Quantcast
Popeye's Chicken Opening Up In Calgary - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Popeye's Chicken Opening Up In Calgary

Originally posted by R154
    Was in Edmonton today. Went to popeyes. Split a 4pc meal with the woman. Had mash potato and slaw.

Chicken was juicy, ordered the spicy. Wasn't very spicy but had decent flavour. Skin was crisp. Breading was similar to Mary browns. The sides were not great. Mash is definitely powdered potato. Had no consistency. Slaw was decent. The biscuit is so not as good as people say.

Portions were on par with KFC.

Overall I will likely not go again for a long time. No real reason to wait in line for it. Not worth it.

Went at the end of lunch and it was still a 20 min wait.
    I'm pretty sure I said basically the same thing on the first page of this thread.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Was in Edmonton today. Went to popeyes. Split a 4pc meal with the woman. Had mash potato and slaw.

Chicken was juicy, ordered the spicy. Wasn't very spicy but had decent flavour. Skin was crisp. Breading was similar to Mary browns. The sides were not great. Mash is definitely powdered potato. Had no consistency. Slaw was decent. The biscuit is so not as good as people say.

Portions were on par with KFC.

Overall I will likely not go again for a long time. No real reason to wait in line for it. Not worth it.

Went at the end of lunch and it was still a 20 min wait.
    The problem isnt that it's not good, the problem is that the wait is so long that the expectation is impossible to meet. I love Popeyes and eat it any chance I get when I'm in the US, but if I had to wait 20+ minutes for it, I'm not doing it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by FixedGear

I'm pretty sure I said basically the same thing on the first page of this thread.
    I suppose since you gave your opinion that any further discussion is moot.

Go back to your pizza reviews. Maybe, wipe your snatch with it and sell your own seafood delight. I'm sure you'd be able to make your own dough with all the yeast you have cultivating.

Fuck off you god damn slug.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Its Quick

Popeyes Canada added 2 new photos.
    5 hrs ·

Thank you for your patience, Calgary! Join us at our official grand opening at 3909 17th Avenue SE tomorrow at 11 AM.

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

Going to try tomorrow for lunch but last night it was lined up to the door at 5:00. Hopefully the experience is better then Fritou. Went there on a Friday evening to discover that they had no white meat and were low on chicken period.

The server was nice and apologized saying they didn't realize the demand so they were running out of chicken. There were a fair amount of folks walking in and walking out empty handed. Might try them in the new year since both places are just a few blocks away from me.

My Ride
    Ford

Had it yesterday in Palm Springs. It was ok. Will try in Edmonton to compare. They have a Twonie Tuesday meal of 2 pieces for 1.89$ down here
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

line was long as hell, however for me this does compare to the American Popeyes.

I would wait at least a month before going back.

Drive thru lines were down the block

My Ride
    2.4L DC5 Turbo/W208

I went on Thursday Dec. 22nd

Drive thru line was around the block.

we went at about 10pm (an hour before the store front closes)

we sat and chilled until 11pm (store front closes at 11 - drivethru midnight) and about 30min before the store front closed. it was pretty dead

I could recommend you go at 10:30pm

Defiantly tastier than KFC/Marry Browns.
    might of preferred the crispiness you get from Korean Fried chicken over this.
    but the meat was defiantly flavorful

Don't forget to try their biscuits (comparable to red-lobster biscuits imo)
    and add the popcorn shrimp for $3 to any combo

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 01:35 PM.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    I went today at 2 pm. Drive-thru lineup still went way down the block (must suck to live on that street right now) so I parked and walked in and was in and out faster than at McDonalds. They are very friendly and fast (for now).

I found it more juicy and flavorful than KFC for sure and the outside is crunchier. The coleslaw was fresh and the biscuit was meh. I'll probably be back sooner or later because I work not too far from there.

So yeah, not bad at all. You'll probably get much better service here than at most American Popeyes... for now anyway.
    The biscuit is definitely meh

Got the chance to try it on boxing day, drive thru line was about 20 minutes. I like the chicken a lot better than KFC. My favourite has always been Yum Yum chicken, then KFC, but I think Popeyes sits as my favourite right now. The spicy flavour was good, could be a bit more spicy though but thats my personal preference. Like everyone else said, crispy skin and moist chicken makes for a pretty good meal. Biscuit was just meh, a little on the salty side. Gravy was interesting, think I still prefer KFC gravy, but overall pretty good. Would definitely go back.

I suppose since you gave your opinion that any further discussion is moot.

Go back to your pizza reviews. Maybe, wipe your snatch with it and sell your own seafood delight. I'm sure you'd be able to make your own dough with all the yeast you have cultivating.

Fuck off you god damn slug.

Seen it on the news and its gotta suck for the people living beside it, street parking with people lined up around the block has got to be horrible

hows the lineup now?

I tried it today. I went in at 445 and no one was in line, but there was 5 groups waiting for thier food, and had my food faster then all of them (about 60 seconds from ordering), so big plus there because KFC you could order a water and it'd take 20 minutes while 6 people run around doing absolutely nothing filling the order of some faggot who ordered half the menu.

As far as it goes.

mary browns is way better IMO, then pop eyes, then kfc.

the biscuit is 100% meh. the fries are soso. the chicken is good but it's pretty hard to screw up fried chicken. One perk is the size of pieces, which are definitely bigger than KFC or mary browns. Even the wing got was huge.

all in all, it was decent but I know my wife will prefer A&W or korean friend chicken though.

My Ride
    Lease

8pm, Thursday.

Line ups are around 7-12 minutes till you get to counter. Another 6-7 minutes after order till pickup.

Quite a view if you're facing International Ave (17th), since it's right across from 7-11... it's like being in a dinner theater.

Haven't had Mary Browns in like 5-7 years so can't compare. But definitely like this better than KFC... but still like Korean crispy chicken equally.

Come to think of it, I think the Lawn would be the only area within 2km where you can do a taste of KFC, Mary Brown and Popeye's all in one shot. (KFC by the Enterprises rental I think, across the Mac/Winks where there used to always be pretty girls hanging around, and Mary Browns just by the McDicks, at the No Frills old trailer park lot)... Would make an interesting Beyond foodie chicken tour. (and by chicken tour, I mean crispy chicken tour... not the Asian slang "chicken")

Like their apple pies better than McDonald's... but didn't like the biscuit as Red Lobsters...

(for non-sexist purpose, there's been a complain/"concern")

Ya could've at least undone the zipper a bit more.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by speedog
    Ya could've at least undone the zipper a bit more.
    Some are just camera shy. Give me a few dates with this one

My Ride
    NC1

Definitely coming here tmr. Getting kinda bored with KFC
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    8pm, Thursday.

Line ups are around 7-12 minutes till you get to counter. Another 6-7 minutes after order till pickup.

Quite a view if you're facing International Ave (17th), since it's right across from 7-11... it's like being in a dinner theater.

Haven't had Mary Browns in like 5-7 years so can't compare. But definitely like this better than KFC... but still like Korean crispy chicken equally.

Come to think of it, I think the Lawn would be the only area within 2km where you can do a taste of KFC, Mary Brown and Popeye's all in one shot. (KFC by the Enterprises rental I think, across the Mac/Winks where there used to always be pretty girls hanging around, and Mary Browns just by the McDicks, at the No Frills old trailer park lot)... Would make an interesting Beyond foodie chicken tour. (and by chicken tour, I mean crispy chicken tour... not the Asian slang "chicken&quot

Like their apple pies better than McDonald's... but didn't like the biscuit as Red Lobsters...

(for non-sexist purpose, there's been a complain/"concern&quot

There's also a Fritous around there somewhere

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by G-ZUS

The biscuit is definitely meh
    I think they don't know how to cook them properly or something. What I see in that picture is nothing like what we got when we were in the US a year ago. Unless they have a different product for Canada, I actually found them quite tasty.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast