Quantcast
Bought a Stolen Car ! What can I do? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Stolen Car ! What can I do?

My Ride
    Model S

Registration being allowed is absolutely dumb, but wouldn't have mattered in this case, because scammer took off with the money already.

There are likely some things that could be done to find him, but:

1) The police would need court orders
    2) The police would need to care

I suggest posting his name / email address just to warn others if nothing else. Sorry to hear though, getting taken for over 10k is a gut punch alright.

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by ndhal417
    Make a GoFundMe page, that's what everyone seems to do these days.
    I wonder if that would work. I'd feel awkward requesting money

My Ride
    bus

Originally posted by Vanish3d

I wonder if that would work. I'd feel awkward requesting money
    Between scat asking for money after crashing and "edit" I say sure why not. Everyone is looking for a handout now a days.
    Last edited by redblack; 10-17-2016 at 03:10 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by googe
    Registration being allowed is absolutely dumb, but wouldn't have mattered in this case, because scammer took off with the money already.

There are likely some things that could be done to find him, but:

1) The police would need court orders
    2) The police would need to care

I suggest posting his name / email address just to warn others if nothing else. Sorry to hear though, getting taken for over 10k is a gut punch alright.
    Theft over 5k is a pretty serious offense in Canada. I am fairly certain the RCMP are going to be after this clown in a much more aggressive manner than if it was a 500$ car.

Regardless, the only things the OP might have done differently is to:

- get a matched ID photo,
    - meet at their residence
    - pay with a bank draft.

Even that wouldnt prevent the actual purchase of a stolen vehicle .... just would help with the aftermath
    Last edited by revelations; 10-16-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Originally posted by redblack

Between scat asking for money after crashing and c45dave getting a new trailer after a fire, I say sure why not. Everyone is looking for a handout now a days.
    Not even the same scenario and scat talked shit about all the people who did GFM's then went and did one himself lol

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

So back on topic here.

How does one protect themselves so that this does not happen? What reasonable steps, that the seller would also agree to realistically, can you do to make sure that the vehicle you are about to purchase is not stolen and is legit?

I mean, someone could steal a car from the airport while the owner is in mexico for 10 days, sell it the next day, and it wouldn't be reported stolen for a week.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by spikerS
    So back on topic here.

How does one protect themselves so that this does not happen? What reasonable steps, that the seller would also agree to realistically, can you do to make sure that the vehicle you are about to purchase is not stolen and is legit?

I mean, someone could steal a car from the airport while the owner is in mexico for 10 days, sell it the next day, and it wouldn't be reported stolen for a week.

and... it could take weeks if not months before it's on the carproof. I know a dealer that took a used vehicle in on trade, neglected to run a carproof and that was that. Police came and took the vehicle, the dealer was out the $5K they paid for it on trade.

I feel really sorry for OP, I hope that you find a solution.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

and... it could take weeks if not months before it's on the carproof. I know a dealer that took a used vehicle in on trade, neglected to run a carproof and that was that. Police came and took the vehicle, the dealer was out the $5K they paid for it on trade.

I feel really sorry for OP, I hope that you find a solution.
    That's a weird scenario too.

Lets say the OP's vehicle didn't get reported stolen yet, the proper owner is on a business trip. Registers and insures it, but then trades it to the dealer for a new vehicle. 4 days later, the cops come and pick up the stolen vehicle....

What happens? Can the dealer go back on the person that traded it in, or is the dealer stuck holding all the cards? (or lack of them in this case...)
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

I think with the dealer it would be a different issue as you made a business deal and signed a contract. Depending on the fine print, you could definitely go after them seeing as its unreasonable to be buying a stolen car from a dealership, plus in the world or social media they would want to avoid any negative press whatsoever regarding that IMO. "I bought my car from ___Motors and its stolen!!" I could see the press have a hayday on that.

Even if they ignore all that then you can still bring them to small claims court and dispute it there.

My Ride
    MR2

This is why the registration system sucks in Alberta. You don't even need the original registration to sell a car. Any bill of sale with any signature will work. Sometimes even any name. I've had that happen before.
    I was in the same boat when buying a used motorcycle. I even called CPS and asked them to check if it's stolen via the VIN, and they told me their database can be up to 15 days out of date. They literally told me there is no way to check if a vehicle is stolen in real time.
    It makes so much more sense in the states where they have a vehicle title system. Nothing can be sold without the original which is not kept in the glovebox of every car.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

This thread is one of those that really opened my eyes. I had no idea it was this easy to peddle a hot vehicle in AB. I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often if its this easy.

There is probably people reading about this, right now, thinking about doing it.

So many loopholes in the AB system, I'd like to see a written best practice to follow when buying a vehicle from a non-dealer. I'd also support lawsuits against the AB provincial government as they are failing in protecting us from those who are able to work the current government system. It is not at all difficult to outline a system that cannot be worked by criminals.

I sold a car in August, she test drove it for ten minutes and returned twenty minutes later with $5,000 in hundreds. I signed over the car, she threw a plate on and drove off. Would have been easy to scam her like the OP.

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by max_boost
    damn that cash vanished. really sorry to hear dude
    I see what you did there. lol

Sorry for your loss OP. I can tell you that you shouldn't have much hope in restitution from the court as even if it happens it will most likely be a negligible amount. Unless the crown gives the accused huge incentive to pay it back in exchange of a lesser sentence and at times even if they do that these sort of individuals don't really have the money to pay back.

Hope something works out.

My Ride
    NC1

Shit man

Only thing I can think of is asking to see insurance, registration and driver's license and see if that person actually owns the vehicle. ..... ???

Never really gave it much thought but all my private car deals I have never done it. Just simply good faith. Shit dang lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by Vanish3d
    name on email matched name on registration matched name on bill of sale. so only thing missing (which is obviously most important) was the ID check. I've bought and sold cars enough times that it became just routine.
    You have to have a piece of ID and the ID number on the bill of sale. What ID did you use? Normally I just use the ID from the Driver's License. Would have you saved you here when you realize it's a different name and addy!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Minimalist
    So many loopholes in the AB system, I'd like to see a written best practice to follow when buying a vehicle from a non-dealer. I'd also support lawsuits against the AB provincial government as they are failing in protecting us from those who are able to work the current government system. It is not at all difficult to outline a system that cannot be worked by criminals.

I sold a car in August, she test drove it for ten minutes and returned twenty minutes later with $5,000 in hundreds. I signed over the car, she threw a plate on and drove off. Would have been easy to scam her like the OP.
    I hate you. You, and people like you.

It is VERY rare to be in the position the OP is in. Extremely rare. Registering a vehicle in other provinces is a f*&king nightmare, it is people like you who advocate for a nanny-state. F*&k right the f*&k off.

shockingly enough, I was able to insure and register it. Then but some fluke I thought of running the VIN on the http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/ and message came up saying it is stolen and I needed to contact police
    So OP actually did not follow standard procedure for buying a used vehicle. In fact, the previous owner was probably covered by their homeowners insurance for the theft and was compensated. I'm not saying he should have kept the stolen vehicle, and he certainly did the right thing, but how iffy is that that he ran the VIN after buying it? What purpose did it serve?

But because of this one instance, you are up in arms. Screw off, go "think of the children" elsewhere. I feel for the OP, I really do. But the system that is in place works if you follow it.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by JustinMCS

You have to have a piece of ID and the ID number on the bill of sale. What ID did you use? Normally I just use the ID from the Driver's License. Would have you saved you here when you realize it's a different name and addy!
    You don't need much of anything on a bill of sale... a name, price and signature. That's it, the fancy BOS you can download is completely optional

Originally posted by ercchry

You don't need much of anything on a bill of sale... a name, price and signature. That's it, the fancy BOS you can download is completely optional
    I think the registries need to get more strict on this. I've always printed and filled completely the AB BOS when buying cars, just reading through the steps in the BOS can help avoid major problems but this still isn't the norm. When I bought my first car I went in to register it and was really worried because I thought the witness had to sign under both signatures. I asked the registry agent and he laughed. Told me that he has had people come in with hand written pieces of paper with barely enough information to identify the car being sold on them and they accept it.

The whole system seems to be stuck in the 50s where a hand shake was good enough and needs to change IMO. It isn't common practice to carproof and CPIC a car and I personally think the registries lax attitude on vehicle registration has a lot to do with it.

Originally posted by redblack

c45dave getting a new trailer after a fire, I say sure why not. Everyone is looking for a handout now a days.
    Still can't get facts straight or let it go huh? Grow the fuck up. I don't understand your petty, whiny hate towards me after what I went through.

Thanks.

Btw...not that it's any of your fucking business, but I've donated quite a bit of money TO GoFundMe accounts. I've also raised tens of thousands of dollars for recipients who've fallen on hard times, including a single Mom who's 5 year old is fighting Cancer, 2 years after her husband died of the same Cancer, that I precisely DIDN'T come on beyond for, because of whiny, butt-hurt, childish attitudes like yours on here.

Fuck you and your "everyone's looking for handouts" dig at me. Fucking douchebag.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 10-17-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Still can't get facts straight or let it go huh? Grow the fuck up. I don't understand your petty, whiny hate towards me after what I went through.

Thanks.

Btw...not that it's any of your fucking business, but I've donated quite a bit of money TO GoFundMe accounts. I've also raised tens of thousands of dollars for recipients who've fallen on hard times, including a single Mom who's 5 year old is fighting Cancer, 2 years after her husband died of the same Cancer, that I precisely DIDN'T come on beyond for, because of whiny, butt-hurt, childish attitudes like yours on here.

Fuck you and your "everyone's looking for handouts" dig at me. Fucking douchebag.

But God forbids sparing some time taking team photos for your sons team is a huge burden. http://forums.beyond.ca/st/397333/when-do-you-charge/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast