Quantcast
Bought a Stolen Car ! What can I do? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a Stolen Car ! What can I do?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Well, for what it's worth, besides relying on his own printed vehicle report, you did all the things normally expected when buying a vehicle.

I always wondered with the ease of forging bill of sales in Alberta if it caused issues for anyone. Then I figured that to register in your name you need your is and insurance, which left a lot of paper trails back to anyone who tried anything.

It might be another reading fail, but wouldn't it be more likely the perp faked his ID instead?

For the record, any time I've felt unsure about a but I've tried to meet them at their home, or taken a photo of their ID. Been through 50 vehicles without incident so far. Fingers crossed that continues, after reading this.

Please keep us informed; want to keep tabs on the story, and hope they nab the asshole.
    I'd say reading fail, but I suspect everything was written to lead readers towards that fail... I believe he never actually asked to see ID, nor ran the vin on his own. Sounds like he played right into the scam by trusting all paperwork provided by the thief

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Honestly i'd probably have fell for it too, i am too casual with getting 100% of the details figured out, but it's ok, i have secondary protection, its called being poor, i cant get scammed if i have nothing to scam...
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Family Hauler

If im actually going to buy the car I always buy the carproof. Saved me from buying a damaged accord for my gf where the ass clowns swore it was never in an accident.

And carfax sucks for canada. Didnt even show my mustang had been hit (not that that was a bad thing before i sold it haha)

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

That is unreal that the registry did not have that information.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Drive it like it's stolen?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by revelations
    So whats to prevent from this being the "next" scam?

Keys are used in about 30% of modern vehicle thefts, owner might not report item stolen for a few days and CPIC might not update very quick (CPIC used to go down on a regular basis, not sure how reliable it is these days).
    Well in this case, to me warning signs are:

A) Cochrane number, Red Deer pick up, hoping registration and DL matches Red Deer address or there may be something fishy. Especially when you are not picking it up at the registration address.

B) Cash deal for $10K. Not sure if I would do that as buyer or seller.

C) Don't know if this is a case of too good to be true because OP never say what he bought. Most scammer on Kijiji has deals that are way too good in order to move it fast.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Wow definitly a lesson or two to be learned here for the rest of us.

Beside cash, what other method of payment would you guys do? Do you get more protection with Certified Cheques or Money Order?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    Wow definitly a lesson or two to be learned here for the rest of us.

Beside cash, what other method of payment would you guys do? Do you get more protection with Certified Cheques or Money Order?
    You would as it would be in the buyers name. If this guy is using a fake ID then he'd have to try and go to a bank and use that same fake ID to deposit the cheque which would entice more notice from the police as he'd also be committing bank fraud.

Unfortunately I've found few buyers are willing to accept certified cheques / money orders as they just assume they're fake/fraudulent.

My preferred method is to meet, look over the car, and take it on a test drive. If I'm satisfied with things then during the test drive we can stop by the bank and have them draw up a cheque/money order for the buyer.

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by Xtrema

Well in this case, to me warning signs are:

A) Cochrane number, Red Deer pick up, hoping registration and DL matches Red Deer address or there may be something fishy. Especially when you are not picking it up at the registration address.

B) Cash deal for $10K. Not sure if I would do that as buyer or seller.

C) Don't know if this is a case of too good to be true because OP never say what he bought. Most scammer on Kijiji has deals that are way too good in order to move it fast.

I bought a 2013 dodge minivan. Original agreed price was 12K but was able to negotiate down to 10.5K after seeing. So price was good, but not stupidly good to raise red flags. I've bought cars before that were sick deals due to sellers personal situations.

It was on a holiday monday so no banks open, or else I would've done draft. The number didn't really raise red flags as I know a lot of calgary people with 780 numbers and edmonton people with 403 numbers. I never googled the number as I saw no reason to.

name on email matched name on registration matched name on bill of sale. so only thing missing (which is obviously most important) was the ID check. I've bought and sold cars enough times that it became just routine.

Anyways, I didn't start this thread to 'learn lesson' to what I did or should've done. In the moment I'm sure everyone is likely to miss SOMETHING.
    I wanted to know if there is any way to recoup my cash... which I've accepted there isnt

as soon as I get more info on the thief, I'll be posting it on kijiji, facebook, etc to help catch the son of a bitch.
    Last edited by Vanish3d; 10-13-2016 at 05:49 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

damn that cash vanished. really sorry to hear dude
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Originally posted by riander5
    Saved me from buying a damaged accord for my gf where the ass clowns swore it was never in an accident.
    Originally posted by riander5
    And carfax sucks for canada. Didnt even show my mustang had been hit (not that that was a bad thing before i sold it haha) [/B]
    Hypocrite much?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Vanish3d
    I bought a 2013 dodge minivan. Original agreed price was 12K but was able to negotiate down to 10.5K after seeing. So price was good, but not stupidly good to raise red flags. I've bought cars before that were sick deals due to sellers personal situations.
    Sounds about right, sorry to hear. Hope you at least catch the perp.

Originally posted by roll_over
    Hypocrite much?
    I think he basically said in Canada Carproof > Carfax.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Originally posted by Xtrema

I think he basically said in Canada Carproof > Carfax.
    He called a guy an assclown for trying to hide an accident on the history then in the next sentence said 'Didnt even show my mustang had been hit (not that that was a bad thing before i sold it haha)' which insinuates he was happy that the accident was hidden from the next buyer.

I'm going to call the pretty hypocritical.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by roll_over

He called a guy an assclown for trying to hide an accident on the history then in the next sentence said 'Didnt even show my mustang had been hit (not that that was a bad thing before i sold it haha)' which insinuates he was happy that the accident was hidden from the next buyer.

I'm going to call the pretty hypocritical.
    ah reading > me. Carry on.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-13-2016 at 08:16 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by CUG
    That is unreal that the registry did not have that information.
    If the RO is away when the vehicle is stolen, there is nothing to report.

Make a GoFundMe page, that's what everyone seems to do these days.

Stolen vehicles are rarely caught at the counter for registries. If a vehicle is flagged as stolen with CPIC, when it gets registered, a silent trigger gets sent to police but the registry clerk is none the wiser.

The other problem is that more often than not, vehicles arent reported as stolen within a timely manner.

Unfortunately, VIN swapping and stolen vehicles have become more common in Alberta within the last year.

Good luck with everything OP.

My Ride
    V167

Dannie, will be in this weekend to renew my vehicles, thanks for your continued posts when threads like these come up.

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    Dannie, will be in this weekend to renew my vehicles, thanks for your continued posts when threads like these come up.
    No Problem. I wont be around this weekend, but the staff are. Also - i bought another office nearby, so if you want the name of that one, you could go there too

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast