Quantcast
Bought a Stolen Car ! What can I do? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a Stolen Car ! What can I do?

My Ride
    Horse

Default Bought a Stolen Car ! What can I do?

Long story short, I bought a mini van for the wife over the weekend. Paid in cash. Everything checked out (vin was good, carproof was good, registration name was same as name on bill of sale) etc

Anyways, turns out it was stolen and sold to me. Police opened a file and took it away. They are investigating and trying to catch the thief. I was told the likely hood of getting my money back was close to none.

I've pretty much accepted that, but is there ANYTHING I can do to get my money back? Just a bit over 10K disappeared.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

If they find him, they could get him to pay you back at least, no?

Why was the VIN not flagged as a stolen vehicle? Where did you check the VIN and learn that it was good?

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by Disoblige
    if he is found, charged, and convicted, they can file for restitution, but likely won't have the money then and will just not pay. (that's what the officer told me)

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Originally posted by Disoblige
    If they catch him, yes you can do a order of restitution.

It'll likely take a looooooong time for that to be awarded though. I've been going through the process since April for a $700 camera lens that ended up being stolen. He was arrested the next day, but skipped court multiple times. Even if you ignore the time between arrests, the process is incredibly slow. I was awarded restitution a month ago and tomorrow I can finally start to put the order through, wonder how much longer it'll be until I finally get my money back.

I've been told that they can force them to pay the money back, but I expect it'll be difficult to squeeze money out of scum. I've counted my money as gone, but it would be cool to get something back.

I'd count on the money being gone. Damn 10k, that sucks
    Last edited by NoPulp; 10-12-2016 at 03:39 PM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by Minimalist
    Why was the VIN not flagged as a stolen vehicle? Where did you check the VIN and learn that it was good?
    I meant the VIN matched the registration which matched car.

shockingly enough, I was able to insure and register it. Then but some fluke I thought of running the VIN on the http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/ and message came up saying it is stolen and I needed to contact police

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

wonder if your insurance would do anything for you since they did insure it for you.. shitty situation for sure.... there's also the CPS victim assistance program, maybe they could help you out?
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Originally posted by Vanish3d
    Then but some fluke I thought of running the VIN on the http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/ and message came up saying it is stolen and I needed to contact police
    I used the same site with the camera lens. The officer said its the first time he's heard of the site actually work

It's a pretty shitty feeling when the site says its stolen and you have to report it.

It's odd that you were able to insure and register it...

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by Thaco
    wonder if your insurance would do anything for you since they did insure it for you.. shitty situation for sure.... there's also the CPS victim assistance program, maybe they could help you out?
    I tried with my insurance, knowing it was a super long shot, but the answer was NO. If it was stolen from me, then yes, but they can't cover me for buying a stolen vehicle.

I'll look into the CPS victim assistance. but something tells me it won't do much

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by Vanish3d

I meant the VIN matched the registration which matched car.

shockingly enough, I was able to insure and register it. Then but some fluke I thought of running the VIN on the http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/ and message came up saying it is stolen and I needed to contact police
    Call your Insurance and claim the police stole it

But really OP that sucks.

I thought car proof had a guarantee of some sort but I went through their website and i cant find anything. i wonder if they stopped that? did they ever do that? Sucks to be in your position sorry.

My Ride
    Blue boy

How does this happen? Did the person you bought it buy it stolen then figure that out and flip it onto you?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I have nothing to add (other than my own questions as to why it didn't come up on a search, as well as how the seller had the registration/ID matching if it was stolen), but just posted to say I'm sorry this happened to you. It must be a pretty awful feeling.

May I ask how much you dropped on this stolen vehicle? Hopefully it was a cheap, old vehicle.

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    I thought car proof had a guarantee of some sort but I went through their website and i cant find anything. i wonder if they stopped that? did they ever do that? Sucks to be in your position sorry.
    Well he had the carproof which was few weeks old. I think he just fluked out and found it in the car when he stole it because it was reported stolen 2 days before I bought it.

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I have nothing to add (other than my own questions as to why it didn't come up on a search, as well as how the seller had the registration/ID matching if it was stolen), but just posted to say I'm sorry this happened to you. It must be a pretty awful feeling.

May I ask how much you dropped on this stolen vehicle? Hopefully it was a cheap, old vehicle.
    well, He had a prefilled bill of sale. I didn't think too much about it. I only checked that the registration name was the same as the bill of sale and that the VIN on reg was same as physical VIN on it.

it was $10,500 - so no, not cheap. Unless 10K is cheap by beyond baller standards.

Originally posted by Kloubek

He said a bit over $10K.

OP: Did you not meet at his house, or did he have you meet somewhere neutral?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by Thaco
    Unfortunately for the OP, there's no insurance angle here.

As a bit of a side note, when we insure a vehicle the VIN is NOT cross checked on any databases for things like it being stolen. I'm surprised registries didn't flag it though?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

oops... reading fail. Sorry.

That is not insignificant.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Description of guy? Location of buy? Photo of him or his license? Take your money back by force.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Thats fucking brutal!

I thought carproof had protection against shit like this if they fuck up. Charge them 10k!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast