Quantcast
Calgary laws for bringing lumber home from store - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Calgary laws for bringing lumber home from store

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

Default Calgary laws for bringing lumber home from store

What are the laws in Calgary as they relate to bringing home lumber from the store??

The last time I went to Reno Depot, I bought about five 2 x 4 x 16s (or maybe they were 14s can't remember) and just put them into my G37x sedan using the ski pass, the guy working there who gave me a red flag to put on the end told me that I technically wasn't allowed to have the lumber stick out of my vehicle more than an X amount of feet (can't remember what he said)...

When I built my deck, I had a Pathfinder where the rear hatch window lifted up and I could just load in the lumber in there really easily and also it was tilted up so I wouldn't have to worry about them sliding out of the vehicle when I drove uphill...

My question, what exactly are the rules/laws in regards to this? Can I load as much as I want into any kind of vehicle I want as long as it's strapped down and not so heavy that it would make the vehicle dangerous? When I used my sedan I was only driving home about 5 minutes away Im pretty sure had I been in a bad accident they would've flown out of my trunk as I didn't do anything at all to secure them down...what if I buy a wagon and want to load them into the back and leave the hatch open, how do I secure it properly and legally?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Is it this?

If a vehicle’s load extends 1.5 metres
    (5 feet) or more beyond the rear of the
    vehicle, the following is required:
    · During daylight hours, a red flag
    should be attached to the end of
    the extension or load. The flag must
    be at least 30 centimeters (one foot)
    long on each of the four sides of
    the square.
    · At night, a red light must be attached
    to the end of the extension or load.
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2043.htm

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

it has to be loaded in a safe and secure manner. Any materials that extend past 4 feet from your vehicle must be made visible with red flagging at the end of it.

or what jwslam said. what I have posted is what I have been going by for the past 25 years.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    V167

Yes what jslam posted.

I love doing ghetto shit like that, I remember bringing a garage door rod (double door) home in my jetta. Put it through the sunroof and had it extend over front of the car. Had a police guy pull up next to me, he didn't even glance (I was shitting bricks).

This is where I have a question as well, What about when the tailgate is down on a truck? Is that the new "back of a vehicle"? Since technically it's attached and did make my truck longer

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

That's nuts but good to know that the only regulation is that anything over 4 ft sticking out just requires a little flag lol... Thanks.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

I had a client who wanted us to haul 4 joints of washed out drill pipe to his farm. When I talked to hm a day later to set it up he said he took care of it hmself. I asked how and he said he lined them up side by side, straddled them with his Ford Crown Victoria and then chained them to the front and rear bumpers. Drill pipe is 9 meters long and I can just imagine the old ukrainian driving down the road like this. LOL

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
    That's nuts but good to know that the only regulation is that anything over 4 ft sticking out just requires a little flag lol... Thanks.
    As long as it's not for commercial purpose, there is little laws.

Even it's for commercial purpose, there is very little enforcement.

Originally posted by Xtrema

As long as it's not for commercial purpose, there is little laws.

Little enforcement? they set up an easily avoidable commercial vehicle inspection trap at least once a month on Barlow between 106 AVE SE and 114 AVE. It's not like you can see it coming before the lights and turn off...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Xtrema

Little enforcement for commercial trucks? HAHAHA

Man, every time you pull into a weigh scale, not only are they checking your axle weights and what your truck is rated for, but they are also checking how your load is secured, if it is safe, if you have the necessary flagging and such.

back in the day, I have had to rearrange my load a few times using my picker because the DOT guy was having a bad day. Or when I was driving a cube van with 1 empty beer keg in the back, I got stopped on symons valley road at a random commercial vehcile inspection (which happened fairly often, I would get stopped 2-3 times a year). They made me sit on the side of the road for 2 hours while I waited for my boss to bring me a tie down strap for the 1 empty keg.

Commercial vehicles are under a TON of scrutiny in Alberta and BC. Neglected trucks don't stay on the road for long here.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by HomespunLobster

Little enforcement? they set up an easily avoidable commercial vehicle inspection trap at least once a month on Barlow between 106 AVE SE and 114 AVE. It's not like you can see it coming before the lights and turn off...
    Can't turn off as those roads are not truck routes, so if they see someone turn off (truck route or not) they have one DOT guy watching specifically for that in his car to go catch them.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by HomespunLobster

I'm talking about in town. I have seen so many dangerous load or uncovered dump trucks around town.

Originally posted by spikerS

Can't turn off as those roads are not truck routes, so if they see someone turn off (truck route or not) they have one DOT guy watching specifically for that in his car to go catch them.
    The amount of vehicles I see that get pulled over are shoddy looking cube vans, pick up trucks, and trailer set ups of not semi size vehicles is quite large. You could easily pull off to avoid the cluster fuck. A lot of the small haulers are quite unsafe

And I've been cut off by a flat decker who pulled out. You can pull a truck out when going west, nothing stopping you. And never seen a single officer take off after someone. I drive that road every day. Twice minimum, both ways. They just wait for the stupid people
    Last edited by HomespunLobster; 10-13-2016 at 07:49 PM.

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

Originally posted by soloracer
    I had a client who wanted us to haul 4 joints of washed out drill pipe to his farm. When I talked to hm a day later to set it up he said he took care of it hmself. I asked how and he said he lined them up side by side, straddled them with his Ford Crown Victoria and then chained them to the front and rear bumpers. Drill pipe is 9 meters long and I can just imagine the old ukrainian driving down the road like this. LOL

Hahaha that is insane, drill pipe would make good fence posts from what other farmers have told me. Or just keep it to be cool.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    Yes what jslam posted.

I love doing ghetto shit like that, I remember bringing a garage door rod (double door) home in my jetta. Put it through the sunroof and had it extend over front of the car. Had a police guy pull up next to me, he didn't even glance (I was shitting bricks).
    LOL its all about the ghetto shit!

Built a retaining wall this summer and i have a short box on my truck with 20' boards hanging at least 12 to 14 feet out the box held in place by bags of concrete. Complete nightmare merging into traffic. Good fun!
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I didn't know the law was only if it extended that amount. I've put a flag on my load any time it extends more than a foot or so....

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

I spotted this guy in Burnaby. He had 6 - 8' 2x4s and about 4 - 4' 2x6s with him. See if you can spot his dog who is also along for the ride.