Quantcast
YYC 5 autox? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: YYC 5 autox?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Curse of the AP1. Another beyonder and I rented a tamer (2003) AP1 in vegas 12 years ago and I took it sideways and managed to drift my way through an off ramp to the In and Out burger. Caught me completely by surprise. But it was easy to correct seems older models are worse.

Compare now a days to the GT350, which is predictable and balanced.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Peterson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I recommend the Karcepts bar -- high quality and a good price.

You will want some adjustable shocks to dial out some of the understeer induced by the FSB. Koni single adjustables are what I use.
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I am hoping to get some info.

Hey Murray,

Looking to upgrade my stock front sway bar and shocks so where do you recommend I get the Karcepts from? What's a good price on one of these bars?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Holy thread bump.

I have a Karcepts front bar. I would suggest dealing directly with Karcepts. Also, no good price, they are what they are, no one really discounts them, but you can usually turn around and sell it for nearly what you paid for it, depending on currency exchange.

If you plan on shocks, I would suggest going through ProParts in the US and get a custom valved set.

https://propartsusa.com/pages/shock-services

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by LUDELVR View Post
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I am hoping to get some info.

Hey Murray,

Looking to upgrade my stock front sway bar and shocks so where do you recommend I get the Karcepts from? What's a good price on one of these bars?
    Hooo boy.

Welcome to the crappy world of S2000 front sway bars. Prepare your wallet!

http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=81
    $725 USD + shipping

http://smallfortuneracing.com/documents/54.html
    $699 USD + shipping

Those are pretty much the only front sway bars worth buying. If you're looking for shocks (and not coilovers), your best bet is Koni Yellows.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Hooo boy.

Welcome to the crappy world of S2000 front sway bars. Prepare your wallet!

http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=81
    $725 USD + shipping

http://smallfortuneracing.com/documents/54.html
    $699 USD + shipping

Those are pretty much the only front sway bars worth buying. If you're looking for shocks (and not coilovers), your best bet is Koni Yellows.
    Holy hell!! I first looked on eBay at front sway bars for s2000s and was like, "This isn't so bad. 100 bux plus shipping." That''ll be like a grand CAD all said and done...for a sway bar! So...I know that this is a must for autocross but how necessary is the upgrade for just driving on the street? I will probably cave and eventually buy one. I am also just thinking of going with Koni yellows to go with my current Espelir springs. I'm not that hardcore and a full coilover set would be overkill for me. I'm just on stock struts which are most likely blown so yeah, baby steps for me.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by LUDELVR View Post
    Holy hell!! I first looked on eBay at front sway bars for s2000s and was like, "This isn't so bad. 100 bux plus shipping." That''ll be like a grand CAD all said and done...for a sway bar! So...I know that this is a must for autocross but how necessary is the upgrade for just driving on the street? I will probably cave and eventually buy one. I am also just thinking of going with Koni yellows to go with my current Espelir springs. I'm not that hardcore and a full coilover set would be overkill for me. I'm just on stock struts which are most likely blown so yeah, baby steps for me.
    Yeah, the swaybars for s2000s are pretty massive, and so they tend to cost more. The "cheap" H&R, eibach, etc, are almost identical to stock, so the only decent ones are Gendron or Karcepts. It's been on my "to buy" list for a while. It's more necessary if you're running a square setup, whereas you're staggered, I'd say it's less necessary, but something to still look into. Cagare is right, if you're looking for the best bang for buck, the custom valved ones are ideal. The Koni Yellows are easy toss ins if you're replacing blown shocks, but I wouldn't expect killer performance out of them.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Honda S2000

Avoid the Gendron standard bar - if you look at the mounts, they are just bog standard Energy bushings, and I broke one or two of those every year. Karcepts gives you a quality mount that should last for a long time. Or go with the Gendron monster bar, which uses ball bearing mounts (more money BTW).

Off the shelf Koni shocks are worthless for autox -- you have to get revalved ones from Pro-Parts.

All of this is for autox use (in street class). If you are changing springs, then you don't need a super stiff bar, but can use the springs to do the job. Coilovers would be best here.
    The best part of life isn't around the corner. It IS the corner.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Considering that I'm pretty sure his S2000 is turbo, I don't think he'd fit in street anyways.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Honda S2000

In that case, this forum would be a better place for advice (STR setup instead of street classes):
    https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...-links-904911/

The monster-sized sway bars are a hack to make up for our inability to change springs in street classes. Oncew you can change springs, then it's a whole new ball game.
    The best part of life isn't around the corner. It IS the corner.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Peterson View Post
    In that case, this forum would be a better place for advice (STR setup instead of street classes):
    https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...-links-904911/

The monster-sized sway bars are a hack to make up for our inability to change springs in street classes. Oncew you can change springs, then it's a whole new ball game.
    Yeah he is likely modified beyond STR but still a good discussion around struts and coilovers. By the time you pay for a good set of struts you may as well put a little more money down and get a decent set of coilovers.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quite a bit to consider. I was under the impression it was just some koni yellows and I was good to go! Yeah, the off the shelf ones are about 1000 cad but I've seen some coilovers hi for 3 grand! I am not that hardcore and will do the occasional autocross for fun but not like some if the guys here who practically live on the track.

So what suspension setup or coilover setup would you recommend? A friend just bought the hks set for around 2 grand. I just want something that can hit my current ride height with my espelir sprongs and to replace my more than likely blown stock struts. The car is turbo'd with staggered 18" wheels.and mostly sees everyday summer street driving with maybe 2 to 3 autocross days in the season.

Cheers for all the useful info lads! Totally appreciate It!!

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Turbo would be SSM class as a minimum ... where you have to spend a lot of money if you want to be competitive. Or you can also run Open PAX class if you care only about time.

However with that extra power it would be a damned good idea to sort out the suspension because even a stock S2000 can bite you in the ass! (I know, I have had one since 2004 and am part-owner in another one - race car). I have also driven many S2000's (all kinds of various mods) over the years in schools I have taught and they are a fun car but a bit tricky to drive.

As Murray said, if you are keeping the stock springs, you will need a really, really big front sway bar to make up for the very soft front springs. Guy Ankeny in Simi Valley (LA) also makes a FSB for it (My street car and race car has his sway bars ... and his setup of Penske racing shocks ...). They work really well and you can balance the handling with them.

However, if you are changing the springs/coilovers then you should increase the spring rates substantially in the front (waaaay too soft from the factory) compared to the rear. Were they making a FWD? Honda made a mistake here.

If you want a competition car, then that is another story again.

Note that if you go to stiffer and stiffer spring rates, your shocks will have to be re-valved to be able to handle the additional spring rate. A koni yellow off the shelf is not going to do it. Really it is slightly stiffer "street" shock and, in fact, not as good performance as the stock shocks. Guy Ankeny does a great job with this as I mentioned earlier. Proparts in LA is also good for re-valving shocks (get other Konis beyond the yellow ... sort of an introductory shock).

Anyway, realize that books have been written about this subject, so we aren't really scratching the surface here. Good, like really good shocks, cost a lot more (think $3-5k) but they are really amazing.

Guy's web site (you can find ARE on FB as well):

http://www.ankenyracingenterprises.com/

Anyway ...

Reijo
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

My Ride
    '03 S2000

BTW, the STR guys down in the 'States are running rates like 1000 lb/in in the front and 800 lb/in in the rear. Koni yellows off the shelf will not control those springs.

R
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4