Quantcast
Working in the States input - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Working in the States input

My Ride
    4Runner

Talking Working in the States input

Just wanted to see what you beyonders experience were, when working in the U.S.
    To those who have firsthand experience with it, what was the general process of applying to work in the US.
    Currently I’m working as a Structural/Piping Drafter with 2.5 years of experience in mostly Structural 3D drafting, I can also do Piping Isometrics.

Im guessing Ill have to first apply for a job in the U.S (obviously), then what next?
    Do I just go to Indeed or Workopolis, apply and state in my Cover Letter that I want to work in the US as a Draftsman?
    Once offered a position, do they set everything up for me or are there things I can do ahead of time that will make this whole process easier.

Just need a change of scenery from Calgary been living here since I was 7yrs PLUS ill be able to get a LHD supra easier from there then import it back when I decide to move back to Canada.
    My parents have a house in Sacramento but I was looking for jobs in Texas (O&G), Sacramento or Colorado ( I really like to snowboard in the winter). So what do you beyonders think, or any opinions are also welcomed.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 07:04 PM.

My Ride
    X5

Bit more complicated than just applying online. Not an expert, but basically you would need a company in the US willing to apply for a visa on your behalf (TN would be easiest under NAFTA), or if you don't fit any of the categories then H1-B which is very tough to get, as there is a limited number issued every year IIRC.

There is more to it than that as I'm sure other beyonders can talk about it more.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Pretty big pain in the arse. 'Murica doesn't want us furriners to take der jahbs.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by kaput
    Based on your qualifications and experience, the best option is probably the NAFTA malo hombre approach, which involves flying to Mexico and then crossing the border on foot at night.
    I didn't want to be a dick, but since I was in the same field for 6 years.... yeah...

Only real way I see it happening is by opening your own shop down there... I believe there is still a visa you can get if you are employing enough Americans... plus a certain amount of capital invested

My Ride
    4Runner

Haha, well sounds like im shit out of luck, or its just a major hassle.
    Since we have property their, is there any way I can stay in Sacramento for the maximum allowed of months,
    find work in the stated then start from there?

Work is starting to get really slow, so if i get laid off, my plan is either travel for a year, or
    try to look for jobs somewhere else in a different country. Either way i saved a pretty big Emergency fund for me to last at least a year.

It may be easier to set up and schedule interviews if you're living there but you still need to have a visa to work in the US.

Do it right the first time...

If / when you get caught you can be fucked for life to even enter again on vacation.

I have has numerous TN-1 Visa's over the past 15 years. I am confident that its why I rarely get hassled entering the states now...For work or vacation.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited