Quantcast
Calgary Police Association Toy Drive - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Calgary Police Association Toy Drive

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Calgary Police Association Toy Drive

I got a call on my cell from a random number and they were saying that they are calling from the Calgary Police Association and are looking for people to donate to the toy drive they are doing for underprivileged children. Mentioned they have a few different packages etc depending on the amount of donation. The guy was insisting and kept saying can the Calgary Police Association count on your support.

I probed him a little to give me some more information and if there is anything online I could look at. Then he goes I need to know if we can count on you and I can forward you to our verification department. Anyway, it sounded fishy as hell but I wasn't sure. Either way, I said no I am not giving out any information over the phone without being properly informed. The guy sounded very authoritative with a deep voice and spoke good English.

With all the recent scams and shit, I just didn't feel comfortable. Thought I'd post up and see if anyone else got any of these or has any information on if it's legit or not.

Edit: Did some googling and found this link;

http://calgarypolicefoundation.com/c...sing-campaign/

Seems like it is an actual thing. But not sure why the guy couldn't give me some website where I could get more information on it or perhaps even the link I posted above.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 10-21-2016 at 05:33 PM.

My Ride
    This and that.

And there is this link as well

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/donation-s...olice-1.545945

Funny enough, the guy mentioned that they can accept a donation as small as $25 specifically. So perhaps it was someone trying to scam knowing that Calgary police got this going on.

What was the number? 403-279-xxxx? I've gotten 2 calls from the same number so I looked up the number and seems like a lot of people are experiencing the same thing. Caller is aggressive and pushes for a donation for the Calgary Police foundation over the phone. Ended up just blocking the number lol

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just got the call, pretty sure its automated to an extent. Can tell when you get the "sorry didn't hear you pickup" message interrupt you when you first say hello.

Thing with those messages is they only work once.

Have also had like 3 assorted door to door salesmen this week

Shit should be banned.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I've gotten that call, something didn't sound right and when I said no and he got pushy I hung up. I've had a few door to door people as well lately, Amnesty International was the worst, she dove into some awful story about a women sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia, I couldn't cut her off. Boy Scouts popcorn last night, was gonna say no but that caramel corn looked fuckng tastey. Want me to donate? Throw a $2 bag of caramel corn into my $20 donation
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    This and that.

Ya the guy got pretty pushy with his authoritative voice and shit and kept saying "calgary police association" as if I am supposed to be scared or something. I am thinking in my head, I deal with the cops on a daily basis what are you trying to say. lol

Anyway, ya I said hello a couple of times when I first answered and then the guy is like "sorry didn't hear you pick up" and went on. I didn't realize that was a thing. Freaking annoying as shit. Oh well, now I know.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I got a ring.com doorbell so when they ring it a live video feed pops up on my phone. I don't even bother answering door to door people anymore. It's awesome haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    I got a ring.com doorbell so when they ring it a live video feed pops up on my phone. I don't even bother answering door to door people anymore. It's awesome haha.
    I've thought about picking one up, sounds worth it?
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    I've thought about picking one up, sounds worth it?
    Very much so. Probably the most usable home automation device I've bought so far. I'll try to write up a review this week on it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

We have Vivant. Doorbell takes pics, sends video clips, you can see and talk to whoever is at the door through the doorbell with your phone.

We also have 6 hd cameras around the house. Same deal, you can watch them on the phone, set motion sensor areas per camera by assigning what areas of the grid to use, sends alert to the phone if breached.

Door to door is dead.

My Ride
    Silverado

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...scam-1.3641701

The Calgary Police Foundation is warning about rude and aggressive telemarketers using their name to supposedly raise money for youth activities.

They want to assure the public that the calls are not being made by the Foundation or police officers.

The Foundation says it has never used phone solicitation to raise money, and it's warning the public to be very careful when talking to anyone who claims to be from the Foundation or the Calgary Police Service.

The Foundation is a not-for-profit organization which raises money to fund youth programs to keep kids safe from crime.
    just noticed this is covered in the second post..