Quantcast
Traffic incident witnessed by Police - advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Traffic incident witnessed by Police - advice

Default Traffic incident witnessed by Police - advice

Yesterday I committed a minor traffic violation in-front of a police officer that was not able to give chase to ticket me. A few minutes later I got a call from a blocked number which I didn't answer because I was driving I just got the voicemail now and it was the officer that called me instructing me to call him back regarding the matter.

Can he give me a ticket if I call him back? If I don't call him back, what are the repercussions?

I assume if I call he will use our conversation as an admission of guilt and send me a ticket in the mail. If I don't call he sends me a registered owner ticket?

Advice?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

the officer witnessed the infraction. If you call him back, he is likely just going to give you a warning. If you don't, he may just show up on your doorstep in person and give you a ticket.

I would call him back in this case.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

If you don't call him back he may show up on your doorstep, that will guarantee a ticket.

Give him a call.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

It depends on the offense. If it was something like speeding, that can be just sent to the RO (no need to ID driver) , they will just mail it.

My Ride
    ute

You can call him back, but not admit to anything.

Thanks for the replies so far. I live in a condo so I don't think he will be coming here anytime soon. And even if, I am almost never home. I am expecting a ticket in the mail.

My Ride
    Ford F150

If you're expecting a ticket, call him like a man and talk it out. He may just tell you to smarten up. Not like it can make matters worse, you're already expecting a ticket.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Eclipse

ya if you expect a ticket its a freeroll and maybe he will give you a warning...

There is no harm in calling him now...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    ute

how minor is minor

I pulled a U turn on a green light and gunned it the other way and I have a loud exhaust which probably made it seem like I was going faster than I was. I did not break the speed limit.

Originally posted by Kobe
    ya if you expect a ticket its a freeroll and maybe he will give you a warning...

There is no harm in calling him now...
    The reason I don't want to call is in the conversation I will be have to do one of two things, A, admit to my wrong doing potentially and most likely resulting in a demerit bearing ticket or B, being forced to lie or be evasive which I clearly don't want to do.

Id rather get a registered owner ticket and avoid the demerits

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:12 PM.

My Ride
    G6

I see zero benefit and lots of potential negative in calling him back.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

This thread is all the supporting evidence he will need if it ever gets that far (I am pretty sure CPS is either monitoring Beyond or have members among us).

Originally posted by BMDUBS
    Yesterday I committed a minor traffic violation in-front of a police officer that was not able to give chase to ticket me.
    Originally posted by BMDUBS
    I pulled a U turn on a green light and gunned it the other way and I have a loud exhaust which probably made it seem like I was going faster than I was. I did not break the speed limit.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I could see it going both ways, where calling him back results in a warning, or it resulting in a ticket with demerits.

But if it was me, I wouldn't call him back. Not even sure how he was even able to call you, unless you're a unique name on the public phone directory?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Or you can give the number to the toy drive guy

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

You should call him back for Beyond research, I want to know what he has to say

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Here is my question - how did he get your cell phone number so quickly? You said you got a call while still driving shortly after the cop saw you. IIRC your cell phone isn't attached to your DL in any way.

This is the most interesting part of this thread IMO. Anyone have any ideas on how CPS would get your cell phone # just based off a license plate? There are so many cell carriers, that just having a search done in your name based on the registered owner seems like it would take days, not minutes. I can also see if the officer got your home number if you have a home number in the same name as your plates. Otherwise...wtf?
    Last edited by Gman.45; 10-24-2016 at 01:15 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The info is freely available to cops. I've had calls from cops regarding stolen stuff being sold on Beyond years ago, and I asked them how they got my number. They said they're cops, they know everything.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

So they have a database with cell phone numbers/names for every Albertan which they have access to, just like a phone book for home numbers but electronic then? I guess this shouldn't be surprising these days. Obviously there must be some system or it's hooked into CPIC perhaps, that any name they run will show any phones or devices in that name. It's either that or the OP is under investigation or an open file, or is "known' and his cell info is attached to whatever comes up when the plates/name is run on CPIC/car computer I think.

Regarding the OP topic, I would call him back, no question about it, and start by apologizing for driving like an ass, and then tell the officer you're willing to drive yourself to meet him where it's convenient so you can listen to what he needs to say, and accept any paper on it he deems necessary. This in my opinion is your best odds play right now. As Kobe said, it's a freeroll, and not a negative freeroll either, but a positive one. You're already almost certain to get a ticket in the mail if he went to the trouble to look up your number and call you IMO, so why not see if being polite and sorry doesn't get you a reduction or even perhaps just a warning? I think it's pretty obvious you have little to lose and possibly something to gain. Ignoring the officer vs not IMO is your worst option.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 10-24-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast