Quantcast
Pipeline protests - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Pipeline protests

Default Pipeline protests

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police-...hill-1.3129363

How do we get more rail cars going through their neighbourhoods?

Statistical Summary – Railway Occurrences 2013
    http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/stats/rail/2013/ssro-2013.asp

You would think after a train blew up and destroyed half a town these people would be a little more open to pipelines.

What drives me nuts is not a SINGLE oil company has put out any news releases etc to educate them on the benefits of pipelines.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by vengie
    You would think after a train blew up and destroyed half a town these people would be a little more open to pipelines.

What drives me nuts is not a SINGLE oil company has put out any news releases etc to educate them on the benefits of pipelines.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    The general public is anti-pipeline. The best thing a pipeline company can do is hide in the shadows. If they start running ads then the general public is more away of them and they'll be more in the spotlight.

If you were to ask most protesters how common pipelines were or where most of them were located most of them would be clueless. They only care about protesting the big name ones like keystone.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by pheoxs

The general public is anti-pipeline. The best thing a pipeline company can do is hide in the shadows. If they start running ads then the general public is more away of them and they'll be more in the spotlight.

If you were to ask most protesters how common pipelines were or where most of them were located most of them would be clueless. They only care about protesting the big name ones like keystone.

Yup pretty much this. If you speak against the protestors you are a shill. If you do any research and it has any amount of money from an oil company, the entire piece is discarded regardless of the merit.

The self-righteousness and smugness of how right they believe they are is why I just ignore them now. No amount of education or facts will change their view. They have a counter argument to a lot of facts and then when they run out, they label you a shill to discredit what you're saying so they "win" the argument.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Yeah imagine if these protesters spent half the energy the spend on fighting the big bad oil companies on coming up with the technologies we need to move forward the world might actually be a better place. Then again I guess it's easier to get payed by US interests wanting to block Candian energy from the world market http://business.financialpost.com/fp...-oil-pipelines

Originally posted by pheoxs
    [B]

I just don't see that logic, but I digress, as it seems to be exactly what the oil companies and politicians are doing.

If I were the CEO of an oil company, I'd be running ads that expose the truth on the matter, and the ads would also tactfully include the ignorance of these protesters.

Originally posted by hampstor
    The self-righteousness and smugness of how right they believe they are is why I just ignore them now. No amount of education or facts will change their view. They have a counter argument to a lot of facts and then when they run out, they label you a shill to discredit what you're saying so they "win" the argument.
    I agree with this only because the facts are not presented at all, or presented poorly.

But I digress again, as if you look at previous other significant protests such as workers rights, race rights, Vietnam, etc, the protesters were aware. Now, most protesters seem to do so as a herd mentality, "fashion" statement, and general walking dead ignorance.

Originally posted by dubhead
    Yeah imagine if these protesters spent half the energy the spend on fighting the big bad oil companies on coming up with the technologies we need to move forward the world might actually be a better place.
    For the third digression, are these people even capable of critical thought to see your point?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by Seth1968

If I were the CEO of an oil company

April Fools isn't in October

My Ride
    Z

Enbridge has run ads. Already forgot the whole Tim Hortons thing?
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Great article here by Vivian Krause. Think she hit the nail on the head on the propaganda war that the Canadian economy wrt mining and oil/gas is fighting ... all funded by US interests no less. Notably the US has become a major exporter (incl. eastern Canada) and our oil cannot get to the markets via the coasts. Thus far we have lost the PR and social wars battles.

http://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/20...ction-machine/

Is it unfair? Is it propaganda? Is it full of lies? Is our general public misled? Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Engineers etc. are very poor at this war ... totally unprepared ... perhaps even unaware of what has happened ... We have been outsmarted, plain and simple. And it is destroying our political climate and economy ... especially in Alberta.

http://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/20...ction-machine/

Step 1: Dump the NDP ... asap.
    Step 2: Dump the federal liberals ... or separate.
    On-going ... the media battles. We all have to do our part to figure out what is happening and spread the news ... the truth.

R
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

I'll read the Krause article, not sure if Alberta Oil Magazine has the franchise on being unbiased.

I lean to the eco side of things and even I understand that pipelines are the best way to transport oil to the coasts. The USA loves to have us fucking around here as it only lowers their cost to the USA when we can't get the deals done to both coasts.

Charge more for non-Canadian oil I say, in other words, imported oil into Canada. The Irving family has been bending Canada over forward for decades with self-interest.

If you have an engineering degree, you need to leave the room as you're useless in marketing, PR and media manipulation. Stick to what you do best, building and designing shit.
    Last edited by Minimalist; 10-26-2016 at 08:59 PM.