Quantcast
HELP! Hail Damage Car, Total loss question? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: HELP! Hail Damage Car, Total loss question?

My Ride
    UA6/AP1/W202

Default HELP! Hail Damage Car, Total loss question?

Situation: Girlfriend's 2006 TSX got hit with hail in the NE area in July. She finally got it reappraised and car was a write off. She took total loss of the car as how much she is getting a lot more than what she paid for. Basically a no brainer to give up the car THEN take half of the payment and car itself.
    NOTE: Car is in POS condition before hail so it helped us to get the chance to get rid of it.

Car has a 2 way starter installed(COMPUSTAR). She installed it couple months after she bought it. Fast forward to 1.5yrs where the where hail happened in July.
    We decided to part the starter for her future car. It's an aftermarket part so shouldn't be affected with what the car comes with since starters don't come from factory?
    EDIT: Ever since starter was installed we had no problems using it when cranking. Car always started, even through -20 weather last winter.

TWIST:Starter has been removed and car drove fine. A couple days after car had issues turning. It threw codes "CHECK EMISSIONS, VSA LIGHT ON ETC." Turned the key and wouldn't crank. Immobilizer light was flashing so car as recognizing the key but still wouldn't turn. Unplug negative terminal and waited a bit and car turned and all was ok.
    NOTE: Battery has been replaced beginning of the year with another OE battery so power is good

A week later the same situation happened the second time, this time even unplugging the battery and waiting for 10 minutes the car did not turn. Computer did reset, the radio etc.. but the codes will still be there. This time she is fucked car does not start at all.

NOTE: Battery still good, no blown fuses, and everything should be connected otherwise car wouldn't drive prior.

Towed it back to the installer of the starter to review any missing things, bad ground, etc car was looked through... and everything was fine. It was very weird because the car was working intermittently until now it just simply died.

INSURANCE: The day it happened the following day was for insurance to pick up with a tow. We delayed the tow because of reasons for work and needed car but we just wanted to fix the problem. However to this day nothing has been solved.

Car is at Acura dealership being diagnosed and looks like nothing has to be found. Which leads me to get advice from you guys as this is the first time dealing with insurance with this situation?

She will probably be paying the dealership for diagnosing the problem but at this point I don't know what to do anymore.
    Should she just risk it and reschedule appointment to pick up the car as "drivable" since they are towing it? OR should she inform the insurance that something has happened? OR take half the cost of the damage and live with the car?

EDIT: Insurance reassured her if the car is drivable. So risking this might be a problem in the future.

LESSON LEARNED: If you are UP with the car. Just let the insurance take everything and don't fuck with the car period. Now we learned and will never part anything again especially a starter.

long story short car is a write off. Signed the total loss form. Parted the starter. Car shit the bed a week after. Tow truck pickup was the day after. Delayed pick up. Car is still not fixed. Risk it and let them take car hoping full amount will come ? OR inform them about the situation OR take the damaged cost with the car ?

I need your guys help! What should she do ?
    Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by Seikencube; 10-25-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

my brother works for a tow company that picks up write offs, AFAIK, just tell insurance to come pick it up, they usually wont even care if it has keys or whatever, they just take it to an auction and then its someone elses problem, the auction doesn't really care if it has keys, they wont let people test or anything anyway, its all as is where is.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Sucks to hear cant wait for the responses. I would say dump her (and said car) and move onto someone new (with more common sense)
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

I don't understand.

My Ride
    12 TL

Hi,

I would like to purchase the car with remote starter.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Question of the day, why are you trying to fix a car that has been written off and ready to be towed?

remove the starter and give it to the insurance, end of story.

My Ride
    UA6/AP1/W202

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Question of the day, why are you trying to fix a car that has been written off and ready to be towed?

She was worried they will question her if they check. But I guess she has nothing to lose now
    Last edited by Seikencube; 10-25-2016 at 03:52 PM.

My Ride
    12 TL

Originally posted by Xtrema

I think the main plot is that they mentioned to the Insurance company that the car will be in driveable condition upon retrieval.

Therefore, they are worried about what would happen if they are to give the vehicle in non-running condition.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by Seikencube

She was worried they will question her if they check. But I guess she has nothing to lose now
    like i said, they will tow it to an auction yard, they already did their assessment and all that, they wont even see the car again, and if they say anything, tell her to play dumb... ?!?!?!?!?! "it was working when i parked it" ?!?!?!?!
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    08 Suzuki SX4,06 Nissan Titan

I dont think they care.

when my car got wrote off for hail this year I took the battery and never heard any complaints.