Quantcast
Surface Studio - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Surface Studio

Default Surface Studio

New AIO from Microsoft.

Starts at US$2,999 - Holiday release in limited quantities. Pre-order starts today.

Full specs here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surf...dio/tech-specs

- 28" multitouch screen (12.5mm thin)
    - 13.5M pixels, 3:2 aspect ratio, 192 PPI (so just below 5K?)
    - Core i7
    - 32GB RAM
    - GTX 980M (weird)
    - Built-in XBOX controller receiver
    - 2.1 built-in speakers
    - Built-in mic array for Cortana
    - HD Camera + Windows Hello
    - Can switch between DCI-P3 to SRGB colour mode on-the-fly.
    - "True scale": 1-inch on the screen is 1-inch in real life. No need for print preview as documents just look how they will be when you print them out.

- Targeted at creators and professionals.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version

- Surface Dial + Surface Pen support
    > Surface Dial allows you to replay the things you write in a document. Helps show "emotion" from the writing (replays every stroke you make).
    > Dial can be used for almost any function - e.g. you can turn the dial as you draw with the pen to change colour smoothly.

click for larger version
    Last edited by Xaroxantu Zero; 10-26-2016 at 10:36 AM.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Why the 980m...? Pulling an Apple move by putting outdated hardware in. Should have been at least a 1060

Looks pretty slick. So is the monitor a matte IPS panel with hardware calibration then if they are targeting creative professionals? If so that would be awesome.

The previous generation 9XX series GPU's are better for graphics work (i.e. not games) than the new 1XXX series GPUs, which could explain that decision. Or maybe they just got a deal on them from Nvidia haha.

Thinnest LCD monitor ever built? Doesn't pretty much every high end laptop have a way thinner one?

From the livestream, it looks like the monitor is glossy. They haven't mentioned the type of panel.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

MS is basically targeting the hardcore long time Mac users with this. Will be interesting to see if they can actually make them switch, or if this will be another massive flop.

Really glad to see MS actually doing some innovations. Now they just have to execute flawlessly. Even tho the Surface Pro is a great piece of hardware, MS is still able to fuck shit up and break things, and make it a little less polished than Apple.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Noticed that they didn't even touch Surface Pro this year. I think that is going to bite them in the ass unless they seem to think that the SurfaceBook is more like a replacement for the Surface Pro?

They weren't exactly bursting at the seems with power a year ago...

Meanwhile all new macbooks out tomorrow...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by eglove
    Why the 980m...? Pulling an Apple move by putting outdated hardware in. Should have been at least a 1060
    Probably 10 series card debut too late in the development cycle for QA.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by killramos
    Noticed that they didn't even touch Surface Pro this year. I think that is going to bite them in the ass unless they seem to think that the SurfaceBook is more like a replacement for the Surface Pro?

They weren't exactly bursting at the seems with power a year ago...

Meanwhile all new macbooks out tomorrow...
    The Surfacebook is supposed to be the competitor to the Macbooks. The Surface Pro is a weird one, kinda slotting between MBP/Ipad Pro.

MS is halfway there right now, they're making their own hardware which is great, but they really need to focus on making the software (Windows) really take advantage of their own hardware and make the experience simple and effective. It's inexcusable that a year into the SP and SB, we're seeing reboot loops from an update, or hell, still failing to wake up from sleep randomly, all because they still rely on Intel for drivers and are at the mercy of Intel developers.

That's the strength of Apple, Google recognizes that with the Pixel and is moving in that direction, while the Surface line really is just another Windows laptop with a touchscreen. I mean look at the MS store, they sell Dell, HP, Lenovos that do the exact same thing as the Surface.

The Surface Studio is slowly moving in that direction at least when it comes to input devices, but MS needs to be quicker at it especially at the software side of things. Kinda fucked that MS is really a software company that still can't get it right.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea it's that kind of shit that is making me think of picking up another Macbook... It's one thing for the surface to never work when it's just a toy for me ( I have fun with tweaking settings etc. to tailor the experience) . But if I need a computer that actually works every time you turn it on then its hard to compete with Apple, at least in my experience. And when something is actually off they are world class in repairs and replacements. Compared to having to dig through forums and firmware BS just to get the thing to operate as advertised with the surface, fine if you have the time and inclination like I said. Depends on what you need the device for at the end of the day.

Good news, for me at least, with them not updating the hardware, is I can sell my pro 4 for a decent price a year out if I decide to go that direction. At the end of the day the touchscreen was 90% just fun for me and not so much useful for productivity.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, the touchscreen is awesome for me using Lightroom and Photoshop. For normal users, the touchscreen is completely useless because nobody has really re-engineered their applications for a touch interface. Their support is pretty half assed too. When my SP4 lost touch sensitivity on a part of the screen, the support rep who was connected to my SP4 wiped the damn thing on me. Luckily, I was all backed up, no harm no foul, but if I wasn't, I would've been pissed.

My Ride
    Grimace