Quantcast
looking for movers in calgary - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: looking for movers in calgary

I ended up going with Amazing Grace Movers. It was an afternoon move, they came in right on time, gave them a quick walk through of all the items and they started right away. Everything was organized and stacked pretty neatly in their truck. All furniture and fragile items were wrapped with a blanket and certain items (eg. TV) were strapped so they stayed in place. Overall, I have no negative things to say. Price was reasonable, no damage to the items or walls while loading/unloading, and they were professional throughout the process.

My Ride
    03' B6

Hired Mountain Mover last week as a referral from my realtor. I requested that one of the owners be on the job and they were awesome. There were 3 of them and super efficient. Mind you, we moved out a lot of out the smaller boxes out ourselves and left the bigger stuff to them. For a house that was 1800 sq feet, took them about 5 hours and was $139/hr

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Hired Amazing Grace to move last week. We had moved all the stuff into a single garage, both big items (sofa, mattress, TV stand) to small boxes, and they came and loaded everything up and moved to the new house.

I originally booked them for 1pm but they said they finished the morning job early and could be there at 11am, which was too early so I asked for 12pm, and they came right at 12:00pm. They were very efficient but very careful with the stuff, and got everything done in 3 hours. Only sort of complaint is one of the guys took a dump in the new house near the end of the move and it stunk up the place, but overall very happy with them. Rate was more than reasonable. Almost felt too low for the amount of work so i just gave them a healthy tip. I would recommend them.

How do damage claims work with movers? Say you had something damaged, how would you prove it wasn't damaged (I.e. that scratch wasn't there before) before hand? Do you need to go around and take pictures of everything you own before it gets packed? I imagine most of the time moving damage is minor (scratches, blemishes, dents, etc.) and not as clear cut as breaking a vase or whatever so I was wondering how you claim something like that or if it's a major PITA.

My Ride
    KTM

Tried to hire Amazing Grace movers for our move but they were booked so hired Mountain Movers. I was really organized and essentially just had them move larger furniture and anything I didnt want to lift. Took three guys four hours to load and unload including travel which I thought was pretty good. They pretty much busted ass the entire time. My only beef was the one mover (east coast guy, young) was hanging around hard looking for a tip at the end of the job......super annoying. I had planned to give the boss of the crew $50 to take them for lunch anyway which I did.

My Ride
    N54B30O1

Are gratuities expected? If so, what's customary?

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by CokerRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are gratuities expected? If so, what's customary?
    No idea, they worked hard and I thought they deserved it. Annoyed me because I thought i was being a nice guy but there was apparently an expectation there. At the end of the day if I gave them nothing I wouldnt have lost sleep over it haha.

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

Hired Red Mile Moving again over this past weekend, they gave me a 10% discount for being a repeat customer. 2 guys, 4.5 hours (45 minutes of it was driving), they were very careful and respectful of everything and laid down a rubber bottom sort of yoga mat style fabric runner all through the house and up the stairs. They worked hard and didn't slow down, even wrapped several fragile items at no extra cost. I tipped 20% of the total before discount, no idea what is customary but they were both very appreciative of the tip.

My Ride
    M3P

I've used Red Mile in the past and also had a satisfactory experience. They were quick and polite. I bought them lunch at the end. Would use again.

Quote Originally Posted by bh87 View Post
    Hired Red Mile Moving again over this past weekend, they gave me a 10% discount for being a repeat customer. 2 guys, 4.5 hours (45 minutes of it was driving), they were very careful and respectful of everything and laid down a rubber bottom sort of yoga mat style fabric runner all through the house and up the stairs. They worked hard and didn't slow down, even wrapped several fragile items at no extra cost. I tipped 20% of the total before discount, no idea what is customary but they were both very appreciative of the tip.
    What's their hourly rate?

My Ride
    V8s

Bump. Anyone have anything to add from their more recent experiences?

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

We are using Two Men and a Truck. Their rate is $199/hr for 3 people. That seems about typical from our calling around.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Yes, I used "RelocateYou" last Saturday for a move from my condo to townhouse.

They were on time, very careful with everything and no extra charges for fuel or travel time etc.

$129.00/hour + GST for 2 movers and a 26 foot U Haul. Minimum 2 hours, after 2 hours you're billed in 30 minute increments.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Mountain movers were really great for us last year.

We used 3 burley men a few years back and it was a terrible experience.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

2 Small Men With Big Hearts would be a DON'T BUY from me.

My Ride
    Fremont

Mountain Movers in October 2022, paid by the hour for 3 movers + 1 truck.
    Used these guys as they moved a coworker a couple years prior, we share similar positive experiences.
    They call themselves white-glove service. They pack & unpack as much or little as you want, doesn't matter as they charge by time.

Moved garage junk, bbq & outdoor furniture, upper floor, main floor & basement's furniture, plus awkward air bike, squat rack, & plates no problem.

The 3 moved quickly & efficiently; Tetris'd into the truck the furniture from bedrooms first as it's all square/rectangular shapes, garage items last as it was the dirty items & odd shapes.
    Wrapped all furniture in saran wrap for gripping & transport. Clean truck and moving blankets.
    Laid down runners in old and new home, and no damage anywhere. 9am to ~4pm.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Mountain movers were really great for us last year.
    These guys 100%!! I have used them twice... The first time back in 2010 they under quoted us, still did a top level job and refused to charge us extra and honoured their quote. The second time we used them was just at the end of November this past year. Again, absolutely fantastic to deal with, their movers were hard workers and super polite and clean. Wrapped up everything in quality quilted moving blankets, pre-documented as the went, and went over and above again. I will use these guys again if the need arises!
    Last edited by tirebob; 04-20-2023 at 04:15 PM.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

We used RC Movers based out of Turner Valley but they do everything from Airdrie south. I think we were $180/hr for 3 guys and they were great. We had a main floor, upper, and basement to move and they came in, disassembled all large furniture and took all of our shit no problem. This included all of my tools and materials out of the garage and my loaded tool box. To this day, movers are the best money I ever spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    V8s

Excellent. Thanks everyone.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

https://simplythebestmovers.ca

We used these guys. They were good, nothing significantly damaged and they worked pretty hard the entire time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast