Quantcast
Tesla Solar Roof. Too soon? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Solar Roof. Too soon?

Default Tesla Solar Roof. Too soon?

Hi All,
    Did anyone see Elon's new Solar Roof and Home Battery set up? It looks pretty sick, and if it does all he claims it will, at the price he said, it seems like a great "investment".

If all goes to plan it will be available next year (assuming he gets the $2.6B investment).

...Is it too soon to jump on the wagon?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Will the glass stand up to hail?

What about when it snows? no power?

Residential solar is really horrible. Very inefficient and not cost effective at all. It's not even a question of technology either but fundamentally the same damn reason people don't burn gas in their own houses to generate power nowadays.

Residential solar won't have tilt and yaw sun tracking, it won't have snow clearing of panels, it won't have automated cleaning of panels, and it won't be updated as new technology become available. Seems like a pretty ass backwards solution to me... I guess you can "legislate" it into place with subsidies but fundamentally it's stupid.

We would all be better served by building nuclear plants in Alberta instead of chasing stupid power generation ideas. Then again with our current government and the non rational public I am sure we will see some stupid legislation trying to shoehorn this shit show into making sense.

My Ride
    is broken

Seems to hold up ok. Youtube

Elon's tweet on snow:"Solar glass tiles can also incorporate heating elements, like rear defroster on a car, to clear roof of snow and keep generating energy"

Sounds like a great idea to me. But keep in mind its not in Musk's plan to be self sufficient. He sees this more a supplemental. If everyone drove electric cars we will need to double our electric infrastructure. This is one way to help offset those costs.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

Originally posted by jacky4566
    Elon's tweet on snow:"Solar glass tiles can also incorporate heating elements, like rear defroster on a car, to clear roof of snow and keep generating energy"
    Yeah I didn't even talk about that because it's so stupid. The amount of power you would need to clear off your roof after a snow fall like we experience here? Yeah good luck. Look into the heat capacity of 1 foot of snow for fun.

There's a reason why actual solar plants use wipers or tilt to clear panels of snow. Then again you know Elon has spoken and he is the tech messiah right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ thats ok, a Chinook will melt/freeze/melt/freeze these things for you here ......

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by jacky4566
    Seems to hold up ok. Youtube

Sounds like a great idea to me. But keep in mind its not in Musk's plan to be self sufficient. He sees this more a supplemental. If everyone drove electric cars we will need to double our electric infrastructure. This is one way to help offset those costs.
    What is the projected payback time for this installation, in an place like AB?

Obviously it would be done either during a re-roof or new install, thus, those costs would need to be subtracted from the new cost.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

When we build in the next 1.5-2 year we will get this if it's out ( granted we will be in Kamloops, sun is way better out there )
    I slowly want to get away from oil and I now have the ability to do that! Might as well go with it!
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

It will certainly depend on the efficiency of the solar panels. I am sure that these panels will be more efficient at collecting the solar rays, and on top of that, the whole roof is a solar panel versus what Enmax is currently offering where it is just panels, that cover roughly half of the roof.

Also, as Musk is envisioning it that the costs are comparable to redoing your roof anyways, I think it would be a totally viable option here in Calgary. It will never eliminate your power bill i imagine, but, would probably do a lot better than the solution Enmax offers.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Musk is a dreamer. I have a feeling a lot of people will die following his visions of the future.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
    Musk is a dreamer. I have a feeling a lot of people will die following his visions of the future.
    Kind of like Paypal, Tesla and SpaceX ?

The only way to advance is to fail, he has failed a lot to gain a lot.
    Professionally Retired

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Yeah I didn't even talk about that because it's so stupid. The amount of power you would need to clear off your roof after a snow fall like we experience here? Yeah good luck. Look into the heat capacity of 1 foot of snow for fun.

There's a reason why actual solar plants use wipers or tilt to clear panels of snow. Then again you know Elon has spoken and he is the tech messiah right?
    "stupid"

Musk was called 'stupid' for electric sports cars (Tesla) and Space X. Look how much he has accomplished in such a short period of time. This is innovation.

If you live in an area where snow is a major factor, than maybe solar roof isnt for you. However, most of world can benefit from this once we can confirm the efficiency of these panels.

I wont call you stupid. You haven't made billions and revolutionized electric cars yet.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, the price of "old fashioned" electricity is going nowhere but up, so generating your own is going too make more and more sense. And Southern Alberta is one of the sunniest places on the continent.

I withhold my judgement on this specific system until it exists for purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

What happens when the next version of these comes out and your 20k solar shingles are old tech?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I don't actually think snow would be a major factor. At least, not on a pitched roof. It isn't about having to melt every bit - it's about melting the bottom so it all just slides off and doesn't have the opportunity to build up.

I think the key to this entire concept really only lies in making it affordable. Things like snow, durability, or even efficiency can be addressed - but if people can't afford it, then it will fail. Simple as that. If it is true that it would be about the same price as replacing your roof, then it becomes a viable option for those in need of a new roof anyway, or new builds. Ultimately, that is a TON of potential customers.

Originally posted by mix123
    What happens when the next version of these comes out and your 20k solar shingles are old tech?
    Technology improves. It is a fact of life. Why did I buy that old 386 computer back in the 90's for $3000, when it is worthless now? Regardless, old tech might not have the same efficiency, but if it was good enough to install in the first place and is still working, then I wouldn't imagine it would be relegated to uselessness. If someone did in fact replace their roof with this product, then they really aren't out anything if it cost the same as board and shingles. (Though I find that hard to believe)
    Last edited by Kloubek; 11-01-2016 at 08:46 AM.

I'm assuming these will be pretty similar to metal roofs. Better than shingles. Twice the price. Noisy. Snow will slide off so you'll have to do something about that just like on metal roofs.

I agree with your statement about tech improving it's a fact of life. But right now we're just at the beginning of solar tech development. Yearly things are going to get substantially better. Not just slightly. I think it's too soon to invest in something like this.

But good on the early adopters for Beta testing this for Elon.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Hell yea, Elon.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by KPHMPH
    ( granted we will be in Kamloops, sun is way better out there )

Wut? By way better do you mean over 300 less annual hours of sun than Calgary?

Originally posted by ercchry
    Wut? By way better do you mean over 300 less annual hours of sun than Calgary?
    The angle/height of the sun is actually more important than the hours of sunlight.

The further north you are the less effective solar power is.

At the end of the day the technology is cool, but its still pretty pointless if it costs more than the power you are generating.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast