Quantcast
Diverging Diamond Interchanges (DDI) - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Diverging Diamond Interchanges (DDI)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoker77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While its an improvement over conventional diamond interchanges its still far inferior to traffic circles and clover leafs which require no traffic lights and have even less conflict points. I think these are going to be a issue because its just not common place enough and after one winter all the lane markings are going to be scraped/corroded away and people are not accustomed to having traffic on their right...

I am curious though why you never see DDI with the lanes woven to eliminate the traffic lights altogether which brings the conflict points down to match that of a cloverleaf. There is no need other than costs that I can see.

After driving in Europe I'm convinced that traffic circles are superior(and RHD). Another benifit to traffic circles is they can be adapted to interchange any number of lanes where as with most other interchanges your stuck with your 4lanes.

They even did a mythbusters episode comparing a traffic circle to a 4way stop and concluded that the traffic circle was a much better way, granting people know how to use it properly(which everyone should since its in the learners handbook)

Play some City Skylines and you'll quickly realize what intersections work and which don't and a traffic circle always ends up being the answer. Simplicity is key
    Aren't all mainland European countries LHD?

As for the learner's handbook, really? Shit, then what of all the people out there not signalling lane changes or turns or the myriad of other things they do that they're not supposed to as per the learner's handbook.
    Last edited by speedog; 08-15-2017 at 06:57 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    that was done intentionally to prevent people from backing up significant traffic trying to cross several lanes of traffic.
    i.e. Bow Trail West to Crowchild South to Memorial West? Worst. Idea. Ever.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    All the driver needs to do is follow the lines on the road and the overhead lights.
    That's assuming you can see the lines and arrows on the road, which you know, doesn't happen in Calgary for 8 months of the year. Either it's covered in snow and ice, or it's faded so badly you can't see them until they're painted again in October. I just want to know how I'm supposed to go up the off-ramp and then down the on-ramp so I can skip a bunch of backed up traffic?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoker77 View Post
    While its an improvement over conventional diamond interchanges its still far inferior to traffic circles and clover leafs which require no traffic lights and have even less conflict points. I think these are going to be a issue because its just not common place enough and after one winter all the lane markings are going to be scraped/corroded away and people are not accustomed to having traffic on their right...

I am curious though why you never see DDI with the lanes woven to eliminate the traffic lights altogether which brings the conflict points down to match that of a cloverleaf. There is no need other than costs that I can see.
    you said it, cost... look up a few posts, i posted an image of a properly done DDI, requires 4-5 more bridges, its going to be a significant price difference.

After driving in Europe I'm convinced that traffic circles are superior(and RHD). Another benifit to traffic circles is they can be adapted to interchange any number of lanes where as with most other interchanges your stuck with your 4lanes.

They even did a mythbusters episode comparing a traffic circle to a 4way stop and concluded that the traffic circle was a much better way, granting people know how to use it properly(which everyone should since its in the learners handbook)
    tell that to the city, i don't think i have seen a single 2 lane traffic circle in this city that follows the standard traffic circle rules, and some they like to change every 6 months just to fuck with people.

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    There is some poor design flaws, you will not be able to turn south on to shawville if you are heading south on Macleod. They aren't allowing access to the turn lane.
    there are 3 different ways to access southbound shawville from south mcleod, take the first exit by superstore/hudsons, take the 3rd dedicated shopping center entrance at the south end, or go off on 162 and turn left at the next intersection and go in behind by the train tracks... its really not that difficult to find an alternate route.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    There is some poor design flaws, you will not be able to turn south on to shawville if you are heading south on Macleod. They aren't allowing access to the turn lane.

Right now they need to fix the protruding manholes as they have been blowing tires. I think specifically on the ramp going on to north bound Macleod.
    Coming South on Macleod you'll need to either exit at Shawnessy Blvd, Superstore (if that's still going to be open), or loop around the South end of all the shopping and come back in Northbound on Shawville. This has the potential of turning the North & South ends of Shawville Blvd (Superstore lights and Home Depot lights) into a complete shit-show.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I can't wait until the first blizzard this winter when the signs are frosted and the road is covered

Still think its a good idea just an admission that Calgarians are retarded.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Coming South on Macleod you'll need to either exit at Shawnessy Blvd, Superstore (if that's still going to be open), or loop around the South end of all the shopping and come back in Northbound on Shawville. This has the potential of turning the North & South ends of Shawville Blvd (Superstore lights and Home Depot lights) into a complete shit-show.
    As opposed to 162nd and Shawville being a total shit show the way it was before?

Everyone trying to get from Macleod South to Shawville blvd south is why they needed to get rid of this. Wouldn't have worked with faster flowing traffic from the overpass.

As for the snow, we'll get used to it. Glad I don't live there anymore though. That will be a gong show for the first few snowfalls. That combined with the 22X construction? Oh man. Avoid like the plague.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 08-15-2017 at 10:06 AM.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

This DDI looks amazing! I'm really hoping that AB Trans puts one of these at 67th Street/QEII Red Deer when the time comes.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    i.e. Bow Trail West to Crowchild South to Memorial West? Worst. Idea. Ever.
    You mean crowchild north, but yes, worst ever. That whole setup is a clusterfuck.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    You mean crowchild north, but yes, worst ever. That whole setup is a clusterfuck.
    yes but it was designed in what? the 60's? when rush hour was 30 mins long and consisted of 200 cars? It was never designed to handle the flow it does today, but the city should have revamped that a LONG time ago.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I can't wait until the first blizzard this winter when the signs are frosted and the road is covered

Still think its a good idea just an admission that Calgarians are retarded.
    that's what i'm wondering - there is no way this is going to work in the middle of winter
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Went through this diverging diamond interchange twice yesterday afternoon and it functioned quite well IMO..

No drivers seemed to be at all confused by the configuration and it all is laid out in a quite straight forward and logical fashion - not even snow covering lane markings should make this difficult.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    not even snow covering lane markings should make this difficult.
    Snow covered lines shouldn't make parking lots difficult either... but every fucking year. The problem is that you are a rational, experienced driver. A lot of people aren't, and it only takes one to ruin a drive home for everybody.

Rational?

The ruse continues.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Rage2

i thought nobody posted here because it imploded... at least thats how people made it sounds the day it opened..

^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Went through this diverging diamond interchange twice yesterday afternoon and it functioned quite well IMO..

No drivers seemed to be at all confused by the configuration and it all is laid out in a quite straight forward and logical fashion - not even snow covering lane markings should make this difficult.
    Maybe depends on your direction of travel, but every one of my trips through it have been a clown show. From experience, I now drive through it with my left hand on the horn pad.
    When head west across the overpass, how many f'ing "no left hand turn signs" are up on the straight through lanes, 4,5, or is it 6? Without fail, there is always a couple of nimrods trying to turn left on shawville from the straight through lanes. On Saturday some woman tried it to beat the bus and she ended up on the corner island.. They don't seem to think just go down to the next light and go left there.
    Also it's been backed up heading east bound a few times as well.
    Too loud for Aspen

Went through it again today both directions, no issues at all. Now my sampling size is small and on mid-late weekend afternoons so who knows but if Smith is in the lead than what I've experienced could be the real deal as well.
    Will fuck off, again.

There seems to be some emerging issues as time moves forward.

It can be confusing for those expecting a European roundabout instead of a DDI when incoming on a not divided road. People will tend to accidentally enter the incoming right turn lane while attempting to turn left. In a normal traffic congested scenario, this never is a problem because there is always enough incoming head on traffic for you to know you know not to cross the double solid, but because of covid and sometimes completely empty intersections, people get confused.

The solution is to make sure the road is divided long before the intersection.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-12-2021 at 07:55 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Went and visited @Andy643 and enjoyed the DDI as I always do. Good interchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Rage2

i thought the whole interchange was supposed to implode within weeks...

^^ Fact Checked

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast