Quantcast
TRUMAN HOMES leaves home owner on their own... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: TRUMAN HOMES leaves home owner on their own...

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Default TRUMAN HOMES leaves home owner on their own...

This is what happened to my sink after I filled it about 3 quarters of the way with water in the 51 Oak building built by Truman Homes. This was a new condo that is only 15 months old and Truman Homes refused to provide any assistance or coverage claiming that its past the 1 year warranty and that they are not liable for the obviously faulty installation of the sink. This unit was built with cork flooring which has now been destroyed and the water has leaked into the unit below me as well.

When asked how they could ignore this poor quality build, the Truman Homes service manager I spoke with told me "well how do I know you didn't stand in it?" while refusing to send anyone to inspect the sink or any of the associated damage. They also refused to acknowledge the sink as part of the plumbing distribution system and thus claim it would not be covered under the Alberta New Home Warranty Program which extends such coverage for 2 years.

Truman Homes prides themselves on a reputation of customer satisfaction, however it seems that commitment to customer satisfaction has an expiration date just twelve months after you hand them hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think it a bit dubious at best to claim that you as company pride yourself on your work yet you won't stand by it any longer than Best Buy stands behind an iPod.

On top of this, I would just like to warn any perspective Truman Homes customers that in the short 15 months I have lived in my brand new Truman Home, they had to return multiple times to fix the poor finishing and trims and that their units offer very poor sound insulation as I have a well mannered family of three living above me yet I can hear every single footstep they take and my fixtures have to be tightened and monitored due to the shaking from the simple footsteps above.

I would never recommend Truman Homes to anyone and I am appalled at lack of assistance provided to a customer just 15 months after the possession date in a time when current and perspective home owners are feeling the pinch of a down economy and have so many options when it comes to selecting a builder to partner with on their 25 year investment.

Jesus that looks bad! Hoping you at least had insurance to get it sorted in the meantime.
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

The sink couldn't support the weight of water and fell off? That doesn't sound right. For sure someone might have stood on it but why would anyone stand on a sink filled with water, to test the rubber boots perhaps?

Another reason to use your dishwasher folks

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Time to call CBC or Global for a story.

also: since you're having shit luck and probably need a laugh, refer to Post your latest purchase thread last 20ish posts where people don't actually post purchases and just debate about filling the sink to do dishes vs dishwasher

hopefully you get this sorted out soon OP

"well how do I know you didn't stand in it?"

brb gonna go stand in my sink and test it out
    Last edited by J.M.; 11-15-2016 at 05:02 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

TBH they get crazy requests like this for warranty. People have sex in the bathroom and things get destroyed.

Wow that's crazy. I'm dealing with my builder (Baywest Homes) right now regarding a leak. I noticed a wet spot on my garage ceiling and called them asking if there would be water lines running in the garage ceiling so I had an idea on how to attack the issue (and just wanted to let them know).

The warranty supervisor has already visited twice and they should have the issue fixed soon. It will be 3 years December in this home so warranty has been done for almost 2 years.

Hopefully some media attention can help you out on this. GL

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Thanks guys. No, I promise no one stood in the sink lol.

I have no kids, no pets and my gf is in BC for work. There was no funny business, just lots and lots of water.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Why is there so much water? No place to turn the water off??

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally posted by danno
    Why is there so much water? No place to turn the water off??
    Dishwasher was on too and I believe the piping that broke under the sink was also connected to that but I haven't been able to get under there and check. I turned the water off right when I realized the dishwasher was on (the tap wasn't running when this happened) which was right after this video. Kinda black out for a second when you see this happening.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 11-16-2016 at 05:42 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Wouldn't this more be insurance taking care of it, and them going after Truman?

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Wouldn't this more be insurance taking care of it, and them going after Truman?
    I'm getting a run around from pretty much everyone at this point.

Truman and Alberta Home Warranty Program are saying I'm not covered, my insurance is telling me that this is a condo manager issue and the condo manager isn't answering my calls and is telling me to email their general line.

Most worryingly is the fact that if it's my condo management company that is responsible than I'm probably going to be on the hook for an absolutely massive deductible on their overall insurance policy for the building.

Thanks Truman.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

ummm, you are past the warranty point now with the builder, so they are right in saying it isn't their responsibility, and it worked fine up until this point...

If the Alberta new home warranty program still is active for your place, I would be talking to them, and my insurance agent. I don't know why you are getting in a huff with Truman...

But they are right, it is out of warranty, and they don't know how you have been treating your place in the past 13 months....

am i missing something here?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

http://www.homewarranty.alberta.ca/

It's been 15 months, so under 2 years. Doesn't this fall under plumbing systems? Which would still have to be covered?

My Ride
    bus

Originally posted by spikerS
    ummm, you are past the warranty point now with the builder, so they are right in saying it isn't their responsibility, and it worked fine up until this point...

If the Alberta new home warranty program still is active for your place, I would be talking to them, and my insurance agent. I don't know why you are getting in a huff with Truman...

But they are right, it is out of warranty, and they don't know how you have been treating your place in the past 13 months....

am i missing something here?
    I totally agree with this. OP, it sucks but just go through home insurance, get it fixed and be done with it. I wish that builders would up their warranties from the standard one year.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Valuable lesson to check your home insurance policy or speak to a good broker (touchstone). The liability for the water damage to the unit below should (ideally) be responded to by the condo board and the building policy with a "charge back" to the OP for the building deductible. You should check your docs and see if you have a sufficient sublimit for a charge back - I've seen as low as $500 and up to $100k.

Good luck.

Undermount sinks of any type, you would be surprised how little is actually holding them in place. I would suggest anyone that has an undermount sink get underneath it and see what is actually securing it to the countertop. I've seen builds where only silicon is holding the sink in place and others where it's a couple of additional wires.
    Will fuck off, again.

^^That's all they're ever held up with...silicone.

On the other hand however, look at my latest purchase!!

My Ride
    Silverado

Condo insurance should help you out. You'll only be liable up to the amount of the deductible. More info should be in your condo docs.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ Silicone - that's all that holds aquariums together as well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast