Quantcast
TRUMAN HOMES leaves home owner on their own... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TRUMAN HOMES leaves home owner on their own...

This won't help you now, but I never liked the idea of how it's just silicone holding these sinks up so I put supports under mine. You can also look into cinclips available on amazon.ca

My Ride
    V167

Well, just saw your story on CTV news.

Bullshit install.

Originally posted by botox
    This won't help you now, but I never liked the idea of how it's just silicone holding these sinks up so I put supports under mine. You can also look into cinclips available on amazon.ca
    Is it silicone or epoxy?

Originally posted by roopi

Is it silicone or epoxy?
    99% of the time it's silicone. There's nothing wrong with silicone. It's got an extremely strong hold. But if either of the surfaces are wet then it won't stick at all. That's probably what happen here.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    Well, just saw your story on CTV news.

Bullshit install.
    Yeah agreed, hopefully we can put enough pressure on them to react.

Had to focus on where this was getting the most traction so I haven't been checking this thread much.

Here's the link to the story: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/first-time...rage-1.3166865

Please share and warn your friends and family about Truman Homes and their refusal to own up to their shoddy work!

Also here is the link the thread on /r/Calgary:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...o_see_me_talk/

My Ride
    Is fun!

Maybe check your sink online for installation instructions, might help swing things in your favour.

Had a under-mount sink installed by the same guy that did the countertop. The installation instructions stated that clips were required. He didn't use any and it's just done with silicone/epoxy (not sure which). It's a very large sink, and as yet has never been filled with water. I wonder what would happen if it was....

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    ^^That's all they're ever held up with...silicone.
    Uh, wut? There are definitely clips that can be utilized. Whether it is done or not make no difference as it should be.

https://www.amazon.com/e-clips-E-10-.../dp/B009D4Z2ZC

I know you are a contractor Dave, but that is completely bogus to not have the sink secured.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally posted by Wrinkly
    [B]Maybe check your sink online for installation instructions, might help swing things in your favour.
    That's a really good idea!

How would I go about finding this information? I didn't see any markings on it when I looked but I should try again.

My kitchen sink has clips that are mounted to the vertical supports. That seems like a better fail-safe than clips that are epoxied to the same surface as the sink itself.

Not that it matters, the silicone that sinks are attached with are SUUUUPER strong:

---

So you can stand in a sink? Someone needs to punch that guy in the face. I've never been annoyed so quickly by a person (I'm referring to the SUUUUPER strong guy.

My Ride
    is broken

Kenny that video is cool and all but he doesn't show the underside of the sink nor the installation of said silicone for all we know its a fake.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

Well you are on page one (bottom) of a Google search < Truman Homes >, hard for this "family run" company to ignore a half-assed installation of something so easy as a kitchen sink. I'm sure all the other sinks and stuff behind the walls unseen are in tip-top shape. Makes me wonder a tiny bit.

Have your neighbours checked their sinks for a proper building code install? Make for a good topic during the next board meeting. The insurance company for the entire building might be interested in the topic as well, after all an inspection of every sink in the building would be a wise move.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/first-time...rage-1.3166865
    Last edited by Minimalist; 11-18-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Doh, I have a truman built condo and an under mount sink too. I just checked and it's only siliconed too, no clips. It's been going strong for 4 years, now I don't trust it.

Originally posted by jonsey737
    Doh, I have a truman built condo and an under mount sink too. I just checked and it's only siliconed too, no clips. It's been going strong for 4 years, now I don't trust it.
    Can you half fill it with water and then stand in it? If so then trust it.

From the video segment, it shows the inside of your sink with a sticker that visibly say BLANCO 518170. I would start there for manufacturer's installation instructions.

Saw this on the news too. Definitely getting traction.
    Poor install/surface prep done. Silicone can hold a lot of force.

http://www.cslsilicones.com/en/seala...-adhesive.html

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Uh, wut? There are definitely clips that can be utilized. Whether it is done or not make no difference as it should be.

https://www.amazon.com/e-clips-E-10-.../dp/B009D4Z2ZC

I know you are a contractor Dave, but that is completely bogus to not have the sink secured.
    I didn't say they didn't make clips for them. I just said that's not the way they are installed. There are different methods of installation.

10,000 homes are built every year in Calgary. Probably half have undermount sinks. I've worked with every granite/slab installer in Calgary. I've never seen them install undermounts any other way than just regular silicone.

Even the sink manufacturers don't give a specified method. They leave that up to the expertise of the granite companies. And almost all granite companies use silicone. There's nothing wrong with this method. In the OP's case, the failure wasn't as a result of Silicone. It was a result of not using the silicone properly. (wet surface, not enough silicone, etc)

Note the highlighted part. This is the instruction sheet for my Blanco SilGranite sink that I'm putting in this weekend.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Yeah when used correctly, silicone can hold a crazy amount of weight. If not used correctly... well, you've already seen the video.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I'm not a contractor or even that handy so I'd defer to someone like Dave's recommendations on the usual practices. From just a curious consumers standpoint, I looked on the manufacturers website to see what they suggest, and it says the sink came with undermount clips included and recommends you use them (3 per long side, 2 per short side), or if unable to use them the installer is to build a brace to support the sink.

http://www.blanco-germany.com/en_us/...No=518170#pros

Here are the .pdf instructions with details on the clips and brace.

http://www.blanco-germany.com/media/...tructions_.pdf

As far as the Truman rep suggesting you stood in it, I was curious to see just how much weight the sink would have to hold full of water and got just over 150lbs(1) when full to the brim of just water, and I'm assuming they engineered in some tolerance for adding heavier-than-water objects such as dishes. An average size human standing in a properly installed sink should technically not be enough to make it fail anyways IMO.

(1) Sink internal dimensions 14.5"W * 16.5"L * 9"D = 2088 cu.in = 9.04us.gal = 75.44lbs * 2 sinks = 150.88lbs water only.
    Last edited by carson blocks; 11-19-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Originally posted by carson blocks
    From just a curious consumers standpoint, I looked on the manufacturers website to see what they suggest, and it says the sink came with undermount clips included and recommends you use them (3 per long side, 2 per short side), or if unable to use them the installer is to build a brace to support the sink.

http://www.blanco-germany.com/en_us/...No=518170#pros

Here are the .pdf instructions with details on the clips and brace.

http://www.blanco-germany.com/media/...tructions_.pdf
    Where does it say the sink "comes with the clips"? My sink didn't come with clips. The enclosed installation instructions say clips are available, but they defer to the installation company as to installation procedures.

*edit*...I do see that now. Mine didn't come with clips. My question would be, if using clips...what exactly would you screw them into, with a countertop being made out of stone. There's no wood to screw the clips into.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 11-19-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast