Quantcast
tell me about this G box android thing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: tell me about this G box android thing

My Ride
    changes every year

Default tell me about this G box android thing

is it worth getting? how many of you guys use it and still have TV? where in Calgary can I get one if these things?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/392667/be...-xbmc-devices/

Memory Express sells Android boxes. Pick one up and install the software yourself.

My Ride
    2005 F350

https://www.amazon.ca/Hoxana-Android...5&keywords=M9X

This is the one I have. works great.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It is absolutely worth it. One of the best electronics purchases I've ever made.

Opens up nearly all movies and tv shows for your viewing. There are even a lot of examples of movies still in theaters which are available - though the quality is often suspect.

In regards to quality, that is the one thing that is hit and miss. I've managed to catch every single Canucks game so far this season, but sometimes the feed is pretty slow frame rate and pixelated. Remember that the quality is all up the source that the feed was drawn from. In many cases, such as TV shows and movies that have been on DVD for a bit, the quality is very, very good. (Perhaps not often the best your TV can display, however.)

Also keep in mind that you are streaming data. So if you use it a lot, you better have no limit to your home data. Or, at least, a high limit. Streaming is compressed so it's not that bad, but it all depends on the quality level and how much you use it.

Personally, I'm glad I still have regular cable due to it's high quality, and live programming like the news. If these are not important to you, then I'm sure one could absolutely cancel cable.

One final thing: These boxes work via wifi or direct Ethernet connection. If using the former, it is imperative you have a strong connection with good transfer speeds, or you'll get pauses while it buffers, or even get kicked out of a feed if it stalls.

My Ride
    This and that.

Is this one of those things that shows all the live channels as well as downloaded/saved movies in various languages etc?

I've seen those dodgy looking small boxes at some houses but they have a monthly subscription even though it's as low as $10-$15 a month. Someone I know have gotten rid of their Telus connection because they are able to watch all the live channels as well as have access to new movies that get released etc. Quality is not always the best though especially if the movie is new.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I've managed to catch every single Canucks game so far this season, but sometimes the feed is pretty slow frame rate and pixelated.
    Pretty sure the feed is fine. That's just how fast they skate.

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Is this one of those things that shows all the live channels as well as downloaded/saved movies in various languages etc?

I've seen those dodgy looking small boxes at some houses but they have a monthly subscription even though it's as low as $10-$15 a month. Someone I know have gotten rid of their Telus connection because they are able to watch all the live channels as well as have access to new movies that get released etc. Quality is not always the best though especially if the movie is new.
    Yes it is. Normally for the live TV you pay a monthly subscription fee. Just for the free movies over Shaw/Telus on demand the box is quickly paid for.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Im using the raspberry pi3 boxes and i just love them. Got kodi set up, got the repos installed. Also does a great job of organizing my off web stuff on my NAS. Very happy.

Hard to beat the 70$ price tag too!

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by roopi

Yes it is. Normally for the live TV you pay a monthly subscription fee. Just for the free movies over Shaw/Telus on demand the box is quickly paid for.
    So I just need to buy the box say from the amazon link above and connect to my TV and that's it?

How do I get the live TV going?

Or the movies/TV shows come pre-installed in it and keep getting updated on their own?

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Get the Beelink GT1 off amazon.
    Android 6.0 with some of the newest hardware.

https://www.amazon.ca/GearBest-Beeli...ds=beelink+gt1

install Kodi with Pulse or the beast and you'll be streaming in no time

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by roopi
    You ass, you almost made me spit my lunch up

Back on topic, I'm in the same boat. Been considering getting this:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01I6R9KX6/...70XJ49I7&psc=1

But now I'm leaning towards getting a Raspberry Pi 3 and setting that up instead.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Im using the raspberry pi3 boxes and i just love them. Got kodi set up, got the repos installed. Also does a great job of organizing my off web stuff on my NAS. Very happy.

Hard to beat the 70$ price tag too!
    This, since the PI3 had the addition of onboard wifi, the possibilities are endless, Kodi + Repos, RetroPie, you can even load a more friendly OS like Ubuntu MATE if you want a smoother experience than Raspbian.

Plus you can fit the remote, power cable, Pi3 and HDMI all into a small bag for travel.

I got my dad an android box from memory express though because he need simplicity for navigating apps.

My Ride
    changes every year

you guys are talking gibberish to me. I don't keep up with tech at all. all this talk about raspberry pi kodi retro pie means nothing to me.

explain what all of this means please.

My Ride

Originally posted by n1zm0

This, since the PI3 had the addition of onboard wifi, the possibilities are endless, Kodi + Repos, RetroPie, you can even load a more friendly OS like Ubuntu MATE if you want a smoother experience than Raspbian.

Plus you can fit the remote, power cable, Pi3 and HDMI all into a small bag for travel.

I got my dad an android box from memory express though because he need simplicity for navigating apps.
    Yeah I just leave my box on and in kodi. That's it's sole use. It's so frigging awesome. I used to have wdtv boxes but they are so dang limited. Online repository rocks. I have Phoenix.. One chan... Exodus. Pretty much what I need for now.

My Ride

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    you guys are talking gibberish to me. I don't keep up with tech at all. all this talk about raspberry pi kodi retro pie means nothing to me.

So, the box is raspberry pi3. They sell them at memory express, you can get one with keyboard, and all hookups for like 120$

Raspian is the operating system (similar to windows). When you get the box you simply plug in hdmi, keyboard/mouse dongle, and power, and turn it on. After that you can use its wifi to get onto the internet (after you have it install raspian, its all graphical, easy stuff)

After you have installed and booted, you use a program in raspian to add KODI. Kodi is your media interface program. Like microsoft media centre. There are guides to add the repositories (essentially addons that allow streaming of remote content) Once you are set up with these, you can find your favorite tv shows, movies, etc on the repos and watch them with a click of a button. You can also plug in a thumb drive with movies, etc, and play them from that. The possiblities are endless.

Basically, a little box that fits in the palm of your hand, is powerful enough to stream 1080p video to your pc (=

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX62267
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 11-18-2016 at 03:29 PM.

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

I am in the same boat with this piece of technology. I wanna get one of them as I have an idea about what they do but I don't got a fuckin clue as to where to begin.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Nice comments against my team. Asses.

(Though not entirely incorrect).

As for those interested, but thinking the tech is too complicated, it generally isn't. My box (Brand: "Rupi") Came with Kodi installed, and the most popular add-ons (that's what Kodi apps are called. Kodi is the program (?) you use to access the add-ons/apps) which allowed me to access movies and shows right away. I had to do some digging to get good sports add-ons, but they are out there.

Besides this, there are some pretty comprehensive walk-throughs around the internet. If you are able to figure out your phone, you are likely able to figure out the box.

Oh, and one thing I will add: You really need a keyboard and mouse. Since these boxes almost always have USB hookups, one from a recent generation computer should work just fine. Otherwise, they sell them with such devices for only a bit more. But trust me - you do NOT want to force yourself to use this product with the remote it comes with.

Also realize that since this is a direct-connection to your TV, you will require one box per TV you want to use it on. It isn't like what Shaw and Telus moved to a few years back with the whole watch-in-one-room-and-move-to-another-seamlessly thing. Now that I've had some experience with the box, I intend to buy one for every TV I have once I move into my new house in March. I even considered wiring every TV area with Ethernet, but that really shouldn't be required with a good router.

Finally, keep in mind that the more widespread these boxes become, the less money the cable companies make. It is only a matter of time before they do their best to block the sale, or more likely the use of these products. It may not be a permanent solution, depending on how effective their efforts are.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 11-18-2016 at 04:07 PM.

If you go with an Android box you can be up and running in 15 minutes. (I imagine with the Raspberry to but I've never done it.)

1. Buy an Android box and a remote/keyboard.
    2. Plug it in connect it to the internet.
    3. Most likely it already has Kodi installed but if not go to the Google Play store and install.
    4. Watch this video and follow instructions: