Quantcast
Link: Unfair Parking Fees On Private Lots Aren't Tickets - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Link: Unfair Parking Fees On Private Lots Aren't Tickets

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by speedog

Exactly what are these shady business practices?
    Well, if the yearly news articles about these tickets aren't enough for you, here's a quick summary.

-Using 'fines' as revenue rather than an incentive to pay properly. Not having a real process to appeal and dispute these 'fines'

-Lying about what these 'fines' are, calling them a ticket when all it is is an invoice

-Using their billing department as a collections department, and giving them a name like "City Collections" to make it sound official when they have no affiliation with the city at all.

-These collections departments threaten and lie to people, claiming they'll make the ticket damage their credit if they don't pay, even though no credit bureau will recognize a private parking ticket unless it's been through the courts and the consumer has been ordered to pay the parking company damages

-Using extortion methods to get people to pay (see boot comment above)

I'm not saying be a deadbeat and use their services for free, personally because of all this I don't use their lots at all. To others, just don't let them take advantage of you. If you get one of these invoices and it was legitimately an error on your part, call them up and offer to pay whatever the original cost of parking would have been, since legally that is all that's owed. But anything like in the article, 'not properly displaying the receipt' screw them, don't pay that garbage.
    Last edited by btimbit; 11-20-2016 at 12:44 PM.

I thought everybody knew all this already. Even when I got my license in 1989 there were articles in the paper.

My Ride
    NC1

learn something new every day. the parking boot! that's awesome lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I literally have probably close to $2000 in "tickets" (invoices) from these private companies and have never in 15 years received any sort of recourse aside from a frightningly worded and official looking letter in the mail.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    I literally have probably close to $2000 in "tickets" (invoices) from these private companies and have never in 15 years received any sort of recourse aside from a frightningly worded and official looking letter in the mail.
    I got a letter from the UofC for a parking ticket once. They threatened to withhold my degree unless any and all parking tickets were paid.

I've never been a student there

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by btimbit

Really? Neat. Sorry, I hate when people say this, but do you have a source for that? Not calling you a liar, just genuinely curious and couldn't find anything. I know you're in law enforcement (unless I'm getting posters confused again) but want something to back it up if I point it out to someone.
    No idea where I'd find the source, but EPS treats booting cars as a criminal matter. I can ask around, if you'd like.

We (obviously) don't use boots where I work haha.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

If those started showing up, I'd just keep a cordless drill in the trunk... a well placed hole into each suction cup would render it useless pretty quick
    I'd just Ace Ventura it home, then deal with it

I bet this idea ends after the first lawsuit when someone smashes into, and kills another person

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by roopi

Or you could pay for the service you are using and leave the drill at home.
    Agreed. Although I agree their tickets aren't enforceable like the city's are, what is the argument for using a parking lot but not paying for it? Entitlement?
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

No idea where I'd find the source, but EPS treats booting cars as a criminal matter. I can ask around, if you'd like.

We (obviously) don't use boots where I work haha.
    If you wouldn't mind that'd be awesome. I'm really curious. Although it really makes sense given that I've never seen one, other than guys putting them on their trailers to prevent them from getting stolen.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

News to me that boots aren't legal here. I've seen booted cars in random condo visitor parking here and there so someone is doing it in Calgary, although it has been a few years since I've seen one.

I don't think I've gotten an impark ticket in forever ever since I stopped being a rebel and just paid for parking haha. My only complaint is that their pay machines are laggy as fuck and just the worst UI experience ever.

Back in the day there were so many ways to not pay and not get tickets. The best was to use a gift card visa that has no money on it and it'll keep working even tho the card declines it. A dead card would give you years of free parking. Now all their machines live authorize the cards before spitting out a parking slip.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

People seem to forget that its private property and that they can still tow and impound vehicles from their lots legally. I'm sure they are keeping track of who is not paying and towing the vehicles from the lots.

So yes, its not likely that they go after you is civil court - but they might just tow your car to make you learn your lesson

Towing someone costs a lot of money and the tow truck companies are slow to respond.

Why don't these lots use the cities enforcement services since they are provided at no charge to private property owners. As long as you have the proper signage you can call CPA and they will come and either ticket/tow at no charge.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

As mentioned above, I know someone in a particular Impark lot who was towed three times for not paying. I guess risk reward

Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Why don't these lots use the cities enforcement services since they are provided at no charge to private property owners. As long as you have the proper signage you can call CPA and they will come and either ticket/tow at no charge.
    I know they used to do this. I had a friend who used to work at Impark and there were times he'd be late meeting up cause he had to wait for city towing to come and haul a car away. Of course that was over a decade ago so I'm not sure if it's still done, though I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Also from the lack of response from my previous question, I'm starting to think anyone who complains about getting tickets doesn't even pay the hourly rate to use their lots, which I don't agree with:

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Serious question: do you guys who don't pay Impark (et al.) tickets use their lots without paying an hourly rate knowing you're just going to toss the tickets anyways? Or do at least pay the hourly rate?

Because they take forever. By the time they arrive the car might be gone.

Also it ain't free, because our office has called them and they were going to charge us for the service.

Originally posted by shadowz
    As mentioned above, I know someone in a particular Impark lot who was towed three times for not paying. I guess risk reward
    There's two types of Impark lots:

1) The owns they own and operate. The typical pay for parking lot.

2) The owns that are owned by someone else, and Impark enforces parking rules in them.

#2 is our situation. Impark just makes sure that the two hour public parking is enforced and that cars in office parking spaces have the proper parking tag. In our case Impark will tow the shit out of anyone because it's part of the contract with the landlord.

Originally posted by suntan
    Because they take forever. By the time they arrive the car might be gone.

Also it ain't free, because our office has called them and they were going to charge us for the service.
    There website says it is a free service to the public:
    https://www.calgaryparking.com/docum...7-0ea693287022

I'm just assuming they would charge companies which makes sense.

My Ride
    NC1

Well if Impark issues a ticket there's a chance you'll pay and they get the money. If they call the City to ticket the money goes to the City. Is that correct? lol
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by max_boost
    Well if Impark issues a ticket there's a chance you'll pay and they get the money. If they call the City to ticket the money goes to the City. Is that correct? lol
    Correct. Impark would rather fine people themselves because then they get the extra revenue. They'd only resort to towing if it's a repeat offender

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast