C-Train Driver Walks off Job - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: C-Train Driver Walks off Job

My Ride
    V167

Default C-Train Driver Walks off Job

Just LOL

http://calgaryherald.com/news/traffi...er-flames-game

Calgary Transit officials are investigating why a CTrain operator inexplicably abandoned his post this week, leaving cars full of passengers stranded after a Flames hockey game.

Passengers say it was after 11:30 pm on Wednesday when a northbound CTrain stopped at Sunnyside Station, located in northwest Calgary. Instead of taking off after a short delay, the train never left the station.

The driver announced over the intercom that he had worked a 12-hour shift and refused to go any further. Bewildered passengers, meanwhile, were left to wonder how and when they’d get home.

Alistair Delday was riding home from the game when the operator announced he was ending his shift.

“It was kind of ridiculous,” Delday said. “It was late at night, and we were all stuck waiting on the track. It was odd to stop halfway through a route and nothing was really explained. There was no communication.”

Calgary Transit said an internal investigation is currently underway to determine whether the employee in question exceeded a 12-hour shift.

Transit representatives explained that in the case of a driver being ill or needing to be relieved, protocol is to send out a replacement operator.

At the time of the incident, Calgary Transit sent a message over social media that the northbound CTrains on the red line were running behind due to a malfunction.

Follow
    Calgary Transit ✔ @calgarytransit
    CTrains on the #RedLine are running 15 minutes behind schedule from Sunnyside to Tuscany due to a CTrain malfunction.
    10:48 PM - 16 Nov 2016
    1 1 Retweet likes
    Delday said disgruntled passengers grew increasingly annoyed by the train operator, who hopped on the intercom two more times, saying “Sorry folks, I want to get home, too.”

Calgary parent Peter Martin said he received a call late Wednesday night from his 22-year-old daughter, who was stranded at Sunnyside station after the driver put the brakes on the trip.

“My daughter called me in the middle of the night panicking, so I got up and flew downtown to get her,” Martin said. “I’m sure it’s an isolated incident, but unfortunately my daughter being there got me hair-raised as a parent.”

Martin said he isn’t blaming the driver for what happened, but is questioning why there was little response from Calgary Transit during the incident.

“My problem is with how Calgary Transit handled the situation,” he added.

“There has to be a plan in place for this type of situation. There needs to be a contingency plan, or at least communicate with passengers and address the problem.”

Train service resumed about 15 minutes after the unexpected stop when a substitute drive arrived at the station. A transit official said Friday morning that management had yet to speak to the absentee CTrain operator.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

"abandoned his post"

lol, not sure why but using that phrase for a transit operator made me chuckle

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Originally posted by btimbit
    "abandoned his post"

lol, not sure why but using that phrase for a transit operator made me chuckle
    DERELICTION OF DUTY

COURT MARTIAL TO FOLLOW AFTER HEARING BEFORE CALGARY TRANSIT GRAND JURY

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

And really? They've "launched an investigation?" Guy didn't like his job so he left, what's to investigate?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Hahaha!! Love it.
    I did that one time. Years ago. Got up, walked off the job. It felt awesome

My Ride
    is broken

"The driver announced over the intercom that he had worked a 12-hour shift and refused to go any further"

Union employees right? (Said the union employee...)

But at 32-45$/hr + overtime, sounds pretty good to me.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    ute

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

Originally posted by jacky4566
    "The driver announced over the intercom that he had worked a 12-hour shift and refused to go any further"

Union employees right? (Said the union employee...)

But at 32-45$/hr + overtime, sounds pretty good to me.
    I guess falling asleep and crashing the train would be better for u having that extra few dollars.....

being in a union don't mean sht, the company forces safety down your throat and when u act on behalf of your own safety the company goes nuts and says ur refusing work I say good for the driver

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I'm more appalled about the parent of the 22 year old ADULT... call a cab, jesus

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by ercchry
    I'm more appalled about the parent of the 22 year old ADULT... call a cab, jesus
    Over a 15 minute delay too. Not like it was hours. Article makes it seem like it was a 13 year old stuck in an alley at 3am. No, it was an adult slightly inconvenienced on a train full of other people. Call daddy oh my god so scary!

Over a 15 minute delay too. Not like it was hours. Article makes it seem like it was a 13 year old stuck in an alley at 3am. No, it was an adult slightly inconvenienced on a train full of other people. Call daddy oh my god so scary!
    Yea I was laughing my ass off at the response "Calgary transitneeds to have a plan in place for when this happens".... they do, and it worked. What other employer would be able to rotate in a replacement in 15 minutes...

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Exactly, what in the actual fuck

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

I suspect we will ultimately find he wasn't working twelve straight hours but was working a split shift.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3074106/ct...al-to-proceed/

“The member had some safety concerns because he had been, ultimately, at work for 12 hours, which is basically the limit of any shift at Calgary Transit.”

Notes: Wacky weed isn't always a good idea before you take a long work shift. Weed is best used before you go to the strip club.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Most of these guys do split shifts. Maybe a 12 hour shift for the day with likely a large 4+ hour break in between. What this driver did in my personal opinion, is wrong. The steps he should of taken are call an on duty supervisor, and ask for relief. And that relief would of likely met him either a few stations down, or at the end of the line.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

According to someone on CP ( note I have no idea who this poster is or how they know) the article missed some facta. Apparently the driver didn't just 'walk off' he just stopped running the train, but waited in the cab until a supervisor showed up. That global article has better terminology, simply says he refused to proceed, rather than walked off

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Shlade
    Most of these guys do split shifts. Maybe a 12 hour shift for the day with likely a large 4+ hour break in between. What this driver did in my personal opinion, is wrong. The steps he should of taken are call an on duty supervisor, and ask for relief. And that relief would of likely met him either a few stations down, or at the end of the line.
    That's not how refusing to perform unsafe work works. When you tell your supervision that you fell the task is not safe to do, you stop. You don't tell them you fell it's unsafe and then keep doing the work.

It's pretty poor reporting to basically say the driver is essentially lazy and didn't want to work when it's clear there is more to the story. Maybe they should include Section 35 of the OH&S act and the wording from Bill C-45 to show there are actual legal obligations when potentially unsafe work is identified.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

According to someone on CP ( note I have no idea who this poster is or how they know) the article missed some facta. Apparently the driver didn't just 'walk off' he just stopped running the train, but waited in the cab until a supervisor showed up. That global article has better terminology, simply says he refused to proceed, rather than walked off
    Yea I got the feeling the news articles were written from the perspective of the crazy parent rushing to pick up their poor wittle 22 year old.

The driver had the sense to move the sunny side station so as not to block both lines. So I don't think this was a malicious walk off like the media is trying to portray

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast