Quantcast
Plumbers PolyB - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plumbers PolyB

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Default Plumbers PolyB

Who's the recommended company to deal with PolyB?

Does anyone know if an expansion tank is necessary if you install a pressure regulating valve?

Yes, I'm sanity checking a plumbing quote.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Trucks

I would absolutely install an expansion tank with PolyB and a pressure reg.

My Ride

I'm actually looking at getting the PolyB removed altogether. The quote is for a whole house replacement, new isolation valves, PRV, expansion tank. 14k.

However, I'm beginning to question if I need to actually remove the PolyB itself.. the current water pressure is 85psi in the house, and there's no leaks...

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Can I ask which plumber you're getting your quote from? I'm in the same dilemma on whether I need to replace my poly B as well. I have a mix of Pex and Poly B.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Dont forget that there are some 3 versions of PolyB fittings with the latest being the most reliable and not nearly as notorious.

Far be it for me to infer how you spend your money....but dropping $14,000 just because MAYBE you might get a polyB failure down the road? There are millions of homes with poly B without issue. My house is entirely Poly B. If I have a failure, and that's a big IF, then I'll go through my home insurance and deal with the problem then.

Isn't that why you get home insurance? In case something freaky happens, like a burst water pipe? Why spend $14,000, when there's a good chance you won't ever have a failure?

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I think we had a thread about poly b a few months ago. I'm leaving mine. I have a few stragegicl placed leak detectors connected to my automation system just in case.

My Ride

Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
    Can I ask which plumber you're getting your quote from? I'm in the same dilemma on whether I need to replace my poly B as well. I have a mix of Pex and Poly B.
    First quote is from Clearvue. It's pretty pricey. I'm getting another quote from Instant Plumbing.

revelations: I've been doing a ton of reading on this issue, and it seems like it's not an "if", but a "when". Also, insurance companies are starting to take notice of this issue. I suspect it's only a matter of time before they start forcing the issue.

C_Dave45, based on my conversations, the house insurance won't cover the polyB damage. Just the remediation of the damaged stuff. What I'm concerned about is a pipe bursting while I'm away and coming back to a basement full of water.

Pretty much everything I've coming across is that I should go forward with the remediation. House was built in 89, and there's already been some evidence of water leaks where they repaired the entire stretch.

But hey, I'm still open to valid arguments here. If you can honestly show me that I'm not going to have issues with it over the next 10-15 years because of XYZ reasons, I'm more than happy to not spend a huge chunk of cash.

My Ride

Originally posted by codetrap

C_Dave45, based on my conversations, the house insurance won't cover the polyB damage. Just the remediation of the damaged stuff.
    Really? Wow. That seems a bit shady. An insurance company not covering a burst water pipe.

If that's truly the case, then I can see why you would want to.

*edit*. After reading that info, I'm going to get a hold of Touchstone and see where I stand with our house.

My Ride
    ute

If you check my reno thread, there was some conversation on this.

I would have been on the fence, if I hadn't planned on tearing out the bathrooms already.

If you have any plans to do a reno, that's when you should replace the PolyB. 14k seems a bit high. Mine was less than that, but I was doing a bunch of other stuff, too. The hard work really is in the cleanup after the polyB. The plumbers can move pretty fast snaking the actual pipe through the house. But replacing the drywall, and the subfloors is the tricky part.

I don't hear about that many catastrophic polyB failures...more along the lines of pin leaks and inconvenient repairs. I didn't want to deal with a death by a thousands cuts situation - especially on a bunch of new renos.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by The_Penguin
    I think we had a thread about poly b a few months ago. .
    Here it is http://forums.beyond.ca/st/339324/pl...ally-that-bad/

My Ride

Buster, I am doing carpets as well. The drywall damage is pretty minimal considering what they have to do, and I'm more than happy to do the drywall work. I think that this quote is pretty high, and I'm going to get 2 more. Instant Plumbing was out today (1 day early lol that was a surprise at the door), and I think Mr Rooter based on the other thread that Penguin quoted.

Dave, I talked to Bill, and the only insurance company he has that is questioning here is Economical. To be clear, the insurance will cover the damages from the water, but not the plumbing itself. So, I'm thinking I'd rather deal with this up front before we move in than have this Damocles Sword issue for a few years until it fails.

Just curious what it would cost to do all copper as opposed to PEX or polyB or any other synthetic.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '93 CYM FD3S

Originally posted by speedog
    Just curious what it would cost to do all copper as opposed to PEX or polyB or any other synthetic.
    The cost would be astronomical, due to the cost of the copper and the labour involved. It is far more work to fit, cut, clean, flux and then solder copper connections vs. cut and crimp PEX. Not to mention trying to solder in tight spaces without burning the house down.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

From the insurance side of things...

Some insurance companies are starting to restrict coverage if you have PolyB or even certain brands of the early PEX due to higher than normal failure rates. However nothing has changed with respect to how a claim is handled if there is a leak. It doesn't matter what type of plumbing you have, the cost to repair the broken plumbing is NEVER covered. All of the resulting damage from the leak IS covered. So you have to pay A) the cost to fix the faulty plumbing and B) your deductible.

From what I've seen so far, companies are only restricting coverage for new clients. If you're already on the books they aren't kicking you off.

I can see codetrap's point here, having a basement full of water is nightmare regardless of insurance coverage (or not).
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by codetrap
    Buster, I am doing carpets as well. The drywall damage is pretty minimal considering what they have to do, and I'm more than happy to do the drywall work. I think that this quote is pretty high, and I'm going to get 2 more. Instant Plumbing was out today (1 day early lol that was a surprise at the door), and I think Mr Rooter based on the other thread that Penguin quoted.

Dave, I talked to Bill, and the only insurance company he has that is questioning here is Economical. To be clear, the insurance will cover the damages from the water, but not the plumbing itself. So, I'm thinking I'd rather deal with this up front before we move in than have this Damocles Sword issue for a few years until it fails.
    If you can do most of the repair, and your carpets are coming out, I would say the swap is a no-brainer. I didn't want that shit in my walls...that kinda stuff drives me nuts.

Last edited by blindsight; 03-08-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Time for a poll.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    From the insurance side of things...

Some insurance companies are starting to restrict coverage if you have PolyB or even certain brands of the early PEX due to higher than normal failure rates. However nothing has changed with respect to how a claim is handled if there is a leak. It doesn't matter what type of plumbing you have, the cost to repair the broken plumbing is NEVER covered. All of the resulting damage from the leak IS covered. So you have to pay A) the cost to fix the faulty plumbing and B) your deductible.

From what I've seen so far, companies are only restricting coverage for new clients. If you're already on the books they aren't kicking you off.

I can see codetrap's point here, having a basement full of water is nightmare regardless of insurance coverage (or not).
    Thanks Bill. Appreciate the clarity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast