Quantcast
Low Hot Water Pressure - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low Hot Water Pressure

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default Low Hot Water Pressure

Recently, been noticing the hot water pressure in the house getting lower and lower. Its still enough to take a shower and use but definately compared to the cold water pressure its way too low.

And this is throughout the entire house which leads me to believe its the hot water tank.

Upon visual inspection, everything looks fine, and working fine. Its a newer updated tank I think in 2005. So I'm guessing the problem is the water outlet is clogged with calcium and whatever else blocking it.

House has PEX pipe so I don't think I need to cut and solder pipes. Do I just un-screw the outlet pipe and clean or any tips? I'm gonna drain the hot water tank first and see if that helps (first time I've done this since moving in)
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Trucks

2005 is ancient.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Default Re: Low Hot Water Pressure

Originally posted by dj_rice
    So I'm guessing the problem is the water outlet is clogged with calcium and whatever else blocking it.
    Reasonable guess. Is PEX going directly in to the water heater, or is there some copper? Ours was poly-b to copper to the fitting on the tank.
    After about 9 years of service, the oultlet connection was 95% clogged with crud.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Low Hot Water Pressure

Originally posted by The_Penguin

Reasonable guess. Is PEX going directly in to the water heater, or is there some copper? Ours was poly-b to copper to the fitting on the tank.
    After about 9 years of service, the oultlet connection was 95% clogged with crud.

I'll double check when I get home, I believe its PEX going to copper, to a fitting on the tank.

If thats the case, just un-loosen fitting, clean and then re-install and we're back in business?
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I would also strongly recommend a whole house sediment filter as well for appliance and piping longevity.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Default Re: Re: Re: Low Hot Water Pressure

I'll double check when I get home, I believe its PEX going to copper, to a fitting on the tank.

If thats the case, just un-loosen fitting, clean and then re-install and we're back in business?
    Theoretically, yes. You may need to cut the copper pipe to remove the fitting depending on the type. Also, a lot of plumbers dismiss this, but some people say that the cause of this is the dissimilar metals (copper pipe, steel fitting) When 2 dissimilar metals are touching in the presence of an electrolyte, you get a small current flow, and transfer of one metal to another (Galvanic Corrosion). The cure is to use a dielectric union.

When I fixed mine, I did this, and checked it a few years later, no sign of trouble. 'course many years later the plumbers that replaced our heaters and installed a softener, scrapped the dielectric unions, and went back to the old way.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Here's the union (about $5-7 if I remember correctly.
    Bonus is that you can disassemble without cutting the pipe.

My Ride

Here's pics of my setup. I think it does have those union connection installed from what ur pictures look like.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

My Ride

Tried to shut off my main water shut off valve yesterday. Its stuck open and won't budge.

Tried shutting off the cold water flow into hot water tank valve as well. That's stuck open and won't budge. I'm hoping some Penetrating fluid will loosen it and its not ball valve inside isn't f'd and stuck.

Both valves are ball seat valves.

Tried showering yesterday and it was a bare drizzle so

If not, plumber we go. But if he can't shut off the water, I assume city will have to come and shut off from the street?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Tried to shut off my main water shut off valve yesterday. Its stuck open and won't budge.

Tried shutting off the cold water flow into hot water tank valve as well. That's stuck open and won't budge. I'm hoping some Penetrating fluid will loosen it and its not ball valve inside isn't f'd and stuck.

Both valves are ball seat valves.

Tried showering yesterday and it was a bare drizzle so

If not, plumber we go. But if he can't shut off the water, I assume city will have to come and shut off from the street?
    You can shut it off at your WV location. Its just a big socket. We had ours shut off this summer temporarily and it was really easy.

My Ride

Originally posted by revelations

You can shut it off at your WV location. Its just a big socket. We had ours shut off this summer temporarily and it was really easy.

Sorry Mar moment here but English please?
    Last edited by dj_rice; 12-10-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Sorry Mar moment here but English please?
    I think he means Water Valve, although I know when the city started forcing water meters on older houses they had huge failure rates so they started putting the meters after the basement water shutoffs. Theoretically you could bypass the meter but I guess it's cheaper than digging up a bunch of old valves

My Ride

Penetrating fluid and some WD40 and got the shut off valves to turn.

Drained the tank. Confirmed cold water feed side was getting water. Tried to remove the brass nut on the hot side but after 10 years of no maintenance from previous owner it wasn't budging. Brute stength got it turning but I ended up cracking the brass union nut on the copper flex pipe.

But the whole dip tube connector was plugged up with rust, debris and sentiment exactly like The Penguins picture. And I believe the dip tube was rusted off as well so will need to get a new dip tube as well as a new copper flex pipe and learn how to solder but once the fix is done, i'll be good for another 10-15 years

Home owner life.

Cycling your valves every 6-12 months is a good idea.

My Ride

Originally posted by jeffh
    Cycling your valves every 6-12 months is a good idea.
    Thanks for tip. Learning so much things I have to do maintenance wise as a homeowner now. I miss my condo life

My Ride

Update.

After removing the hot side connection, I bought a new Sharkbite connection, installed it but looks like it won't create a good seal on the hot side nipple as after 16 years (tank was built in 2000), some of the top thread on the nipple rusted off with the copper connection I removed.

So here I am trying to figure out a fix. I've tried using a pipe wrench but the nipple won't budge. Youtube'd some videos and put a bushing nut over it, drilled a hole through both the nut and nipple and a bolt through both and tried to crank that for more leverage but still no dice.

Tanks still good and was working and don't wanna plop down money to buy a new one just for a damaged nipple.

Any ideas?

Heres the method I'm trying. I'm just using a pipe wrench currently, Canadian Tire didn't have a big enough socket to fit over it. I think its a 38-40mm socket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DADf5XyD_Tc&t=45s
    Last edited by dj_rice; 12-18-2016 at 10:19 AM.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Did you try any penetrating oil? That's hoping the bulk of the rust is at the top.

Do you have a large pipe? Or what really works well for me is the handle off of my floor jack.
    Put it over the end of the wrench, mucho leverage.

My Ride

Finally got it to budge. Installed new nipple and connection and we're all good there

But now I can't get the pilot light to stay lit. Followed instructions and pilot just shuts off. If it's not one thing it's another lol.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

If it's the turn to pilot, push in, click button type, how long are you holding it? sometimes it takes 20 seconds or so to really get the thermocouple working.

My Ride

Originally posted by The_Penguin
    If it's the turn to pilot, push in, click button type, how long are you holding it? sometimes it takes 20 seconds or so to really get the thermocouple working.
    I don't have the electronic ignition. Old fashioned lighter method. But I turn to pilot push in and wait 60 seconds. The pilot button does push back up but pilot just dies.

Ill try holding it longer and see if that heats up the thermocouple. Unless I need a new one but pilot was still working when I shut off the gas. It has been sitting for a week un touched

If I'm understanding it correctly the thermocouple is what activates the gas valve? Cause if I push down and light and pilot lights that means I'm getting gas but releasing the button the thermocouple should kick in and keep gas flowing
    Last edited by dj_rice; 12-18-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast