Quantcast
NDP to Re-Regulate power - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: NDP to Re-Regulate power

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by suntan
    Yeah and when things change?

Are your automations somehow going to change themselves?

You haven't really automated anything at all, you've simply taken an exact manual process and had a computer do it. It's not the same thing.
    Like I said, there are people dealing with exceptions. Automation is simply replacing low to mid skilled manual labour, which is what everyone one with low to mid skillsets are worried about.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

No, automation is supposed to replace *everything*. That's what is being bandied about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/11..._13286168.html

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Co-author Johal said the study’s projections found a broad range in the number of jobs that could be lost — 1.5 million at the lower end, and 7.5 million at the high end. That amounts to between 8.3 per cent and 41 per cent of the 18 million jobs in existence in Canada today.
    Doesn't sound like everything to me. But WTF is up with that range? lol
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Can't automate web cam stripping.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Can't automate web cam stripping.
    http://www.chatterbabes.com/

Lol, I know, I know.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:32 AM.

My Ride
    Z

We all know that bigmass is living in a land of fairy tales and pixie dust. The robots are going to do it all! And they're just around the corner like they were in the 60s. Anyone with a basic grasp of science and technology knows that we're not even close. Literally lifetimes away.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The argument that automation will kill jobs has been around since Henry Ford invented the assembly line. People just adapted, became more skilled, and moved on. The argument is that today, automation is taking away cognitive roles. Good example is self driving cars eventually replacing drivers. In the end, it's no different, people will find new skills, adapt, and move on.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by rage2
    The argument that automation will kill jobs has been around since Henry Ford invented the assembly line. People just adapted, became more skilled, and moved on. The argument is that today, automation is taking away cognitive roles. Good example is self driving cars eventually replacing drivers. In the end, it's no different, people will find new skills, adapt, and move on.
    Actually, recent data has shown a steady decline in overall labour force participation, even with the USA unemployment rate being at something like 2.5%. Even with the labour market being tight, there are still tons of unemployed people who (theoretically) should be working.

There most certainly has been a loss of "total" jobs over the past decade relative to those who can fill them. Many people do not find new skills, adapt, and move on.

Now, is that your problem? Is that my problem? I don't know the answer to that. I lean towards "no". But if there legitimately are not enough jobs to go around on an average basis year over year, decade over decade, that is a different story. I am very "pro-merit", but at some point, if there literally isn't a job to show your merit at (because getting and keeping a job has little to do with merit).

The whole concept of labour is based on supply and demand. If we massively increase supply (robots, AI, whatever), demand for labour will drop. I don't see how this possibly creates new jobs. A job is required to fill a need, if the need is filled by something other than humans, that job is gone.

I just think you are way oversimplifying the issues at hand. You of all people should know that the dataset of ONE company (Ford) or even a couple companies changing an industry does not mean anything in the grand scheme of things. There is just so little data to go on. The automotive revolution was the one and only, and the robot/AI revolution will be the one and only, with the ramifications not able to be seen until far into the future.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Originally posted by rage2

Like I said, there are people dealing with exceptions. Automation is simply replacing low to mid skilled manual labour, which is what everyone one with low to mid skillsets are worried about.
    At least until AI takes over. Then the jobs most at risk will be the so called "high" skilled non-manual labour. Will be interesting to see if your perspective changes if your livelihood is the one no longer worth paying for.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by soloracer

At least until AI takes over. Then the jobs most at risk will be the so called "high" skilled non-manual labour. Will be interesting to see if your perspective changes if your livelihood is the one no longer worth paying for.
    Doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc. Once strong AI is here, I really don't know what to expect.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I have met very few engineers that do anything that isn't following some known standard or formula, and I work in R&D.

Its way harder to automate high dexterity situations that require large amounts of movement than it is to automate data crunching.

It would be extremely difficult for a robot to do some of the work I can. Lots of humans have difficulty at it. The only way it would be possible anytime soon was if facilities were designed around robots. Considering that facilities are only half-assed designed around the ergonomic requirements of humans already, and 75% of buildings/infrastructure is legacy equipment, it ain't happening anytime soon.

Non-repetitive, labour intensive tasks will be difficult to automate, ones that have no protocol or system to dealing with them besides on a case by case basis.

My Ride
    Silverado

#herewegoagain

Can we all just imagine machine designed infrastructure for a moment.

Automated mass transport =

As time goes forward car enthusiasm will morph to track only variants.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    #herewegoagain
    Oh good lord, I'm not talking about that for christ's sake

You don't need to apply it to my position, I'm just using myself as an example.

For instance, can you even visualize a robot working on a modern day car? I can't. One from 10 years ago? No way in hell. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ASSEMBLING A CAR. I am talking about going through the motions of doing a timing belt, or replacing a water pump, or fixing a leaking gasket.

Could a robot help someone? Sure. But the manual dexterity involved is actually fairly staggering in a lot of situations, that not even having AI solves. The human body is an amazing machine, AI doesn't matter in regards to robots until we have created as great of a "swiss army knife" as the human body.

That was the point I was making. There is a difference between a "high skill job" that is repetitive (easy to automate, no matter if the skill is physical or mental). Jobs that constantly shift or require continuous different approaches to one off problems will be the most secure.

Thats it, thats all. Note I tried to be an enginerd and failed

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

AI. LOL.

There is no such thing. We are not even close to such a thing.

Stop thinking Dark Mirror is around the corner.

If they ban the combustion engine like they plan to do in Germany then a lot of "high skilled" automotive jobs will disappear.

There is very little to maintain or fix on an electric motor. In fact, once they get around to it I can imagine there may be 20x less maintenance and specialized parts needed to keep it running. For the price of a camshaft, spark plugs and hoses - you could probably buy an entirely new electric engine.

A combustion engine is a surprisingly complex beast, and seemingly more so - unnecessarily complex if you just want to get from point a to b.

Do you value make work jobs or efficiency more?
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-02-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

AI. LOL.

There is no such thing. We are not even close to such a thing.

Stop thinking Dark Mirror is around the corner.
    How much time have you spent listening to top minds discuss AI? It's closer than you think. The rate of pace at which these companies are growing and the venture capital money being thrown at them is staggering.

I think the saving grace will be adoption. Just because it exists, does not mean it will be implemented as quick as possible.
    Last edited by Canmorite; 12-02-2016 at 08:45 PM.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast