Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Adult rec hockey

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    canada
    My Ride
    g2 teg
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Adult rec hockey

    Anyone have any details on Adult rec hockey leagues / learn to play?

    Have never played organized hockey, but grew up on the outdoor rinks so am a decent enough skater. I have come across a couple of programs that offer 'learn to play' starting around Christmas time.

    Anyone have any recommendations? Or, programs they may have gone through?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Chinatown
    My Ride
    2016 Golf TSi
    Posts
    9,887
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Since you already know how to play you can probably save your money by skipping those *learn to play programs*. https://www.discoverhockey.com/program/

    A bunch of us on here went through the NCHL beginners program, met other noobs, organized some shinny, met more people, created a team and then branched off etc.

    You have any friends who are currently playing on teams? It's not hard to find a team but finding the right fit is more important. Lots of shinny groups and teams always looking for more players.

    Winter league fees are generally around $700-750 (30 games) and summer fees $350-375 (15 games). Jerseys and socks are extra of course. (This is for NCHL)

    Off the top of my head these are the beer leagues in Calgary.

    CAHL
    WRAHL
    Heritage League
    NCHL
    HNA
    ASHL

    You can join this group on FB. There are always groups posting up shinny games etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalgaryAdultHockey/

    Good luck and have fun man. As TeamMcLaren said, if *Sorath* can play hockey, anyone can. lol

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    FA20
    Posts
    261
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by max_boost
    As TeamMcLaren said, if *Sorath* can play hockey, anyone can. lol


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    2,722
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Winsport has run a learn to play course.

    I've never taken one but what are you expecting to get out of it?
    You're a decent skater so do you want to improve on that?
    Learn how to properly stick handle and shoot?
    Learn strategy?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    canada
    My Ride
    g2 teg
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by mr2mike
    Winsport has run a learn to play course.

    I've never taken one but what are you expecting to get out of it?
    You're a decent skater so do you want to improve on that?
    Learn how to properly stick handle and shoot?
    Learn strategy?
    Great info y'all!

    I think its likely a confidence thing, getting used to equipment, learning the rules etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    2,722
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I'd almost just join a team and play then.
    YouTube has good links for strategies or ways to improve your skills but really it's all practice.

    Also get out and play and don't be afraid to ask the better players what you're doing wrong or ways to improve. They can usually give a good tip or two.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Chinatown
    My Ride
    2016 Golf TSi
    Posts
    9,887
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Just keep in mind it's a bit of a crap shoot in the tier 3 levels lol Div 10-14 NCHL. Some guys are good and just wanna play with friends, some are just forever mediocre etc. I know myself after 5 years my skating has improved but I'm still blind out there.

    I have said this many times but if baller rage2 and kenny would fork over some advertising dollars for a set of jerseys it would be sick to make a Team Beyond with all sponsors on the jerseys Euro style (as suggested by justing).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    My Ride
    2013 Ram 1500 / 2016 Cadillac ATS
    Posts
    1,208
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by max_boost
    Just keep in mind it's a bit of a crap shoot in the tier 3 levels lol Div 10-14 NCHL. Some guys are good and just wanna play with friends, some are just forever mediocre etc. I know myself after 5 years my skating has improved but I'm still blind out there.

    I have said this many times but if baller rage2 and kenny would fork over some advertising dollars for a set of jerseys it would be sick to make a Team Beyond with all sponsors on the jerseys Euro style (as suggested by justing).
    I'm so in
    E . ` ' / . F
    Your tears fuel me

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,205
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Kavy
    I'm so in
    Me too! I've been missing hockey.
    A lot.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,056
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Heritage A and SASM

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,205
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by r3ccOs
    Heritage A and SASM
    Are you playing in Heritage A? That's pretty good hockey, isn't it? Mostly ex-junior and major juniors?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
    Posts
    2,348
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I would highly recommend the NCHL learn to play hockey program (https://www.discoverhockey.com/program/). I'm in the middle of it right now and it has been a blast. I was in a similar situation as you, I could skate okay but nothing like the guys that played organised hockey as kids. I've cleaned up a lot of my technique and learned plenty. We actually have our first exhibition game tonight and I'm super keen.
    Insurance Guru - Forum Sponsor

    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

    www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
    Posts
    2,348
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Bump

    So I'm running a summer team playing in the NCHL Division 14 (beginner / old slow guys) South. We'll be playing mostly weeknights and not crazy late (none of this 10:30 business). We have one more space to fill, cost is $387 plus about $80 for home & away jerseys (you keep). We've got more than enough spares but just need one more roster player. Let me know if you're interested.

    Thanks,
    Bill
    Insurance Guru - Forum Sponsor

    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

    www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The White Ghetto
    My Ride
    Altima Se-R
    Posts
    2,139
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I would highly recommend the NCHL learn to play hockey program (https://www.discoverhockey.com/program/). I'm in the middle of it right now and it has been a blast. I was in a similar situation as you, I could skate okay but nothing like the guys that played organised hockey as kids. I've cleaned up a lot of my technique and learned plenty. We actually have our first exhibition game tonight and I'm super keen.
    What gets covered in the learn to play?

    I did the skating course from Tucker Hockey back in university, which was great for learning skating technique and using my edges. I was an okay skater to begin with from lots of childhood years spent playing shinny. The program wasn't limited to just skating, as we learned stick handling and shooting mechanics (though I still can't shoot a decent slap shot).

    Is it similar? Ie. Fundamental individual skill development over team play
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    Posts
    1,162
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally posted by sexualbanana


    What gets covered in the learn to play?

    I did the skating course from Tucker Hockey back in university, which was great for learning skating technique and using my edges. I was an okay skater to begin with from lots of childhood years spent playing shinny. The program wasn't limited to just skating, as we learned stick handling and shooting mechanics (though I still can't shoot a decent slap shot).

    Is it similar? Ie. Fundamental individual skill development over team play
    This is the NCHL link to explain

    https://www.discoverhockey.com/program/

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
    Posts
    2,348
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by sexualbanana


    What gets covered in the learn to play?

    I did the skating course from Tucker Hockey back in university, which was great for learning skating technique and using my edges. I was an okay skater to begin with from lots of childhood years spent playing shinny. The program wasn't limited to just skating, as we learned stick handling and shooting mechanics (though I still can't shoot a decent slap shot).

    Is it similar? Ie. Fundamental individual skill development over team play
    Mostly individual but they do spend some time on basic team play.
    Insurance Guru - Forum Sponsor

    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

    www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Street Hockey/Rec Ball Hockey Goalie Pad Set - $340

    By wardpr68 in forum Fitness & Sports Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 07-03-2012, 12:20 PM
  2. Looking for a Rec Hockey League

    By nosegrindR in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 08-11-2010, 12:03 AM
  3. Need Good Hockey Players For Mens Rec Hockey

    By mrengc in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 08-08-2010, 02:19 PM
  4. rec league hockey

    By Realistic in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 12-08-2008, 01:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •