Quantcast
R.I.P. Fidel Castro - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Fidel Castro

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default R.I.P. Fidel Castro

Good and bad for Cuba, but what a life he lived!

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/...-90/ar-AAkLVdh

Fidel Castro has died at the age of 90, Cuban state television announced on Saturday, ending an era for the country and Latin America.

The revolutionary icon, one of the world’s best-known and most controversial leaders, survived countless US assassination attempts and premature obituaries, but in the end proved mortal after suffering a long battle with illness.

The announcement was long expected, given the former president’s age and health problems, but when it came it was still a shock: the comandante – a figurehead for armed struggle across the developing world – was no more. It was news that friends and foes had long dreaded and yearned for respectively.

The Communist party and state apparatus has prepared for this moment since July 2006 when Castro underwent emergency intestinal surgery and ceded power to his brother, Raúl, who remains in charge.

Fidel wrote occasional columns for the party paper, Granma, and made very occasional public appearances – most recently at the 2016 Communist party congress – but otherwise remained invisible.

Confirmation of his death will trigger celebrations in Miami, the centre of Cuba’s exile community, and mourning among leftwing admirers around the world. For many Cubans on the island who grew up in his shadow, simultaneously respecting and resenting him, it will be a moment of profound ambivalence.

His greatest legacy is free healthcare and education, which have given Cuba some of the region’s best human development statistics. But he is also responsible for the central planning blunders and stifling government controls that – along with the US embargo – have strangled the economy, leaving most Cubans scrabbling for decent food and desperate for better living standards.

The man who famously declared “history will absolve me” leaves a divided legacy. Older Cubans who remember brutal times under Batista tend to emphasise the revolution’s accomplishments. Younger Cubans are more likely to rail against gerontocracy, repression and lost opportunity. But even they refer to Castro by the more intimate name of Fidel.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Saw this news last night.. RIP. He has lived for a long time after so many assassination attempts.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Time to play some COD Black Ops.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Holy crap, I thought he died years ago.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

About time.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by HuMz
    About time.
    Exactly. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Finally. Now maybe Cuba can join the 20th century.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

CIA did it

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Exactly. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    Originally posted by Gestalt
    Finally. Now maybe Cuba can join the 20th century.
    Come on now. Just because you don't believe in his ideologies doesn't mean that everyone shares that sentiment. I'm sure there are a lot of Cubans that would prefer to be continued to be plugged into the Matrix.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by rage2

Come on now. Just because you don't believe in his ideologies doesn't mean that everyone shares that sentiment. I'm sure there are a lot of Cubans that would prefer to be continued to be plugged into the Matrix.
    is it really the Matrix though? I mean, he gained power through a military coup, but some of his social implementations like free health care and free education (post secondary included) are some of the things we are championing for here in Canada and the USA. Granted, there are a lot of bad things that happened under his watch too.

Things might have been a lot more socially evolved without the USA imposed sanctions on Cuba.

Now, don't take this as I love Fidel, but I do like the idea of communism in it's pure form, it's just too bad it doesn't work in the real world...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

How much influence did he have over the last 5-10 years? There was constant reports of him being incapacitated from one illness or another. The idea that now with him gone things will finally change suggests he's been right at the forefront pulling the strings up until his death, is that true? I'd say the US lifting sanctions and lightening embargoes will have far more influence over the country than Castro's death.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by spikerS

Now, don't take this as I love Fidel, but I do like the idea of communism in it's pure form, it's just too bad it doesn't work in the real world...

Castro killed thousands, MILLIONS left the country, and there is abject poverty there. At best, without the sanctions, Cuba would have been maybe in a similiar place to where Russia is now (unlikely, due to no oil).

Cuba had a choice to make, the USA was well within its rights and responsibilities to its citizens to crack down on Cuba as it did. Nothing stopped the other 6.5billion people and their respective countries in the world from working with Cuba. Nobody wanted to.

Speaking of which, thanks Trudeau you fucking piece of shit muppet:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...rudeaueulogies

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...ogies&src=typd

Fuck him and his father.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Castro killed thousands, MILLIONS left the country, and there is abject poverty there. At best, without the sanctions, Cuba would have been maybe in a similiar place to where Russia is now (unlikely, due to no oil).

no, I think you mis-understood me. I am not supporting Castro at all, however, communism in it's PURE form I would support, it is just never achievable.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

no, I think you mis-understood me. I am not supporting Castro at all, however, communism in it's PURE form I would support, it is just never achievable.
    I wouldn't. A society based around the concept of everyone being exactly the same and exactly worthy of the same treatment in life (read; not much) with zero merit base? That sounds bloody fucking awful. And it has been for anyone living in a communist society.

My Ride
    ute

you can't have communism without violence towards the citizens.

Do you support that?

Meritocracy

Why support it then? I don't support communism in it's pure form at all, because it is a pipe dream, and the mere thought that it could exist in that form is dangerous IMO.

Communism is just a terrible ideology that IMO acts as a basic intelligence test for asking people if they think it could work or not. It's like living in a house where there is no consequences for anything. Instantly someone decides not to work or clean up after themselves or contribute in any way because everyone else will support them, and under communism that's perfectly a-ok. Then another, and another decide to follow suite because if that guy can do it, me too. Then the others get pissed off and say fuck this, i'm not doing anything either if THEY aren't. Then the last guy sees his standard of living about to become zero, so he starts boot stomping those 2's face in for not wanting to pick up the slack, at least until they get back to doing enough to 'make it work', and declares that his job from now on.

All the animals are equal, except some are more equal than others.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Originally posted by kaput

How embarrassing.
    What's embarrassing is Americans that can't go on a vacation to Cuba. My father has been to Cuba at least five times and loves the culture and people. Regardless of how horrible Castro was, the people are what makes the country and we should always be extending a message of good faith to those people. The US has too much power in thanks to their great scientists, and too little thought in thanks to their primitive politicians.

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by BigMass

What's embarrassing is Americans that can't go on a vacation to Cuba. My father has been to Cuba at least five times and loves the culture and people. Regardless of how horrible Castro was, the people are what makes the country and we should always be extending a message of good faith to those people. The US has too much power in thanks to their great scientists, and too little thought in thanks to their primitive politicians.
    Do you know any Cubans? Cuban ex-pats?

I can assure you they wouldn't look at complimenting Castro as a sign that you are their friend.
    Last edited by Buster; 11-26-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast