Quantcast
Mexico City? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mexico City?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Mexico City?

Heading down there for a week. Things to do and see solo?

Thanks team.

My Ride
    jetta

Try the tacos

My Ride
    Axis powers

I hear you shouldn't drive there
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by adam c
    I hear you shouldn't go there
    FTFY

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

so many constructive comments. thanks guys

My Ride
    TL

go to oakland to get the same experience without the runs

My Ride
    Silverado

I've heard its a really nice place. I have a friend that travels there often. He is fluent in spanish though. From what he has told me there is a ton to see and do. Maybe keep an eye open if travelling alone at night.

My Ride

So much misinformation here...

Please look at the info in this link instead of the people in this thread who have never traveled to anywhere besides resorts:

https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comm...p_place_to_go/

Public transit is safe and there is uber available there for dirt cheap - no need to rent a car.

My Ride
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer

I live in mexico city right now. Use uber, its cheap and safer. What are you looking to do museums, night life. Check out bottle prices at restaurants, tends to be about the same price as 6-8 drinks.

Museums - Museum of Anthropology. Museo Soumya

Old Architecture and stuff - Zocolo is cool (city center square, old church, murals etc.), Teotihuacan are the pyramids nearby.

Restaurants - Try to make a reservation for Pujol now, check out Chef's Table on Netflix S02E04 I think, one of the top 50 restaurants in the world. will be at least 2000 pesos per person. Villa Maria is a good one too.

My Ride
    NC1

https://www.viator.com/Mexico-City/d628-ttd

I use Viator a lot for my travels. Might be worth looking into. have fun!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I asked my brother to post here, but he's clearly still drunk. He's been in MC for the last 2 weeks.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

FTFY

Originally posted by jwslam
    so many constructive comments. thanks guys

Well, you're not exactly a newb here, you should know what to expect by now.

and no, I have nothing constructive to add.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

I asked my brother to post here, but he's clearly still drunk. He's been in MC for the last 2 weeks.
    Haha I was in Mexico City for 4 days - definitely not enough time to see everything. I spent the rest of the 2 weeks in areas north of MC.

Here are some of my recommendations:

Getting around - User Uber if you have data. It felt safer and was much cheaper than registered taxi. I ordered my SIM through http://www.mexicosimcard.com/ before getting to Mexico. Or use the metro during the day. It's only 5 pesos per person (35 cents) and covers the city pretty well.

Safety - Just don't go visiting the bad neighbourhoods and you'll be fine from a safety perspective. I didn't feel unsafe at any point and we were out until 5AM sometimes.

Stay - If you're a hostel traveller, I would recommend "Suites DF Hostel". Super cheap, very clean and secure, and had a nice terrace/common area for meeting other travellers. There's a store around the corner that sells beers too.

Things to do:

1) Lucha Libre - go watch Mexican WWE on a Friday night. Awesome atmosphere in the arena. I hear it's pretty quiet on the weekdays though. Don't do this through a tour, you'll get overcharged (ie. 600 pesos). We got real good tickets for about 170 pesos at the box office outside the arena, but needed someone who knew Spanish to get them for us haha. You can also order tickets on Ticketmaster in advance.

2) Food - If you're into steaks, try ordering Arrachera at a nice steakhouse. These flank/skirt steaks are real popular in Mexico. Not the best cut, but absorbs flavors and spices real well. We had a 1KG steak at Sonora Grill that was awesome.

2b) Street food - Tons of taco stands around MC, but the difference between a good stand and a bad one is huge.

I'd recommend El Huequito for Tacos al Pastor - this one of the original places that started these tacos (basically Donair meat in a taco, started by Lebanese merchants who migrated to MC back in the day). Make sure you go to the original one though, it's literally a hole in the wall: https://goo.gl/maps/dWfXCdYvjgQ2

If you're into different meats, try Taqueria El Progreso. They had regular beef, sausage, cheek, intestines, brains, pig snout, tongue, etc. Even the regular beef/sausage tacos were some of the best I've ever had.

3) Canals and floating gardens - You can rent a boat (be careful not to get ripped off) and float down the canals south of the city. This is in an area called Xochimilco. Mexico City was originally an Aztec city built on an island on a lake. When the Spanish took over, they tore down the old city and drained the lake around it to expand the city. These canals and Aztec-era gardens are what's left from the lake.

4) Teotihuacan pyramids and archaeological site - Probably the main tourist attraction around MC and is maybe an hour outside of the city. I didn't have enough time to go, but everyone at the hostel that went enjoyed it. I would book a tour if you're interested in learning that stuff.

Areas/districts to check out:

1) Centro Historico - Lots of stuff to do here day and night. It's the Colonial/European part of the city with a very different feel. You'll see monuments, a palace/chapel/cathedral (Zocalo), shopping, nice restaurant bars, North American food chains, cafes, live music, etc. We went to a pretty good show at the Zinco jazz club for under $10 each, and ate at a really nice/cool restaurant called Azul Historico - I'd highly recommend both of those. Tons of people walking around even at night, but it's not the main nightlife district in the city.

2) Coyoacan - Go here if you're interested in museums/art, but not much to see outside of that. My girlfriend went to the Frida Kahlo museum in this area (also where she was born and lived apparently). She had to wait 45-60 minutes to get in on a weekday, and the wait's supposed to be closer to 2 hours on the weekends. I checked out a market around the corner and a cafe called "Cafe el Jarocho" - great coffee for real cheap if you're in the area.

3) San Angel - Wealthy area of the city in the south where you'll find Mexican housewives haha. There were a bunch of parks, small shops, awesome fine-dining restaurants (probably the best we found in the city), and real nice houses to check out during the day. There's a bazaar/market on Saturday that we missed too. Not much of a night scene here though.

4) Zona Rosa - This used to be the main nightlife district in MC. We would start off our nights at the restaurants and bars here, then go elsewhere (see below) later in the night. I'd recommend doing the same as long as you're not homophobic - it's also the gay centre of MC haha. Not much to see here though, it's mostly an entertainment district

5) Condesa - We ended up at Condesa most nights. Bars and clubs here are still busy after 4AM. I'd recommend Pata Negra if you're into clubbing. Otherwise, there are a bunch of pubs/restaurants along the same strip. There's also an area called Roma right beside here with art galleries, cafes and parks that we skipped.

Hope this helps!

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Don't expect to find any burritos though... they're not Mexican food haha.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by [GaGe]
    My girlfriend went to the Frida Kahlo museum in this area (also where she was born and lived apparently).
    Your GF is Mexican? I thought she was American. That's it I'm building a wall.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by [GaGe]
    snip
    Only takes one good post to save my thread. Thanks

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Your GF is Mexican? I thought she was American. That's it I'm building a wall.
    haha you know what I meant.

My Ride
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer

Funny enough Jwslam, G and I just bought the tickets to the Lucha Libre on Friday. So we are going to that together.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

My buddy says we're going to watch wrestling on friday night with his coworkers. I can only assume it's the same thing. Beyond meet?!? LOL

My Ride
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer

Beyond meet up it is. I asked coworker if his visiting buddy was on beyond. We will hit up a cantina nearish the arena for beverages first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast