Quantcast
Car backed into.....what's next? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Car backed into.....what's next?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by cancer man
    you were parked in front of your friends driveway 50/50 split and good luck.
    What?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by schurchill39
    I know you want to do this lady a solid, and I commend you for it, but I think you're in for a headache. I've dealt with similar situations in the past and things turn ugly real quick once you present them with the costs associated with their mistake (damage repair + rental). She is going to start questioning the quote saying its way to high etc.

Unless she has cash she is willing to hand over the second you give her a quote, save yourselves the hassle and just go through insurance.
    +2

Had someone back into my parked car as well when it was parked on the street. They did seek me out and I appreciated it and that they didn't do a hit and run.

He was pretty remorseful and apologetic and wanted to take care of it outside insurance. Said sure, I'll get a few quotes.

Thing is, real car bodywork is not cheap. Sure the door and mirror parts where cheap but after labour, paint and paint blending, it was prettty pricey and he did a total 180 on wanting to pay it and questioned the quotes provided.

Then he pulled the "hey can you take your car to my buddy's shop"? Told him we are going through insurance after that and we save headaches on both sides and no one feels like they are getting ripped off.

Hopefully the higher premiums as a result will teach him to be a more careful driver.

Originally posted by Gestalt
    Is it just the door? What kind of car? Just go call a couple wreckers, find a matching door, toss it on.

No need for big money drama.

If it's more than the door, get a quote from a couple independent body shops that don't do a lot of insurance work. Give it to her, and let her decide if she pays or insurance.

It's no stress helping someone out when you can. It's just a car.
    Yep call the wreckers. Replace yourself or post on here for someone to replace for you. Car looks relatively new so wreckers should have a few matching doors. Way more cost effective.

Originally posted by eblend

Been thinking about it haha, wanted to pay off the house first, but that's pretty much done, so perhaps time to think about it. I have been thinking this car is cursed as of the last few days, got a speeding ticket like 2 days ago, then a day later this...get her fixed up and move on.

I'm of the same opinion, but since it's her company paying, I still pay into my insurance and not using it...so doesn't matter ether way to me.

Got a quote from a place today, $4800 to fix it up, or 2 hours of work to replace the door if I get them one to just swap it out.
    Yah well good luck when she flakes on paying/complains/makes you get 5 quotes/whatever. I may be jaded haha

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

You're absolutely nuts not to use insurance. Don't come back crying if you don't.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by lasimmon

Yah well good luck when she flakes on paying/complains/makes you get 5 quotes/whatever. I may be jaded haha
    then you just go through insurance, its not like theres a deadline to file a claim (well maybe there is, but i am sure its at least a few months)

insurance is always there as a backup if she flakes....

i had a similar thing happen a year or so ago, got rear ended, really not that bad, but the quotes were $4500 on a $2k civic, would have loved to keep the car, it was solid and reliable, i really wanted the other person to settle out of insurance so i didnt lose my car, really all i needed was a trunk lid and a bumper cover and some sledgehammer love, maybe $200 to fix myself, but she went through insurance so i lost my car...
    Last edited by Thaco; 11-30-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I pay for comprehensive insurance so I don't have to waste my time dealing with stuff like this. Such a huge waste of time. Sure sometimes the other party is legit, but when it goes south it's such a PITA.

Case in point last year a co-worker got rear ended the night before he was travelling for 2 months, and asked me to help out. No problems, except he wanted to help the poor girl out by not going through insurance. I went out, got 1 quote from the defacto Mercedes repair shop that the dealers use, and the girl got all pissy about how expensive it was. Questioned the labour, cost of parts, hidden damage, just tons of bullshit. Wanted another quote. Just kept saying no to everything. She kept delaying paying the shop, and we were worried she wouldn't pay for hidden damage (luckily there was none). So not worth the headaches.

Call insurance, drop off car, confirm with adjuster, pick up car, go on with life.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I had a similar situation. I talked to her point blank, but was going to fix my door myself with a matching one from a wrecker.
    Ballparked the cost of door shipped and then a few hours of my time because, hey, she's enjoying her weekend, I'm working away and I'm saving her money.

She said, I have no money. Go through insurance. Left it up to her but I also did get all her info and had gotten a police report done and informed her that I got it done and supplied her with the case # and for her to go give her side of the story.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Wow bummer!

I was on Crowchild this morning on the 53 st off ramp and got rear ended by a chick. I thought of this thread immediately haha.

I felt fine at first but now the stiffness is setting into my neck as I type this. I told the girl at the time that I would be willing to settle outside of insurance if it worked out but I'm not so sure if it's in my best interest if stiffness/pain becomes a bigger issue down the road.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 11-30-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Originally posted by rx7boi
    Wow bummer!

I was on Crowchild this morning on the 53 st off ramp and got rear ended by a chick. I thought of this thread immediately haha.

I felt fine at first but now the stiffness is setting into my neck as I type this. I told the girl at the time that I would be willing to settle outside of insurance if it worked out but I'm not so sure if it's in my best interest if stiffness/pain becomes a bigger issue down the road.
    Were you all over the news for causing the delay this morning?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by lasimmon

Were you all over the news for causing the delay this morning?

That accident was right next to the offramp where I was. Even when we were exchanging information, there were so many drivers that were checking out the accident that they almost rear ended someone.

That accident is a gong show. 4 lane down to 2 lanes.

That accident was right next to the offramp where I was. Even when we were exchanging information, there were so many drivers that were checking out the accident that they almost rear ended someone.

That accident is a gong show. 4 lane down to 2 lanes.
    What a cluster fuck that was this morning. The one day I decide to take Crow all the way DT instead of my Bowness route.

My Ride
    G37X

Wow bummer!

If there's any potential injuries or damage I wouldn't even think of going outside of insurance. Someone backs into an unoccupied car and does cosmetic damage maybe, but I wouldn't risk it with what you're saying. Sorry to hear about your morning.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Agreed. I don't want to risk anything so we both opted to have insurance handle this.

It's unfortunate that I couldn't give her a break because I know how stressful this kind of stuff can be.

But as many others have said in this thread, costs add up quick and people start balking and getting paranoid.

I opened up a claim this morning with my insurance company.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Agreed. I don't want to risk anything so we both opted to have insurance handle this.

It's unfortunate that I couldn't give her a break because I know how stressful this kind of stuff can be.

But as many others have said in this thread, costs add up quick and people start balking and getting paranoid.

I opened up a claim this morning with my insurance company.
    take the payout and grab a junkyard door

Originally posted by Thaco
    then you just go through insurance, its not like theres a deadline to file a claim (well maybe there is, but i am sure its at least a few months)

insurance is always there as a backup if she flakes....

r...
    Exactly. There's no downside to trying to help someone out.

And I have done it for people, and people have done it for me.

Last time, I backed into a car at pick n pull. Insurance based shops would have wanted $3500 minimum. I got a quote for $1000, asked the guy to take it there, check there work, and I met him and told the proprietor the bill was on me.

The guy said no problem, but next day said he'd take cash. I printed a letter, had him sign, gave him a grand.

No wasted $2500 to raise everyone's rates. No tickets.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by G-ZUS

take the payout and grab a junkyard door
    I'm not the OP. Not sure which route he's going with.

I hijacked the thread because I got rear-ended this morning

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Got the cash ($1000):

And the door ($462 taxes in):

Will install it myself this Saturday! So far nice and easy....no rental car...no leaving car behind and driving for a few weeks with busted door...come this weekend it will be like it never happened, and I get $538 for my troubles.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

nice work.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast