Quantcast
Wheel locks worth it in Calgary? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wheel locks worth it in Calgary?

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

If it gives me an edge on a thief, id use them. If my truck is parked in a lot with locks beside a truck that doesnt, my hope is that they would take that truck over mine. If a thief wants your wheels, they will get them but anything i can do to deter or slow them down even for a minute is worth it in my book.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    NC1

F150 in Cochrane this morning
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I will bet you that truck had locks too... Really though, wheel theft isn't near as prevalent as it was 20 years ago. I think it is hecause the values of most mag wheels has dropped dramatically over the years so the rewards for selling stolen rims isn't even remotely as lucrative for the thief.

If they are worth multiple thousands of dollars and/or are super rare and desireable then sure... But the vast majority of wheels out there are not worth a thiefs time and effort and risk for the amount of reward they will get from them.

My Ride
    BB6

Originally posted by tirebob
    I will bet you that truck had locks too... Really though, wheel theft isn't near as prevalent as it was 20 years ago. I think it is hecause the values of most mag wheels has dropped dramatically over the years so the rewards for selling stolen rims isn't even remotely as lucrative for the thief.

If they are worth multiple thousands of dollars and/or are super rare and desireable then sure... But the vast majority of wheels out there are not worth a thiefs time and effort and risk for the amount of reward they will get from them.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. If I was a wheel thief and saw a junker with a decent set of new tires on it, the 15 minutes to take those wheels off is worth the risk of flipping the tires for a few hundred

Originally posted by nicknolte

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If I was a wheel thief and saw a junker with a decent set of new tires on it, the 15 minutes to take those wheels off is worth the risk of flipping the tires for a few hundred
    See if I was a thief I am looking for the most value for the risk, especially if I am banging around with jack and tools in an exposed public area. Shit... I would rather be less conspicuous and jack the entire vehicle and take it to where I could strip it easily with a lot less effort.

Look... At some point or another theives will steal just about anything, but "generally" somebody is planning shit like this and isn't just wandering home with a jack and tools slung over there shoulder for no reason and they randomly decide to steal rims. Usually these fuckers are driving around with a plan, and in those instances your beater with new tires would be a last resort compared to GTR with custom built Work wheels and Pilot Supersports on it...

My Ride
    2020 M2 Competition

hmm, guess it will come down to how much I want wheel locks since I found these lugs, uses the same alloy of aluminum as expensive project kics ones, but nearly half the price

http://949racing.com/forged-alloy-lugs-black-12x15.aspx

they don't come with locks though

Gorilla locks are quite nice, forged steel and spline drive. Comes in a set of 20. Means every single one is going to have to be forced off. Are you gonna steal the wheels off that car or the one next to it with stock lugs?
    dv/dt

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by rage2
    http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...et/A-p8320954e

They're useless.
    This, we used these but a snap on version of lug nut removers for people with wrecked McGuard locks we couldn't get off from time to time at the dealership. With a battery operated impact gun, it takes 10 seconds to jam the socket on and remove the lock.

But I still find myself putting wheel locks on all my cars regardless piece of mind I guess.

My Ride
    is broken

I wonder how much it would cost to engineer a nut with a bearing as the outer face. This would defeat those lug nut removers. The remover would just spin in place. Then you would be forced to use a Hex or maybe 5 point style tool.

If you want to get real serious do a Centre hub conversion. Good luck cranking those puppies off.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by 88CRX

Is that an LRT parking lot?

I would never consider leaving anything nice in one of those lots!
    He didn't...

As I do all my wheel changeovers I am at a point where I would pay a dealer to NOT include locking nuts on my new car now.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Oddly enough, the only time I have seen/heard of wheel theft has been oem wheels... my uncle had the wheels taken off his escalade on his driveway. Mayland Heights isnt the best area...but pretty gutsy none the less.

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Oddly enough, the only time I have seen/heard of wheel theft has been oem wheels... my uncle had the wheels taken off his escalade on his driveway. Mayland Heights isnt the best area...but pretty gutsy none the less.
    22" OEM Escalade wheels are damn nice and expensive from factory so no surprise there. OEM's are also worth just as much as your average aftermarket so why take the risk trying to sell a custom set when you can sell a generic set

My Ride
    TRD Pro

The replacement cost was apparently ridiculous... OEM wheels certainly wouldnt stand out as much either.

Originally posted by R-Audi
    The replacement cost was apparently ridiculous... OEM wheels certainly wouldnt stand out as much either.
    $10k for the rims/tires

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2