Quantcast
SmartThings - Home Automation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: SmartThings - Home Automation

Default SmartThings - Home Automation

I see some others are using SmartThings and wanted to get an idea of what everyone else is integrating with it. I got all my equipment this Black Friday and have been installing it all week. Overall I think it's working ok, but I have a lot of disappointments in the early going.

SmartThings Home Monitoring kit with 2 door contacts, 1 motion sensor, and 1 ZigBee outlet.
    -Ring Doorbell Pro - no live view in ST
    -2x Schlage locks - poor zwave range
    -11 Wemo light switches - no 3 way switches
    -Logitech Harmony Hub
    -Chamberlain MyQ - 2 garage doors, 1 light switch, 1 lamp switch - no longer integrates

Right now I am working on getting 3 P0E cameras integrated through Blue Iris.

Another challenge I have is I need some more zwave devices to act as repeaters so the basement door lock works.

Looking for siren recommendations also.

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

For range, buy a few GE zwave switches. They act as repeaters.

Look for myq connect - is no longer supported but it works like a charm. My garage door auto opens when I'm 50 get away.

I have two schlage locks and they work great- perhaps a range issue?

Don't waste money on wemo, aside from being weirdly sized they're not natively supported by ST. I have over 30 zwave switches and they're instant and create a great zwave mesh network.

Amazon has the best price/selection.

Originally posted by imranm

Look for myq connect - is no longer supported but it works like a charm.
    How/Where do you find this? I'm assuming it's a SmartApp but don't know how to find it to install it.

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

Originally posted by phreezee

How/Where do you find this? I'm assuming it's a SmartApp but don't know how to find it to install it.
    It's no longer available on github. Pm me your email address and I'll send it your way

Awesome thanks, will update on how I make out with the app.
    Last edited by phreezee; 12-03-2016 at 08:50 PM.

No luck with the MyQ app. There's an error when saving the device list. I found the original github code here: https://github.com/copy-ninja/SmartT...connect.groovy

Thanks regardless.

Wemo switches are working well for me. The main reason I went with them is the $35 vs $70 price tag. Just wish they made a 3-way compatible version.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the GE Z-Wave outlets on sale to use as repeaters. Too bad the lamp outlet that came with the Home Monitoring Kit is ZigBee.

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

No luck with the MyQ app. There's an error when saving the device list. I found the original github code here: https://github.com/copy-ninja/SmartT...connect.groovy

Thanks regardless.

Wemo switches are working well for me. The main reason I went with them is the $35 vs $70 price tag. Just wish they made a 3-way compatible version.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the GE Z-Wave outlets on sale to use as repeaters. Too bad the lamp outlet that came with the Home Monitoring Kit is ZigBee.
    Damn thats too bad! Its actually a great feature on ST with the garage doors automated.

For the GE Switches, check Amazon. They regularly sell for around ~$50.

Zigbee works great on ST also.

I have been using smartthings for about a year now.

Cree zigbee smart bulbs are pretty cheap at homedepot if you're needing bulbs. Last time I bought some they were $6 each.

Did some tinkering this week after getting my Google Home working and got this app working for MyQ!

https://github.com/brbeaird/SmartThings_MyQ

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

Any comments on GE vs Leviton?

GE Z Wave Dimmer
    https://www.amazon.ca/GE-Z-Wave-Smar...ords=ge+z+wave
    GE Addon switch
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...UTF8&psc=1

Leviton Z Wave switch
    https://www.amazon.ca/Leviton-DZS15-...leviton+z+wave
    Leviton Digital matching switch
    I've replaced about twenty switches and they're all GE. Always worked great for me

Last app update gave us battery status! Very useful and good to know that my door locks are still at 98% after running for months.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Does anybody use a siren with SmartThings? Thinking of getting the Aeon siren, https://www.aartech.ca/aeotec-zw080-zwave-siren.html

^^most of the reviews on Amazon say that one isn't very loud but I haven't found anything over 106db. Guess you'd have to get at least 1 per floor.

https://www.amazon.ca/Aeon-Labs-Aeot...owViewpoints=1

Leviton Z Wave switch
    https://www.amazon.ca/Leviton-DZS15-...leviton+z+wave
    Leviton Digital matching switch
    Price drop alert! From $75 to $43. Looks like the new regular price.

^ I swapped out switches in a 3-way and 4-way configuration as a 1st batch test run and the Levitons work well with SmartThings and Google Home. Ordered more to complete the house.

Still don't understand the need for home automation other than another couple apps to keep people dickin around in their phones.

I've never felt the need to control anything in my home from a device. And I have a brand new home with a few bits of automation built in
    Ami I totally out to lunch?
    1990 Poonstang
    1990 Sexplorer
    1967 Chevelle Panty Dropper
    2003 GMC SLE 1500HD Donkey Hauler
    2013 Ram Longhorn w/ a 6" lift and 35s
    2017 Nissan Maxima

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by colinderksen
    Still don't understand the need for home automation other than another couple apps to keep people dickin around in their phones.

I've never felt the need to control anything in my home from a device. And I have a brand new home with a few bits of automation built in
    Ami I totally out to lunch?
    The point is to not have to dick around with your phone. Really once everything is setup if you need to use your phone, you're doing it wrong. The goal is to set things up so either things are done on a schedule, or a single action such as setting your alarm for night mode will trigger turning off all the lights, locking doors, closing blinds etc. instead of walking through the house and doing everything manually.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

The point is to not have to dick around with your phone. Really once everything is setup if you need to use your phone, you're doing it wrong. The goal is to set things up so either things are done on a schedule, or a single action such as setting your alarm for night mode will trigger turning off all the lights, locking doors, closing blinds etc. instead of walking through the house and doing everything manually.
    Is your house setup like that? If it is, can you post a write up? Your advice on AP was gold, I'd love to see what you've done on the automation front.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by digi355
    Is your house setup like that? If it is, can you post a write up? Your advice on AP was gold, I'd love to see what you've done on the automation front.
    Already did that a when I started the project.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396913/di...apple-homekit/

Although I should update it at some point.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Some of my scenes... The top 4 are my most used ones, which allows me to open or close the top or bottom row of blinds in the living room. Secure the house is pretty much locking the house down and closing all the blinds. Goodnight is an extended version of that where it turns off all the lights too.

Front greeting is when either expecting visitors, detects motion at the front door, or when I come home after sunset and turns on the driveway and front door lights. Entertain main floor is when I have guests over, turns on and sets brightness on about 15 sets of lights and opens all the blinds in the living room.

These scenes are either triggered by other actions (motion, specific lights turning on/off), time based, geofenced, or a combination of "I'm arriving home after sunset". If I do go to sleep earlier, I do fuck around with my phone, a simple Hey Siri Goodnight means I don't have to walk 3 floors to turn shit off and lock the doors.

I have a shit ton of other scenes that don't use up the space on my favorites, such as breakfast (runs at 6:15am and sets lights towards kitchen), kids bedtime to dim all lights but brightens lights towards their rooms, or bedtime stories which sets warmer color temp in their room for story time so it's easier on the eyes and gets 'em tired. Most of these adhoc ones are triggered by voice.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast