I started a huge thread on this about a year ago and went through the same thing. Actually I am still going through it. If you have benefits I do recommend physio. I wouldn't say my back got
Better since going to Physio but I learned a lot about how to take care of yourself and I continue to go because it feels good getting the treatment they give you. It really comes down to you though. They will teach you what to do and it is up to you to actually do it. With that being said you really don't have to go. Research and do a lot of stretching that includes your back and core. Strengthen the shit out of your core the best you can, and be mindful of what your doing and how you do it. I can't just do whatever I want anymore not thinking about my back. I still suffer back pain but not like I felt when I posted on here about my pain. I still need to stretch and do core work at home I haven't listened to my physiotherapist much. I find it hard to do as I work in camp and do 12 hour days but my New Years resolution is to start taking better care of myself.

Good luck with it man. It really sucks and it seems like it's going to be a life long battle for myself. Getting old sucks.