Quantcast
AMVIC Only paid out $2000 last year (2015) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: AMVIC Only paid out $2000 last year (2015)

Default AMVIC Only paid out $2000 last year (2015)

Thought I'd share this. Heard it on the news.

The Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council will undergo a complete overhaul after an independent report released Tuesday found a dysfunctional system sitting on almost $4 million that should have been paid out to ripped-off consumers.

Already CEO John Bachinski has left, after the council's board decided changes required new leadership and a completely re-writing of the boss' role.

In August 2016, following years of concerns about how the organization was being run and rafts of consumer complaints, Service Alberta Minister Stephanie McLean appointed George Cuff to review the council's governance. The hefty 225-page report made 23 recommendations on how to improve it.

What is AMVIC?

The Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council, created in 2012, regulates all facets of the auto industry, from new vehicle sales to repairs. Its duties include comparing ads for vehicle sales with reality when it comes to prices and overseeing a victim compensation fund for consumers who suffer loss at the hands of, say, a car dealership. McLean said Tuesday while the idea of AMVIC is "excellent," its execution has been lacking.

What is the problem?

McLean said the list of the many and varied complaints about the council is "quite long," including low public confidence, high levels of staff turnover, concerns over the actions of former administrators and questions about whether or not the council acts in the best interest of Albertans.

In particular, Cuff's report zeroed in on what reads as a toxic atmosphere within the organization — a lack of guidance by senior management, inconsistency in investigations, staff worried they would be reprimanded for raising concerns, and the general lack of a "quality leadership team."

While he said the situation has improved since 2014, he found that since the council was created, the CEO's dual leadership role — overseeing the industry council's day-to-day operations while simultaneously being arbiter of appeals — simply hasn't worked. There have been some successes, Cuff noted, but AMVIC needs an overhaul.

How will it change?

Cuff recommended a wide swath of changes, including redefining the role of the CEO and creating a new registrar position to oversee industry legislation, registration systems, complaints and compensation.

The compensation program for consumers will be completely redrawn, with a mandate to make it more consumer friendly. As it stands, the fund has a balance of $4 million — the maximum amount allowed — but paid out just $2,000 last year. Also, the board will include equal input from public and industry, the chair will be appointed by government, and the council will finally get a human resources manager. While McLean accepted Cuff's recommendations in their entirety, she said it will be months before the overhaul is complete.

This is a complex shake-up, she said, and some action items require legislation changes. She is confident fixing AMVIC will restore the public's faith in the automotive industry.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/12/0...verhaul-report

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

It's a start.

At least that fucking loser John Bachinski was fired. That guy is the definition of lazy and incompetent.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

At least it's a first step in the right direction

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

As it stands, AMVIC is useless and just serves to add a layer of bureaucracy in to what should be a simple free market business like any other. Most of their board members are owners of large automotive businesses and are preoccupied with creating roadblocks to make life difficult for smaller businesses and all but impossible for startups with limited capital. It's a clear conflict of interest in my opinion to have your competition ruling on issues relating to your business. They do very little good for the public and create a false sense of security for the consumer that the government has their back. I say scrap AMVIC entirely.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by carson blocks
    AMVIC is useless.................. I say scrap AMVIC entirely.

My Ride
    Silverado

the board will be going to 50-50 between industry and public

all we need is a lemon law now.

My Ride
    Silverado

The watchdog organization for Alberta's car dealership industry is ousting its CEO.

John Bachinski will be replaced as CEO of the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC), the agency responsible for regulating new and used car dealers in the province.

His removal from the organization followed an independent review of the agency commissioned by the province.

Review of automotive business watchdog to be headed by George Cuff
    Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council sued for negligence
    The author of the report, George Cuff, made 22 recommendations to change the structure of the organization and the board. Service Alberta Minister Stephanie McLean said she accepts all of them.

"When consumers and industry have an equal voice at AMVIC's decision-making table, it will improve outcomes for all Albertans," she said.

Cuff recommends changing the structure of the board, which was tilted in favour of industry, to have equal representation from the public.

The chair of the board should be appointed by the minister after a search, Cuff found.

Under the current structure, the CEO oversees investigations of consumer complaints and then rules on them. Cuff recommends the government create the position of registrar to take care of enforcing regulations, leaving the CEO with the responsibility of administering the organization.

"This can ensure there can be no interference with investigations when actions under the Fair Trading Act are being considered," McLean said.

A draft internal review from Service Alberta leaked to CBC News last year said Bachiniski was directly or indirectly involving himself in "investigations, inspections or licensing."

Cuff also wants responsibility for approving claims under the compensation fund to be transferred to an independent board of trustees, with equal representation from the public and industry.

The review found that the fund, created in 2012, had reached its $4-million limit. Yet very few claims had been paid to consumers, with only one, totaling $2,000, granted last year.

"This is not acceptable and it needs to change," McLean said.

AMVIC under fire after fraud case

AMVIC licenses and regulates auto dealers and repair shops, and investigates consumer complaints. It's supposed to serve as a self-regulating watchdog over industry on behalf of the public, operating at arm's length from the government. It operates under the purview of Service Alberta, which appoints a board to oversee it.

McLean appointed Cuff, former mayor of Spruce Grove, in August 2016 to review the operations and governance of AMVIC. The investigation was intended to strengthen public confidence in the regulatory board.

AMVIC director acted like 'tyrant,' internal draft review says
    The body came under fire in 2015 after the owner of Treadz Auto, a now defunct vehicle consignment company, was arrested in connection with an alleged $1.8-million forgery, theft and fraud ring.

The industry council was named, along with TreadzAuto, in a $5-million class action lawsuit. Vehicle owners say the automotive watchdog failed to investigate their concerns after the consignment company didn't honour their contracts.

TreadzAuto sued in $5M class action along with AMVIC
    TreadzAuto owner accused of vehicle consignment fraud
    In 2015, the provincial government amended the Fair Trading Act to give Service Alberta enhanced powers over some regulatory organizations, including AMVIC.

The amendments gave the minister the power to order a review of AMVIC's governance and operations.

The review found the board relied too much on the CEO for advice and direction and wasn't as involved in governance and management as it should be. Cuff heard the board wants to change and "get a better handle on things."

The review also found staff were unhappy with senior management within AMVIC. Cuff notes in his report that staff came to him "without prompting" during the interview process and followed up by phone and email afterwards.

The organization has also had high staff turnover, with 42 of the current 48 employees hired in the last four years. The five senior managers have been with AMVIC less than five years.

Cuff concluded the administration of AMVIC needs to improve, with an emphasis on team work and collegiality.

"Senior management still has some distance to do in order to become a quality leadership team," Cuff wrote.

"While we respect the fact that senior managers prefer to hold onto their roles and guard them jealously, the good of the system requires enhanced, ongoing communication including shared problems and solutions."

The report recommends the role of the CEO be changed and that the board "take the necessary steps to restore confidence in the administrative leadership and direction which are central to the transformational changes we have recommended."

Bachinski was removed from his position after the results of the review were shared with the board on Dec. 5. An interim CEO has yet to be named.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...view-1.3883766

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

i wonder who got the 2000..

AMVIC is silly, anyway . with their fear-mongering campaign as well.

Something like AMVIC is very necessary to regulate crooks, but they don't do enough, I completely agree with the overhaul.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by thetransporter
    i wonder who got the 2000..

Probably some teenage first time buyer who's mom went in pleaded their story how her son doesn't know how Non refundable deposits works.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isnt the scammer's golden rule to "govern yourself accordingly". Well AMVIC, ball is in your court :mic drop:

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by carson blocks
    I say scrap AMVIC entirely.
    I say AMVIC will need to exist but with more government oversight.

And AMVIC fees collected from dealers should based on vloume/risk assessment like insurance. So it will actually hurt the cost of doing business if you run a bad one. And laws should be written that running dealership without AMVIC suppose would impose heavy fines.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

2000/ where did the rest go ?

For a second there I thought it was my refund for $2000 mentioned, but nope I got mine last year (2016). AMVIC did help with getting my deposit back, so maybe things are changing.