Quantcast
Next career move - where to go - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Next career move - where to go

My Ride
    4x4

Default Next career move - where to go

Pondering this a lot lately, I'm feeling my years...

What would you guys be looking at if doing a career change later in life? Moving from skilled labour to something a bit more desk oriented...

I don't even know where to start - its even worse in this economy... (Pretty sure we can rule out anything that requires >4yrs of post secondary though; even 2 for me would be a massive struggle to wrap my head around)

Thanks in advance,

Technical sales. Electrical/mechanical. Like a retailer/distributor of industrial/commercial products such as siemens/ge. HVAC companies seem to be busy right now.

Often they do require some sort of technical diploma. Rarely do they demand degrees. With a friend or some good old contact mining it isn't hard to find work as a sales guy without school as am older gent. A few guys I worked with at my old office didn't have technical school but sold engineered electrical products. They were mechanics or experienced sales people.

The big benefit is that most of those jobs start with 60+k base salary then commission on top.

Start looking at a smaller family run business, they usually are more willing to take a chance on people.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Default Re: Next career move - where to go

Originally posted by AndyL
    Pondering this a lot lately, I'm feeling my years...

What would you guys be looking at if doing a career change later in life? Moving from skilled labour to something a bit more desk oriented...

I don't even know where to start - its even worse in this economy... (Pretty sure we can rule out anything that requires >4yrs of post secondary though; even 2 for me would be a massive struggle to wrap my head around)

Thanks in advance,
    Feeling your years?

Interesting as I spent years, actually decades, as a desk jockey with just a bit of physical activity thrown in as an inside tech at TELUS/AGT and then managing our own business and for the past 2 years I've been installing cabinets, doing finishing carpentry and installing hardware/doors and have never felt better in my life. All inside work in heated spaces (that probably helps) but I came into this with no experience. My current time has been pretty much very steady work with the future looking to be very busy - income has been very good as well, very, very good. An additional bonus, my hours of work are not rigid and as a sub, I get write offs.

Sometimes your years can be a bonus that one can use as a personal selling point - real world experience, the ability to communicate effectively plus being able to change gears or quickly find alternative solutions to unforeseen problems are things that are greatly valued on most job sites. Also realize that a computer and/or the Internet can quickly make many a desk job irrelevant and in a much faster timeline than many would like to believe. Take stock of your strengths and maybe expand on how valuable they are, the trick is networking (gah, I hate that word) and making the right connections.
    Last edited by speedog; 12-08-2016 at 09:33 AM.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Move into the pipeline protest business. Just make sure you get water proof gear

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

As R154 mentioned, sales could be an option someone with lots of "hands on" technical experience, assuming you don't mind selling.

However, I would suggest going to a large company vs a small family run shop. The large corporation will have all the support you need and give you some time to develop your client base and generate revenue. Small companies don't typically have the infrastructure required and may not give you the time you need.

My Ride
    4x4

Default Re: Re: Next career move - where to go

Originally posted by speedog

Feeling your years?

Yep, arthritis mostly but starting to really feel it. My job doesn't exactly qualify as light labour...

A big ship might not let him into sales. Maybe inside sales/sales coordinator.
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I would suggest talking inventory of your passions. Like myself, later on in life, one usually has a good idea of what they SHOULD be doing, and that usually involves following your passions (eg. career change).

I also would strongly suggest not ruling out education - tech or light trades even. I've gone back to post secondary twice and both times were tough yet I made it through - and I am NOT an academic person.

If you end up sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day, it might be more detrimental than your present line of work.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Bid on city contracts?

http://www.calgary.merx.com/

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

What about working for Finning or SMS as an outside sales associate. Currently both my brother in laws do this and they love it. Basically your in an office taking sales calls or taking clients out to lunches and once or twice a week you head out to the site, mine, logging camp to look at their equipment to see if it needs new tracks, blades or wheels. They use to do this is Fort Mac and go back and forth to site but now both live in Kamloops and head out to the coal / good / iron mines.

Seems like a pretty decent job for zero school.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Axis powers

Use your skilled labour to build desks?

#illseemyselfout
    Sig nuked by mod.

just my opinion:
    never make your passion into a career. it will sooner or later feel like a chore and ruin your passion. instead do something you enjoy but can easily separate from your personal life.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Trying to figure out what you want to do when you grow up eh? If you ever develop a solution, please let the rest of us know. You could be a rich man if you solve this one.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by timdog
    just my opinion:
    never make your passion into a career. it will sooner or later feel like a chore and ruin your passion. instead do something you enjoy but can easily separate from your personal life.
    I would disagree. I've always followed my passions and even though the industry sometimes tries to beat it hard out of you, it is rewarding in its own, wierd way, to be able to do what you are wired to do, for monetary gain.

Nothing worse than sitting at a desk for 8 hours doing something you absolutely have ZERO interest in.

How old are you Andy? Do you have a bit of a cushion financially to be able to go back to school? Even better, are you entrepreneurial minded? If so it is a great opportunity to spend some time researching out your own personal interests and seeing how one could form a viable business around something that puts a smile on your face. If finances do not really allow for a meaningful investment, you could still find avenues into areas of interest from an employment standpoint. I have a good friend who was working industrial parts sales for years and years who hated the day to day grind, but in the evening he took up hand tool woodworking purely for relaxation. He quickly immersed himself into learning and practicing everything he could. Taking a course a Lee Valley in the evening parlayed into him becoming assistant manager at the store which brought in connections that has now parlayed into him being employed full time doing custom high end woodworking in uber rich peoples homes. The job he is on right now is 2 full years in one rich guys home. It was about three years from deciding to quit his secure yet mind numbing job to being back up to the same kind of income pre-career change.

My point being, depending on what you can handle financially, you could do your interests and move from there into a career or lifestyle. If you go this route, in my mind you are better offer making lower money while being trained and essentially having someone pay you to learn rather than paying to go to school, but obviously if you are wanting more of an office gig right out of the gate, specialized schooling can get you there.

Originally posted by revelations

I would disagree. I've always followed my passions and even though the industry sometimes tries to beat it hard out of you, it is rewarding in its own, wierd way, to be able to do what you are wired to do, for monetary gain.

Nothing worse than sitting at a desk for 8 hours doing something you absolutely have ZERO interest in.
    fair enough. I wouldnt ever recommend doing something you have zero interest in though. I still think it's important to do something you enjoy and are good at (usually if you enjoy it enough, you WILL be good at it eventually). I guess when I hear "follow your passion" I think of those 1 or 2 things in your life that you love doing as hobbies.
    I'm probably just bitter and jaded at this point but I feel like if I played guitar professionally for example, I'd end up being sick of it and guitar wouldnt be the escape, stress reliever, meditative exercise that it is for me today, it would just be another chore.

Teachiing. Very rewarding, and only 2 years if you have a degree.

Good potential, principal, superintendent, private school administrator, school board.

My wife is a teacher, and loves it.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Originally posted by R154
    Technical sales. Electrical/mechanical. Like a retailer/distributor of industrial/commercial products such as siemens/ge. HVAC companies seem to be busy right now.

I'm in Mech/HVAC sales and it's unreal how little we have slowed in relation to O&G.

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

I'm in Mech/HVAC sales and it's unreal how little we have slowed in relation to O&G.
    My industry is corollary to yours. Commercial building is through the roof. A lot of industrial is now going to Sask and down south. We're still busy. Things are being built. It's only operators and o&g engineering that is slow. Even still I have a couple things on the go for supermajors.

Join me.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by Gestalt
    Teachiing. Very rewarding, and only 2 years if you have a degree.

Good potential, principal, superintendent, private school administrator, school board.

My wife is a teacher, and loves it.
    Did you read his post?

At all?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast