Quantcast
Do you plug your vehicle in the cold? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you plug your vehicle in the cold?

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

For sure good to plug in to keep the block warm. They say only need to plug it in for a few hours instead of the whole night so I think if one has a timer than 4 hours before leaving the house would be good for it to turn on. At my previous workplace they had plug in and of course we plug in for 8+ hours during the day.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Haven't plugged a vehicle in since the 90s
    Last edited by Aleks; 12-09-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Originally posted by roll_over
    Nope, never plug it in.

Beater which I’m driving right now sits outside. I don’t even let the fluids circulate in that bitch. I literally turn it on, throw it in drive immediately
    I'll start mine, let oil pressure build up for a minute and go. Typically, roll down the rear window so it doesn't fog up too bad.

Synthetic oil and cardboard covering half of rad, really high CCR battery.
    Heater steering wheel. 291,000K on it. Starts everytime.

Never have

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I don't typically.

I did last night since the truck seemed to be starting hard, made a big difference. Might start doing it more during more when its cold since I can back into the boat's parking spot and use that outlet.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    '15 Golf GTI, '10 Jetta TDI

I plug the TDI in on a timer, comes on at 3am for my 6am departure. Doesn't need it, but it definitely helps in the morning, both in warm-up time and raising it from it's slumber

I have an AGM battery + synthetic oil and my car starts up no problem in this weather even after sitting overnight. Heated parking or plug-in when possible though is obviously preferable. I warm my car up by driving it gently which lets everything warm up together, not just the motor.

The worst noises I have ever heard from a car have all been from cold starts - probably just belts slipping and such but it just sounds wrong haha.

Originally posted by mr2mike

I'll start mine, let oil pressure build up for a minute and go. Typically, roll down the rear window so it doesn't fog up too bad.

Synthetic oil and cardboard covering half of rad, really high CCR battery.
    Heater steering wheel. 291,000K on it. Starts everytime.
    So I hear waiting for the oil pressure to build stated a lot but based on my knowledge and my pressure gauge readings the oil pressure should fully build within a few seconds shouldn't it? If I remember correctly a few seconds after start I'm showing 50psi or so on cold start.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    The worst noises I have ever heard from a car have all been from cold starts - probably just belts slipping and such but it just sounds wrong haha.
    Have you heard a ford powersteering during very cold start? That is the worst sound

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    FJC, S30

The fj wasn't very happy this morning. The autostart didn't even start the first time. Makes me think if autostart is a good thing in super cold weather.
    Submaker.Illest.

Originally posted by NoPulp

Have you heard a ford powersteering during very cold start? That is the worst sound
    Haha, I have heard some pretty bad "whines" from cold power steering, I would agree it's also a horrible sound.

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
    The fj wasn't very happy this morning. The autostart didn't even start the first time. Makes me think if autostart is a good thing in super cold weather.
    I think they can be OK if you're a car person, but most people who have them just use them to warm up their car to the point of interior vent heat, then blast away without any thought for all the other parts that haven't had a chance to warm up at all. I would imagine that is very hard on a vehicle.

Anyone know if cold starts are still equivalent to 10,000 KM normal engine wear or whatever? Or has synthetic oil and better manufacturing tolerances these days pretty much made it a non-issue? When some people start their cars after a deep-freeze, it sure *sounds* like it's putting 10K wear on it each time haha.

Winter driving is yet another plus of leasing haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-09-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
    Yea below -20 if it's not plugged it I use the key. I find the auto start I have doesn't quite crank long enough to catch the first time. It will take a while to charge the battery back up to where it was before two cold starts.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Personal vehicles are stored in a heated garage but the company vehicle sits in front of the house. Has a block heater but I don't want to leave a cord running across the sidewalk to it.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Truck is usually outside overnight so it get's plugged in anytime it's below -20 but that's about it.

Originally posted by J-hop

So I hear waiting for the oil pressure to build stated a lot but based on my knowledge and my pressure gauge readings the oil pressure should fully build within a few seconds shouldn't it? If I remember correctly a few seconds after start I'm showing 50psi or so on cold start.
    I don't have an oil pressure gauge per se but the oil pressure light comes on at start up and is on for a few seconds in the winter. In the summer, it doesn't even flicker on.
    Oil is pretty solid when it's this cold (even synthetic is slow to move).
    Your few seconds sounds about right. I recall back when I used standard oil, years ago, it would take awhile for the oil pressure gauge to move up to op range.

Also anyone really concerned, the oil pan heater is much better than a block heater.

There's a good youtube video on Oil on the /ENGINEERED channel. Part of the /DRIVE channel. Guy from Redline outlines some good knowledge for everyone.

Ctire has their Noco smart chargers on sale if anyone is interested. Their 0.75 amp charger is on sale for $35. Won't really be powerful enough to charge a car battery but I bought it just to maintain the battery in our car we don't drive more than once a week. Has two attachments, one uses alligator clips and the other uses eyelet connectors that could be permanently attached to the battery terminal connectors.

Managed to freeze a battery this week, too damn cold!

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

0.75A is plenty strong for an overnight charge or for use in a storage situation. Have heard good things about the noco smart chargers.

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    0.75A is plenty strong for an overnight charge or for use in a storage situation. Have heard good things about the noco smart chargers.
    Agreed, what I meant is if you intend to use it as a battery charger it's probably not what you want, you probably want 2+ amps. Charging a dead battery with 0.75 amps will be no good unless you have the option to leave the car sitting overnight like you said. Going today to pick up another one!

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I've started too. Never used to when I only owned older vehicles but now that I have newer stuff I want to take care of a lot better I plug them in. I use the same timer my Christmas lights are plugged into, so it only comes in for a few hours in the morning

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast