Quantcast
What are people rocking for laptops these days? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What are people rocking for laptops these days?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

XPS 15 in a pretty decent spec is 460 off today for 1899... apparently refreshes are coming but that 460 off is a pretty decent payment for that.

And SP4’s are going for crack money on kijiji right now so I’ll probably sell my surface if I get something new.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

+1 for xps13. I have the first gen of the infinity bezel style from i think 2015 and it's still working great. Bought it from the MS store as they had a really good deal at the time, and also wanted to get Microsoft Complete (extra warranty on par with applecare)

I see you wanted a bigger screen so maybe the new xps15 will work for you? Being the infinity bezel, you get quite a big screen even if it's only a 15" laptop

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

13 is definitely not an option since that’s barely bigger than my surface. If I could make 13” work I would probabaly buy a MacBook Pro, the issue with Apple is they want crack money for the 15”.

15” XPS might be way to go.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

I still rock the Surface Pro 4 for work along with docking station and a DELL U3417w , but I might switch to Surface Book next time.

I use the pen and tablet mode all the time, but using it as a laptop anywhere other than a table is just uncomfortable. Not sure the cost difference would be justified though.

My daughter has the Surface Laptop for school and it's really nice. Touchscreen and high quality. I had to choose between Surface Laptop or a Macbook Pro with the same hardware spec. Surface had touchscreen, was at least as small, and I could upgrade to accidental damage warranty with about $300 in included additional products (mouse, case, Office365 Home) and 10% discount for students (~$1750 all-in). Macbook was $750 more than that, no accidental damage option or accessories, free Beats headphones (~$300 MSRP) for students but no discount overall...it was an easy decision.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I just find 3 grand a tough pill to swallow for a 15 inch laptop that I’m going to run windows on anyways.

I agree that MacBooks are great (notably I had mine for 8 years no issues but I was already done with my surface after a year) I just think they are a ripoff. I really want one but I’m trying to be more reasonable.
    I feel ya. I thought about that as well. However, then I just thought about how often I was going through laptop's in the pre-Mac era and figured it was worth it. If this new laptop even lasts me half the time as the first one which did for almost 10 years, I'd be happy with it. I will consider it worth it.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 04-19-2018 at 11:27 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm still using my mid-2012(?) MacBook Pro. I'm gonna be so sad when it dies cause it's the last model you could actually pop open and swap in components. One of the memory slots died on me a few months back so now I'm running at half capacity of what it was before.

I love macOS but this will probably be the last computer I buy from Apple cause their hardware is always outdated and a ripoff. And with Apple potentially dropping Intel in favour for their own processor design, I think Hackintosh days are numbered too.

My Ride
    rally pig

Always wanted an XPS13 but work has given me an HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2 and pretty happy with it. Do not miss the Surface Pro 4 at all.

i7 7600U, 16GB RAM, 2-in-1 mode, 512GB SSD

the CPU fan died on me after almost a year, HP repaired it within 2 business days.
    Last edited by taemo; 04-19-2018 at 03:04 PM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Asus Zenbook Pro

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Oh, and I have an Asus C201 Chromebook for traveling.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Another XPS 13 here. Mine's a first generation one and I still love it. The carbon fiber and aluminium is a great look and everything works pretty well. I can't see replacing it with anything until it's dead.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

+1000 for XPS 13.

Bought the 9360 earlier this year and it's be phenomenal.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Found a dell coupon for another 150 off

$150OFF$1700PC

Think I might order an xps tonight

fact.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    +1 for xps13. I have the first gen of the infinity bezel style from i think 2015 and it's still working great. Bought it from the MS store as they had a really good deal at the time, and also wanted to get Microsoft Complete (extra warranty on par with applecare)

I see you wanted a bigger screen so maybe the new xps15 will work for you? Being the infinity bezel, you get quite a big screen even if it's only a 15" laptop
    I had one of these as well and they are great. But I wouldn't trade my new Thinkpad back for it for any reason. As a design n the Thinkpad is pretty corporate. But as a tool it runs rings around the xps.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I'll weigh in for the XPS13 crowd as well. I bought a 9365 last fall to replace my physical notebooks, so I bought the pen with it as well, and I really wish I had bought one sooner. The only thing I skipped on was the 1 TB SSD, since 500 is plenty for me. And when comparing it to the similar surface pro, or surface book, the Dell was way cheaper.

+1 for the XPS - unless I really needed gaming for my laptop, it's what I would buy again. There are 120/144hz IPS Asus and MSI 15/17" gaming laptops out now with 1070s that perform about the same as the higher ram 1060 desktop cards, but their battery life is beyond terrible, right out of the box. The Razer isn't a bad compromise for gaming/work, depending on the model of Razer you get, but I'd still get the XPS and buy a gaming desktop, and just not game when I'm on my laptop. The non touch XPS 13 is on sale for about 15% off right now, $1600 instead of $1870. Best option, easily, comes with Office 365 if you want that as well, the touch variant is a lot more $, but still worth it, no more than a decent 1070 gaming laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    For work I use a T450. It is a POS. Never heard anything good about these from any one. The whole company uses Thinkpad and every single one complains.
    Strange, I've been using T series for about 10 years and love them.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just ordered the XPS 15, all in price with taxes and fees $1,838.75. Total $720 off MSRP.

Quad core i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB Ram expandable to 32, 1080P screen, 97Whr battery, GTX1050 4GB. I think that's a reasonable deal even if it is being refreshed next month. Kind of want a dock and a monitor for it, maybe by 2020 I can justify splurging on that ( this would make a great addition to the cheapness thread)

Might try to see if I can claim against some contract work I just picked up?

Also came with a year of Office 365 I don't need. Might see if I can save that for when my school subscription runs out.

fact.

I picked up the XPS13 about a month ago, simply amazing. Very impressed with the power and the quality of the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Might try to see if I can claim against some contract work I just picked up?
    Absolutely you can claim it. Technically computer equipment should be depreciated, but for a laptop, some people would just consider that a "non durable item" and claim it as a straight expense.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Absolutely you can claim it. Technically computer equipment should be depreciated, but for a laptop, some people would just consider that a "non durable item" and claim it as a straight expense.
    Sweet

fact.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast