Quantcast
What are people rocking for laptops these days? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What are people rocking for laptops these days?

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Running two MBPs, my main is the latest (prior to touch) model, with 1TB flash drive, 16gb ram, etc. etc.

Running bootcamp on it w/ windows 10. It works much better than my previous laptops that were running bootcamp w/ windows. I'm hoping that Microsoft will come out with a 15" surface book options and I can make a complete transition back to a windows based machine.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The more and more I look the closer I get to landing on an XPS 15. I think whenever they come out with the Kaby Lake and pascal refresh I will make the jump.

A lot of things to like about that machine, plenty of power, good form factor, build quality, price. I really really like the msi gs63 as well but I think the 3-4 hours of optimistic battery life isn't going to cut it for me. At the end of the day the extra graphics juice doesn't mean much if the machine can't meet my needs for untethered use.

Apparently dell already made an oops and a kaby lake gtx 1050 XPS 15 showed up in the online store a couple weeks back. So hopefully I can make the jump in the short term.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by killramos
    The more and more I look the closer I get to landing on an XPS 15. I think whenever they come out with the Kaby Lake and pascal refresh I will make the jump.

A lot of things to like about that machine, plenty of power, good form factor, build quality, price. I really really like the msi gs63 as well but I think the 3-4 hours of optimistic battery life isn't going to cut it for me. At the end of the day the extra graphics juice doesn't mean much if the machine can't meet my needs for untethered use.

Apparently dell already made an oops and a kaby lake gtx 1050 XPS 15 showed up in the online store a couple weeks back. So hopefully I can make the jump in the short term.
    Dell are being assholes right now by continuing to push inferior Maxwell chips onto people because they most likely got an amazing deal on a bunch of outdated GPU chips. That is the only reason they would put Maxwell into their Alienware Alpha refresh when Pascal would have been the obvious choice. It's just a scam right now to sell a bunch of outdated junk. Never settle.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^The new Alienware laptops have 1060's and 1070's? I just can't handle the form factor and the complete level of unprofessionalism associated with them.

The new unreleased 9560 seems like a package I can get behind if the prices are right.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

I'm looking to 10nm for the last big purchase into computer chips.

After that, its pretty much assumed that ultra-inexpensive silicon will have to be replaced with literally rarer than gold materials like germanium. And after decades of using silicon who knows what that is going to cost.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Originally posted by killramos
    ^The new Alienware laptops have 1060's and 1070's? I just can't handle the form factor and the complete level of unprofessionalism associated with them.

The new unreleased 9560 seems like a package I can get behind if the prices are right.
    I was referring to the Alpha specifically. Alienware laptops, like MSI are just too loud when gaming. Gamers going 8-10 hours/day on MMOs are not going to deal with loud/obnoxious harrier jet sounding systems. Asus has always had the quietest gaming laptops ever since the G73

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

I have an older Dell XPS 1640, does anyone else run into thottling issues with Dells?

My old Dell Inspiron laptop was the same, and when i look at the forums, everyone always talks about dell laptops throttling.

For my XPS i use a app called Throttlestop where it stops the throttling and i have to use a external laptop fan otherwise it will overheat and shut it self down.

Anyone with more recent dell laptops run into this?

I am looking at the MSI laptops as well, anyone know if they have any of these issues?

I have Gen 2 X1 Carbon - No complains aside from the speaker quality sucks.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Soooo Post CES bump

Dell XPS 15 9560 has been released

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-15-9560...15-9560-laptop

15" 1080p Screen

16GB DDR4

i7-7700HQ - Kaby Lake Refresh

GTX 1050 4GB

97 Whr battery

512 GB SSD

$2,200 list

Any reason not to like this one?

On a side note any way to get student or education discounts on Dells aside from buying them through the M$ store?

Edit: Looks like the coupon 10%OFFXPS is still valid... Fuck thats a pretty nice computer for under 2k...
    Last edited by killramos; 01-10-2017 at 07:10 PM.

fact.

The XPS' are consistently reviewed as some of the best laptops. Pretty safe choice. Nothing wrong with those specs. The only thing I would check is if that screen is matte or not if you're someone who doesn't like glossy screens.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-11-2017 at 12:15 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The specs I posted are correct for the model I want, if you click next at the top of the chart there is a second 2200 dollar model with 1080P , 97Whr, 16GB ram, 512 GB HDD etc.

Basically that 4k screen is $$$ and I don't even want it.

The chart only shows 4 models at a time

Anyways decisions decisions, I always like a new toy

fact.

My Ride
    rally pig

my sister has the XPS 13 with high res screen for work and holy that laptop is small, I so WANT it

rocking an HP Elitebook 840 G3 that work has provided me so no longer in the market of a laptop at the moment, otherwise I would also go with the XPS 13

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by taemo
    my sister has the XPS 13 with high res screen for work and holy that laptop is small, I so WANT it

rocking an HP Elitebook 840 G3 that work has provided me so no longer in the market of a laptop at the moment, otherwise I would also go with the XPS 13
    They have a new 2 in 1 XPS 13 with a built in digitizer for pen input.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    The XPS' are consistently reviewed as some of the best laptops. Pretty safe choice. Nothing wrong with those specs. The only thing I would check is if that screen is matte or not if you're someone who doesn't like glossy screens.
    Top model with the big battery only comes with the 4K touch screen, so it's glossy. Big battery puts battery life on par with the 1080p version which is iirc 12 hours but not sure what kind of load they ran for that test

Originally posted by b_t

Top model with the big battery only comes with the 4K touch screen, so it's glossy. Big battery puts battery life on par with the 1080p version which is iirc 12 hours but not sure what kind of load they ran for that test
    If you scroll to the right, you'll see more combinations and you can get the big battery with more RAM and 1080P for the $2199. I made the same mistake when I first looked at it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea its that 4k screen which really fucks things up,its pretty damn expensive. Thing is i didn't even like my Hi Res screen on my surface so 1080P is PLENTY for me ( my last 15 was 1440x900 which was just fine ).

I have found that the number of apps that really take good advantage of scaling are few and far between. More trouble than its worth.

Apple retina is an exception as I think the OS does a bajillion times better job than windows.

fact.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Thought I’d bump.

Never ended up buying something before but really starting to want something with a bigger screen.

Am I crazy for looking at the Razer Blade Pro 17” 1060?

Thin, 17”, plenty of capability (gaming isn’t primary focus), current on sale for 2,300 CAD which seems like a reasonable package.

I am worried about reliability, Amazon in particular is crazy negative on feedback for the blade and they sound like death traps. But the machine is pretty well reviewed. Not sure what to believe and lots of people on here are more in touch with the pulse of the tech industry than me.

Usage would be as a main computer/desktop replacement/school games aren’t primary focus but I always like overspecing my computers for the sake of longevity. I drive to and from school so it really just needs to be transportable rather than a thin and light, I already carry textbooks around as is.

TIA
    Last edited by killramos; 04-18-2018 at 09:44 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    This and that.

After 9 years with my MacBook Pro, when it finally started giving me major issues a couple months ago, I just picked up a new MacBook Pro with one of those touch bars. It worked for me for a long time and figured why divert myself from that. After going through 2-3 windows laptops back in the day within a year each prior to owning the MacBook for this long, I decided to stick with what I know works.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I just find 3 grand a tough pill to swallow for a 15 inch laptop that I’m going to run windows on anyways.

I agree that MacBooks are great (notably I had mine for 8 years no issues but I was already done with my surface after a year) I just think they are a ripoff. I really want one but I’m trying to be more reasonable.

fact.

My Ride
    95B

Around Christmas time I bought a Dell XPS15 with 4K display and I am really happy with it. So far no issues at all.
    I expected it to be lighter than what it is but overall it is really good.
    Now that the 1TB SSD's have comedown in price I am going to upgrade the HD to a 1TB Samsung 960 Pro.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast