Quantcast
Cost to convert garage into a living space - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cost to convert garage into a living space

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Default Cost to convert garage into a living space

Family members in Vancouver looking to convert a two car garage into a living space. The garage is decent sized and if the decision is to go forth will have a bedroom and a washroom. They have received some quotes from contractors in Vancouver. I want to hear what experience folks here might think it might cost in. I assume the cost is higher in Vancouver.

Scenario is for my mom who is 77 to move in with my sister, her husband, and two kids 3 years and 8 months old. Mom will help out with the kids as my sister is on mat leave and her husband is working near Bellingham and commutes daily.
    My mom is in Richmond and my sister in Whiterock. Right now she goes to my sister's place during the week and goes to her apartment on the weekend.

Is it worthwhile to convert the garage to living space? How does it affect resale value? Do you get your $ back or would it add very little to the prices of house, or even devalue the home because of lack of garage?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I would think it would devalue the home in the long run. Although, finding another Asian family to buy it might turn it into a selling feature

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Depends on which neighbourhood in Richmond - if older area then a detached garage might be good to make into a room but if its a new, upper class area it would probably detract from the appeal of the home as luxury vehicles end up out in the rain.

Also in the area around #5 road, its mainly East Indians and they love to have 20 people living in the same roof, so more bedrooms the better.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

House would be in White Rock, a couple blocks from the hospital. It is attached.

Not sure the rules in Vancouver but here you legally need two spots to park for each household. So for some places converting a garage would not be legal or approved.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by macman64
    Not sure the rules in Vancouver but here you legally need two spots to park for each household. So for some places converting a garage would not be legal or approved.
    Source?

I can't imagine every home in Calgary has 2 parking spots. Think of all the tiny starter homes in the dirty south. No driveway, no garage... does that just mean the street parking for 2 cars would count?

If that's the case, this is a non issue. Pretty much any house has frontage wide enough to park a couple cars.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

so all my neighbours with kids, who decided to fence in there back yards right to the alley aren't legal? I mean they back there 2 trucks out front but should I narc on them? Since they can't use the space in front of there house?

Really want to see the link to the by law on this one.

You said household...how does that work for condos then? most 2 bedrooms only come with 1 parking spot.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

That area is technically "South Surrey" haha .... but it is a much older area and should not detract from home value as long as the suite is done well. Parking on the street appears quite typical.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Ok back to cost? Basement can be done for $40k. Plumbing and heating go the garage might be difficult. The quote received was ridiculous.
    Last edited by bigbadboss101; 12-10-2016 at 03:12 PM.

My Ride
    KTM

Would it not just be similar to the cost of a basement reno? There might be some additional cost with the plumbing?

I know a guy who has done this(without a bathroom)- seems like moving to a bigger house would be similar in cost but if you like your neighborhood etc and don't need the garage maybe its worth it. Pretty sure the guy I know is running a separate heater in the garage.

**EDIT-looks like we were on the same train of thought with a basement reno. I think a basic basement reno would be 40k, I know people who have spent double. Could be a larger space though.
    Last edited by craigcd; 12-10-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Originally posted by ryder_23

so all my neighbours with kids, who decided to fence in there back yards right to the alley aren't legal? I mean they back there 2 trucks out front but should I narc on them? Since they can't use the space in front of there house?

Really want to see the link to the by law on this one.

You said household...how does that work for condos then? most 2 bedrooms only come with 1 parking spot.
    That is correct. The rules are different by area etc.

http://lub.calgary.ca/Part6/Division...l_Land_Use.htm

Section 558 (3) speaks to this. For Area 1, so anything but inner city you need:

(a) in Area 1 of the "Parking Areas Map”, as illustrated on Map 7:

(i) for each Dwelling Unit and Live Work Unit is 1.25 stalls for resident parking;

(ii) for each Dwelling Unit is 0.15 visitor parking stalls per unit; and

(iii) for each Live Work Unit is 0.5 visitor parking stalls per unit;

This talks about how the rounding works on fractional parking: http://lub.calgary.ca/Part3/Division...ing_Stalls.htm

Essentially you have to round up for resident parking stalls.

From what I can tell this is still dependant on the zoning and approval so I would assume a developer could have this overridden. I am trying to find something that is a little more black and white.

[B]

That is correct. The rules are different by area etc.

http://lub.calgary.ca/Part6/Division...l_Land_Use.htm

Section 558 (3) speaks to this. For Area 1, so anything but inner city you need:

This talks about how the rounding works on fractional parking: http://lub.calgary.ca/Part3/Division...ing_Stalls.htm
    http://lub.calgary.ca

Looks like it is per zoning with the one I linked being the normal minimum. Here is the requirement for R-1N:
    [QUOTE]Motor Vehicle Parking Stalls
    473 The minimum number of motor vehicle parking stalls is 2.0 stalls for a Single Detached Dwelling located on a parcel with a parcel width less than 9.0 metres.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Anyways, no one really touched on the price of the reno work. The quote they received was over $80k. This would be to construct a room, a washroom. Plumbing, heating, electricity, flooring etc. A few quotes were received. Seems like not enough people who want to take on 'small' jobs.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

you also have to consider its vancouver, they have a different cost of living than we do here.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    Anyways, no one really touched on the price of the reno work. The quote they received was over $80k. This would be to construct a room, a washroom. Plumbing, heating, electricity, flooring etc. A few quotes were received. Seems like not enough people who want to take on 'small' jobs.
    1) The area has so much construction going on, price is inflated.

2) I'm wonder for basement out there, you need to run a dehumidifier to avoid molds.

For your original idea, it's a laneway house. Vancouver allows it as long as it's zoned properly. Not sure about White Rock.