Quantcast
sound system for the main level - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: sound system for the main level

My Ride
    14frs,06Tacoma,69Olds Vista Cruiser, 73VWwestfalia

Default sound system for the main level

I'm having trouble finding a good system for the living room/ kitchen area. There's no TV on that level. I just want something to play songs from the iPod. Bass is very important. I was thinking a set up with a couple speakers and a sub, then two more speakers maybe Bluetoothed to the other side of the room.
    I could spend$4-5 or I could spend up to$1500.
    Thanks

You could get whatever amp, speakers, & sub you want and then add a Chromecast Audio. I doubt you would need more than a 2.1 system for lots of quality sound in that space. In fact 2.1 will probably sound better than having 4 speakers if they cancel each other out at all, and running cable will be far less annoying.

Gibby's has some pretty good deals right now depending on what you want but just as one example I think a set of Paradigm Millenia One's would be very hard to beat for performance/value, appearance, and WAF (if applicable) for what you're after. They are also CNC machined out of aluminium which is cool.

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....lleniaone-2-0/

You would normally need a huge sub for a room like that but if you just want to add some bottom end to a set of speakers you can do with much less. You could do a Monitor Sub 8 (compatible with wireless too if that helps) and PBK it which makes an enormous difference:

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....monitor-sub-8/

You could go with a Millenia Sub as well if you wanted something to go under a couch or whatever.

I have this exact combo and at least to my ears I've yet to hear something that can beat it for the price for a living room / kitchen / computer room, etc. speaker system. Check out some independent reviews as well if you like the idea.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...73ffMfqbB7P.97

If you prefer the look and much larger size of a traditional bookshelf speaker, your options are almost endless for great speakers.

The other thing you could do is a save a lot of money and just get a good Bluetooth Speaker like a B&W Zepplin or JBL Xtreme - they can fill a room that size no problem with sound but aren't going to have earth shattering bass. If bass is very important you pretty much have to buy a dedicated sub, and you will need to buy a huge sub for that room if you want HT-like bass. If you want quality bass, then a calibrated/room corrected sub is also going to be very important.

SONOS. Bluetooth is always a hit or miss if using more than one iPhone. My current battle.

My Ride

Thanks for the advice so far.
    Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical on Sonos.

My Ride

http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/au...ponents/hap-s1

So I went with the HAP-S1 Sony high resolution audio player. I paired it with the klipsch RP 160M.
    I'll have to load it with files and hook it up and let you know how it sounds.