Quantcast
Will you go back to oil and gas? - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Will you return to oil and gas if the market improves?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 52.53%
  • No

30 30.30%
  • It depends on _________

17 17.17%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you go back to oil and gas?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:55 PM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by ickyflex
    There is a difference between having a difference of opinion and throwing shade on shit you don't know about and being a hypocritical idiot in the process
    I learned what throwing shade meant last week.

/cool story bro
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Originally posted by Darkane

I learned what throwing shade meant last week.

/cool story bro
    Im not up on the latest lgbt slang... What does this have to do with the topic. I'm so lost.

www.throwingshade.com

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hey for those of you unemployed or underemployed, I've noticed a huge increase in job postings in the three weeks. if you aren't getting daily emails from your favourite careers search engine, get on it. I like Indeed, but I suspect there are other good ones. I have three that email me once per day, and I'm seeing about one per day that fit my skills, including one today.

Keep your eyes and ears open everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Definitely picking up, sustained prices above $50/barrel through winter time is actually really good considering gasoline usage is basically at yearly lows.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I'm back fracin, bonus structure is terrible but its work

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by theken
    I'm back fracin, bonus structure is terrible but its work
    Word is all the pumping guys (frac and cement) are relatively busy these days. Yes, I'm sure overall compensation is greatly reduced, that's what all those press released from producers about "sustainable structural cost reductions" are about.

My Ride
    X5

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Hey for those of you unemployed or underemployed, I've noticed a huge increase in job postings in the three weeks. if you aren't getting daily emails from your favourite careers search engine, get on it. I like Indeed, but I suspect there are other good ones. I have three that email me once per day, and I'm seeing about one per day that fit my skills, including one today.

Keep your eyes and ears open everyone.
    Which career search engines do you use other than indeed?

Word is all the pumping guys (frac and cement) are relatively busy these days. Yes, I'm sure overall compensation is greatly reduced, that's what all those press released from producers about "sustainable structural cost reductions" are about.
    This is very true. There is a HUGE demand on pumping services right now. We are having trouble keeping up due to lack of manpower.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

and heaven help you if your supply chain department negotiated some insane discount a few months ago and now you want to pump one small job. You'll be scheduled months from now.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Marsh

Which career search engines do you use other than indeed?
    Indeed is all I use. I do have multiple searches set up to make sure I catch all the likely keywords. I do see a lot of irrelevant jobs in the daily emails, but it takes me less than twenty seconds to scroll through and figure out if I need to investigate further.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

One of the reasons people will likely reconsider coming back is nicely explained in this article today.

Originally posted by National Post - December 27, 2016
    Lessons from the oil shock: Avoid mass firings, lavish towers and backroom deals
    (excerpt)
    First, about those mass firings. The industry’s human resources practices are crying out for serious reform. It’s estimated some 100,000 people were (metaphorically) executed, their careers left in shambles. Many of them were professionals working in Calgary’s head offices.

Did it have to be that brutal? Some companies such as Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. weathered the downturn by keeping their teams and reducing salaries across the board. Others such as Imperial Oil Ltd. kept headcount tight in good times to avoid downsizing in bad times. But the majority switched almost overnight from aggressive hiring – remember those lavish paycheques, bonuses and golden Fridays? – to pushing thousands of people out the door.
    Some of those responsible for the firings even ended up with pay increases. The practice validated perceptions that the oilpatch is old, vicious and dirty, and the damage will stick.

“The downturn and resulting layoffs across the industry threaten to damage the industry’s brand as a career destination,” John England, Deloitte vice-chairman and U.S. Energy & Resources leader, wrote in a recent report on his outlook for 2017.
    “As a large number of senior employees head toward retirement, companies should find ways to transfer this wealth of knowledge to the next generation of employees. When thinking about potential constraints on the recovery of the industry, we should view people as equally, if not more, critical to capital.”

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I wouldn't even call it relatively busy, pumping services are CRAZY busy right now. Most companies are riding 95% + utilization in frac and cement. Producers are trying to do as much now as they were when pumping companies were at full force. Most service companies are < 50% of what they once were and the demand right now is huge. I expect the brakes to pump hard at the begining of Q2 then pick up immediately the first day of Q3 like last year.

Originally posted by vengie

This is very true. There is a HUGE demand on pumping services right now. We are having trouble keeping up due to lack of manpower.
    Us to. There just aren't as many people in the industry anymore. Everything from frac, to transport drivers, to vac truck operators are short on man power

and heaven help you if your supply chain department negotiated some insane discount a few months ago and now you want to pump one small job. You'll be scheduled months from now.
    Supply chain really shot themselves in the foot I think. The high paying/high volume guys are waiting 3+ weeks for any work, any regular Joe is easily 1.5 months before they can get on the schedule board let alone if they actually can stick to that day.

I've found it interesting the clauses some supply chain has tried to sneak into contracts. I recently had one where they tried to write into the contract that services had to be supplied with 14 days of request otherwise we had to pay for someone else to complete the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Also fascinating that supply chain jobs seem to be picking up too. I've seen more postings for that than engineering roles.

My Ride
    AECO

Word is all the pumping guys (frac and cement) are relatively busy these days. Yes, I'm sure overall compensation is greatly reduced, that's what all those press released from producers about &quot;sustainable structural cost reductions&quot; are about.
    Went to a career fair with my Class 1 and they were offering around $150/day entry level + whatever the performance bonus was going to be.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by stillworking

Went to a career fair with my Class 1 and they were offering around $150/day entry level + whatever the performance bonus was going to be.
    Better be one heck of a performance bonus...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by spikerS

Why? Unskilled labor in this province have out of wack expecations. They ripped companies off in the good times and squandered the money acting like they were millionaires and can't accept that the market rate for unskilled labor will likely never be the same. I say good riddens, don't come back to O&G. Field wages need a reset with a new talent pool who don't expect $200k to show up and breathe.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by spikerS

Do you know how trucking works?

That $150/day is basically salary. The real pay comes directly from the "bonus" pay. Some are per job/load, others are per hour in the field.

One buddy of mine gets ~$200/day, but if he works a 14 or 16 hour day (pretty common), add another $400 onto that. (Used to be more)

Beyond Baller cash? No. But it gets to six figures prettt quick if there is work throughout the whole year.

While I agree with the sentiments of unskilled labor, please go do a trade properly and get back to me. You frame a house straight, or drive a semi in 8" of mud down a hill as another truck is coming up it taking too much of the road. Those are skilled labour jobs, and compared to some desk jockey that jerks off at a computer all day, they deserve good compensation (note I am a desk jockey that jerks off all day, cant believe how much I get paid for such non-demanding work).

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Do you know how trucking works?

That $150/day is basically salary. The real pay comes directly from the &quot;bonus&quot; pay. Some are per job/load, others are per hour in the field.

One buddy of mine gets ~$200/day, but if he works a 14 or 16 hour day (pretty common), add another $400 onto that. (Used to be more)

Beyond Baller cash? No. But it gets to six figures prettt quick if there is work throughout the whole year.

While I agree with the sentiments of unskilled labor, please go do a trade properly and get back to me. You frame a house straight, or drive a semi in 8&quot; of mud down a hill as another truck is coming up it taking too much of the road. Those are skilled labour jobs, and compared to some desk jockey that jerks off at a computer all day, they deserve good compensation (note I am a desk jockey that jerks off all day, cant believe how much I get paid for such non-demanding work).

Spikers was a trucker.

As for your comments about desk jockeying. I believe you when you say what you do is non demanding and a jerk session all day. I bet all sorts of people ejaculate on you forehead while you sit there trying to figure out why it keeps getting in your eyes. Fuckin gravity, right? Something about fruits and a forehead. Nevermind.

Bottom line, not all of us have jobs that aren't challenging or important.

I'm confident that what you are capable of, an orange could replace you with no noticeable change to work flow or competency.

What I, and several other beyonders that "sit at a desk all day" do while in that position keep your lights on, water pure and gas in your shit box. Don't let your myopia color our world. Just because you're useless doesn't mean we are.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by R154

Spikers was a trucker.

As for your comments about desk jockeying. I believe you when you say what you do is non demanding and a jerk session all day. I bet all sorts of people ejaculate on you forehead while you sit there trying to figure out why it keeps getting in your eyes. Fuckin gravity, right? Something about fruits and a forehead. Nevermind.

Bottom line, not all of us have jobs that aren't challenging or important.

I'm confident that what you are capable of, an orange could replace you with no noticeable change to work flow or competency.

What I, and several other beyonders that &quot;sit at a desk all day&quot; do while in that position keep your lights on, water pure and gas in your shit box. Don't let your myopia color our world. Just because you're useless doesn't mean we are.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast