Quantcast
Will you go back to oil and gas? - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Will you return to oil and gas if the market improves?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 52.53%
  • No

30 30.30%
  • It depends on _________

17 17.17%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you go back to oil and gas?

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Edit-
    If it makes you feel any better, this is pretty gay too

Oh absolutely.

As much as I relish the opportunity to tell strange women to stop and pose for me in line, I restrained myself with extreme prejudice. Better yet, maybe I should have taken a page from your single life and snuck in a shot to look at later while I inhale 711 pizza and wait for my gaming friends to come online. What conversations do you "hypothetically" have with your pillow partner(s)?

Heaven forbid I don't stack up against your virtues, my fiancée might think less of me.

Really living up to your potential, I see. Dork.

Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ lolwut
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Wre-heh-heh-heeeecked.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by killramos
    ^ lolwut
    most of this thread is lolwut
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

^no kidding. Pretty funny how defensive people get.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

And here I was just having fun. Man, must be that time of the month for some people

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

A+ thread, would read again.

For me, I liked my time in Oil and Gas and found the industry interesting. Where I go next will be whatever industry is interesting, has opportunities for my career growth, and can put my skills to use doing something that matters. I'm not going to jump ship from a good job in another industry to run back there, nor will I purposely stay away like some folks who can't handle the boom/bust nature.

Originally posted by Minimalist
    I left O&G years ago, as it became rather obvious I was not one for the industry and the dirty politics of oil. Never will I return to selling my soul on an hourly basis.
    Well, I only spent 5 years in Oil and Gas and while I didn't like or agree with everything I saw, it seemed to me like the industry and people were generally trying to do things better all the time, and I personally helped put in a bunch of initiatives to make the resource extraction safer and greener, such as an advanced pipeline leak detection system. Instead of running away from the industry, you can help make things better AND make some good money, imagine that.

Relocation to BC fairly soon, my next vehicles will be electric, hybrid or a combination of the two. The house will be modest by Calgary standards with heating and cooling costs a 20th of my current place.
    Will the electricity for your electric car be generated by hopes and dreams? You'd better check in to the overall carbon footprint of producing those new electric cars too. Will you heat with exclusively geothermal powered by solar? No? Well then make sure you realize that the O&G industry is necessary for your survival when you call out people working in the industry as "selling your soul on an hourly basis". The industry I know is a bunch of regular folks doing their best to feed their families and extract the resources you use every hour of every day in a responsible manner.

been too green for the wasteful pro-oil types my entire adult life. You get it or you don't.
    And I'm not entirely sure you get it. I care about the earth, and find myself more aware as I get older, but I realize that fossil fuels are a necessity at this time. If you want to make a difference, buying a Prius and being smug about the industry that keeps you alive isn't doing anything but making you feel good about yourself.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

YO, did anyone of you play on MSN Gaming Zone back in the day? Memba ZoneMessages? lolol.

My Ride
    2016 BMW X5D, 2017 Acura RDX

Originally posted by Darkane

Enlighten me on how your heating and cooling costs will be 1/20th of the current?

Are you including the initial cost of (assuming) solar panels or geothermal or whatever else you plan to do?
    He will live in his Prius.

Still in O&G
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Not sure why some of guys feel the need to bash others with offensive name calling such as fags, etc . I feel that’s unnecessarily rude and uncivilized.
    Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Worst response ever, plenty of fags have wives. You should most certainly ask your wife if she knows your gay, it might help a lot of the imaginable marriage problems you guys have

Edit-
    If it makes you feel any better, this is pretty gay too

My Ride
    Silverado

Up in GP right now. Things are busy. Lots of equipment leaving town. People here seem to have a positive outlook for next year.

Originally posted by riander5

Will you rip some greasy farts and smell all your smug too?

Make sure you electricity is from dams and not dirty coal or gas.

Also make sure your bike has a wood from from ethicaly harvested wood and your tires are made from... uhh... pelts??

Just make sure it feels right man. Right on

Edit - mobile spelling mistakes
    I respect your opinion no matter the negativity, respecting mine too much to ask? Your way or the highway?
    Last edited by Minimalist; 12-15-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Originally posted by Darkane

Enlighten me on how your heating and cooling costs will be 1/20th of the current?

Are you including the initial cost of (assuming) solar panels or geothermal or whatever else you plan to do?
    Warmer climate.

Straw bale, Geothermal, solar and/or wind. All or a some of this. Straw bale is a certainty. Have toured a few Earthships in New Mexico, interesting alternative when done right. I've done the math. 1,500 square foot house, just like people managed to live in until the 1980's.

I'm currently pissing away $300 a month on energy bills in Calgary.
    Last edited by Minimalist; 12-15-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Originally posted by carson blocks
    A+ thread, would read again.

For me, I liked my time in Oil and Gas and found the industry interesting. Where I go next will be whatever industry is interesting, has opportunities for my career growth, and can put my skills to use doing something that matters. I'm not going to jump ship from a good job in another industry to run back there, nor will I purposely stay away like some folks who can't handle the boom/bust nature.

Well, I only spent 5 years in Oil and Gas and while I didn't like or agree with everything I saw, it seemed to me like the industry and people were generally trying to do things better all the time, and I personally helped put in a bunch of initiatives to make the resource extraction safer and greener, such as an advanced pipeline leak detection system. Instead of running away from the industry, you can help make things better AND make some good money, imagine that.

Will the electricity for your electric car be generated by hopes and dreams? You'd better check in to the overall carbon footprint of producing those new electric cars too. Will you heat with exclusively geothermal powered by solar? No? Well then make sure you realize that the O&G industry is necessary for your survival when you call out people working in the industry as "selling your soul on an hourly basis". The industry I know is a bunch of regular folks doing their best to feed their families and extract the resources you use every hour of every day in a responsible manner.

And I'm not entirely sure you get it. I care about the earth, and find myself more aware as I get older, but I realize that fossil fuels are a necessity at this time. If you want to make a difference, buying a Prius and being smug about the industry that keeps you alive isn't doing anything but making you feel good about yourself.
    You live your life, I live mine. Why the need for all the hate on this board for a thought differing from your own? Everything I said applies to me and is not a hit on others. Not sure how you read into it all and needed to get defensive with the name calling and lecturing as I agree oil is needed. Wasting oil is another conversation.

You drive an F150 and need it as you haul around more than a bag of hockey equipment daily. I respect all that. I drive something else, uses half the fuel, so what? Would you respect me and my personal opinion if I were more like you? Is there a number system or do we line up for the lessons? If I drove a BMW or Audi am I a bad person? A GM or RAM am I branded? Oh no, am I a vegan? Pineapple on my pizza? Shit, I like classical music? Prefer cloth seats in my vehicles over leather? Use studded tires in mild winter Calgary? Own only Apple products? Yet I feel I might switch to Windows and a Samsung phone any week now as the product appears better. I dislike driving a manual car in the city and wish I had an automatic. You gotta hate most of that, serious boxes being checked? Final nail... I hate Budweiser beer.

I'll get over it, somehow. So will you.
    Last edited by Minimalist; 12-15-2016 at 10:10 PM.

There is a difference between having a difference of opinion and throwing shade on shit you don't know about and being a hypocritical idiot in the process

You live your life, I live mine. Why the need for all the hate on this board for a thought differing from your own? Everything I said applies to me and is not a hit on others. Not sure how you read into it all and needed to get defensive with the name calling and lecturing as I agree oil is needed. Wasting oil is another conversation.

You drive an F150 and need it as you haul around more than a bag of hockey equipment daily. I respect all that. I drive something else, uses half the fuel, so what? Would you respect me and my personal opinion if I were more like you? Is there a number system or do we line up for the lessons? If I drove a BMW or Audi am I a bad person? A GM or RAM am I branded? Oh no, am I a vegan? Pineapple on my pizza? Shit, I like classical music? Prefer cloth seats in my vehicles over leather? Use studded tires in mild winter Calgary? Own only Apple products? Yet I feel I might switch to Windows and a Samsung phone any week now as the product appears better. I dislike driving a manual car in the city and wish I had an automatic. You gotta hate most of that, serious boxes being checked? Final nail... I hate Budweiser beer.

I'll get over it, somehow. So will you.
    Shit, I'm ticking off most things on that list. bmw, gm (and had a ram right before that), pineapple, classical a-ok, cloth seats ARE more logical, studded tires (well not this year), apple products (phone and work, but i do have a pc at home), dislike driving a manual in stop and go traffic and made sure I have an automatic for DDing, dislike bud.

Vegan though? hell no

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I think in a lot of cases, people tend to like what they're doing if they know what they're doing.

I find a lot of people who work in oil and gas don't necessarily have the knowledge or skills to do their job properly. This can result in additional stress, and overall a lack of enthusiasm about the job and future in general. And if you're not really good at the role you're in now, you're likely too scared to ask questions you should know already and it hinders your performance even more. Working in O&G for most of my career, this is my perspective and although you do see people with a lot of potential and not afraid to learn, there is a lot on the other end of the spectrum. This part turns me off on a regular basis because those are mainly the people I have to deal with.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by zhao

Shit, I'm ticking off most things on that list. bmw, gm (and had a ram right before that), pineapple, classical a-ok, cloth seats ARE more logical, studded tires (well not this year), apple products (phone and work, but i do have a pc at home), dislike driving a manual in stop and go traffic and made sure I have an automatic for DDing, dislike bud.

Vegan though? hell no
    Well of course you tick most of the boxes, that's why you are so easy to hate

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    I think in a lot of cases, people tend to like what they're doing if they know what they're doing.

I find a lot of people who work in oil and gas don't necessarily have the knowledge or skills to do their job properly. This can result in additional stress, and overall a lack of enthusiasm about the job and future in general. And if you're not really good at the role you're in now, you're likely too scared to ask questions you should know already and it hinders your performance even more. Working in O&G for most of my career, this is my perspective and although you do see people with a lot of potential and not afraid to learn, there is a lot on the other end of the spectrum. This part turns me off on a regular basis because those are mainly the people I have to deal with.
    Yup. Truth.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast