Quantcast
Dunkirk - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dunkirk

Default Dunkirk

Can't go wrong with Christopher Nolan.

My Ride
    Grimace

Saw this last night in imax. Incredible film. A++ would watch again.

My Ride
    ute

Enjoyed it. Well, I admired it more than I liked it. Not a perfect film...an interesting film though.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Enjoyed it. Well, I admired it more than I liked it. Not a perfect film...an interesting film though.
    I'd have to agree with this. As a big WW1 WW2 geek i was super excited for it. Film was very well done but it just bounced around a bit too much. The feats accomplished were amazing but how Nolan captured it was different than what i was expecting. Still a great movie though.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by civic_stylez View Post
    I'd have to agree with this. As a big WW1 WW2 geek i was super excited for it. Film was very well done but it just bounced around a bit too much. The feats accomplished were amazing but how Nolan captured it was different than what i was expecting. Still a great movie though.
    I thought the three intertwined stories were pretty cool once I figured out what was happening.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Visually stunning. Pacing using the inception style time scale is different. It's good that it repeat scenes at different point of views. But it does give some elements away using this method.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Is it like Vantage Point in WW2?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I liked it.

My gf fell asleep half way through it! Hard to believe she could because the audio was just cranked in our theatre. She then woke back up about 15 mins later and continued watching like she knew what was going on.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

It was ok but I thought it could have been better, I don't really understand why all the critics are raving about it. I saw it on opening day and thought there would be a huge backlash from first viewers, like what happened to "It Comes at Night", but was surprised it didn't really happen. It didn't do a great enough job promoting the urgency and suspense with organizing and executing an escape of that size, the only tension was really the constant ticking sound in the background. I didn't feel they did a good job of portraying scale either, as a result the "miraculous" part of the event and the true feat that was accomplished was lost. It felt like instead of 400,000 men trapped and trying to escape you had maybe a Division, it felt like the RAF would only fly a squadron per day over Dunkirk harbour instead of the 300+ sorties a day and the Germans would send a couple of Stuka's twice a day to bomb instead of the thousands to tens of thousands of bombs dropped daily. Maybe Nolan wanted to limit CG use in the movie but I think in this case it really would have helped the impact of the movie. You would think at the minimum, use it to emphasis the amount of ships used in the operation. Even at the end you had what looked like 50 civilian ships instead of the almost 1000 used.

I know Nolan can only fit so much in a movie, but he should have developed a French perspective to show their side of the battle. They played a huge role and it felt like they were marginalized greatly, but I guess it's from a British perspective so what can you do. Still if your movie is going to marginalize aspects of the real event and just use the event as a setting for a story, don't name the movie after the event then and people's expectations won't be set improperly.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

You must be a lot of fun to watch movies with..

I thought it was good, the tension throughout was great, but I feel like there must be a desired decibel level from the directors that they're missing at the theatre. Never thought I'd want to bring ear plugs (though with the music overlaying the speaking so much that may not have worked)

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    You must be a lot of fun to watch movies with..

I thought it was good, the tension throughout was great, but I feel like there must be a desired decibel level from the directors that they're missing at the theatre. Never thought I'd want to bring ear plugs (though with the music overlaying the speaking so much that may not have worked)
    Sounds mixing is the weak point. I thought it's my theater but reading other reviews, nobody can hear dialogue over the music and background noise.