Quantcast
If you could live anywhere in Canada... - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: If you could live anywhere in Canada...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by A790

?

I work entirely online. I have no reason to stay here. The weather sure isn't much of a draw... lol.
    Nor are the winters out east

You'll have to come up to the lake though in the summer

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by ercchry
    Nor are the winters out east

You'll have to come up to the lake though in the summer
    I've lived in southern Ontario before. The winters aren't anything new to me.

And they're predictable. You know when spring starts, when summer starts, fall, etc. I'd take that over the circus in Calgary any day.

Originally posted by kertejud2
    At least Invermere only gets the douchebags from Calgary, Kelowna gets them from Calgary and Vancouver. Perfect storm of shit.

this is a legitimate concern for me. Is Kelowna really full of privileged rich white wannabe gangstas?

for the people that say okanagan valley but NOT Kelowna, do you have something specific in mind? Vernon? Penticton? somewhere in between?
    I like the idea of being near Kelowna for the amenities but outside where it's more peaceful, like Summerland or Peachland... isn't Penticton a gong show basically all summer? I've only been once and it was mistakenly during a massive music festival and it was a nightmare.

Originally posted by kertejud2
    At least Invermere only gets the douchebags from Calgary, Kelowna gets them from Calgary and Vancouver. Perfect storm of shit.

I hate that the song isn't that bad haha

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by timdog

this is a legitimate concern for me. Is Kelowna really full of privileged rich white wannabe gangstas?

for the people that say okanagan valley but NOT Kelowna, do you have something specific in mind? Vernon? Penticton? somewhere in between?
    I like the idea of being near Kelowna for the amenities but outside where it's more peaceful, like Summerland or Peachland... isn't Penticton a gong show basically all summer? I've only been once and it was mistakenly during a massive music festival and it was a nightmare.
    For me the big drawback with Kelowna is the traffic. It can be a nightmare getting around, if you have to use the bridge it can take forever. It is better now with the new bridge but still not great. Yes, there are some d bags, but you can find that anywhere. I would prefer Penticton or Vernon area, both are not far from Kelowna if you want a big larger city feel. Penticton is really only busy over the August long weekend.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Why does that entire music video have chicks who are a six or lower? Buncha threes in there too.
    Not impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Why does that entire music video have chicks who are a six or lower? Buncha threes in there too.
    Not impressed.
    Because those guys are a 2-3

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Not impressed.
    There was one that was okay. Bad selection for a music video, but realistic music video for the local side of Kelowna IMO

I didn't find Kelowna that bad for traffic? Better than calgary, worse than Lethbridge.
    I liked Pen and osoyoos

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Penticton area. Can't be beat. Two amazing lakes, and the weather is phenomenal.

Kelowna traffic is nothing. There are just a few areas here and there you might get snagged. Nothing compared to Calgary, or worse yet, Vancouver.

I went to penticton in september for a wedding and made a trip out of it with wine tours, etc. loved the area.

It gets worse or does it? I feel hairnets (bring 'em back) could increase the toughness of these 'Pegster wannabes. Should I be in a coma, this and the KKKelownaposer tracks will have me awake and running out the hospital front door in minutes.

Kelowna's traffic is nothing.

Penticton's weather is better than Kelowna's.

Basically anywhere you can grow peaches consistency will have very good weather as those plants are wimps.

My Ride
    is broken

Montreal, Quebec. So much good food.... And since we are linking relevant rap videos.

My Ride
    party car

I live in Kelowna, moved here from calgary in 2009. You get all sorts of people around here in the summer because of tourist season, but if you generally keep away from downtown you can avoid most of the douchebaggery.

My suggestion is to check out Lake Country (aka Winfield) it's a smaller community just outside of Kelowna to the north (much like Airdrie is to calgary) it's got decent housing prices and most of the amenities there without the mass tourists of Kelowna. You won't have to deal with bridge traffic like if you were to live on the West side.

I really enjoy it here, i have had the opportunity to move back to Calgary this year, but decided to stay in Kelowna. It's such a great place to live with an amazing lifestyle and so much to do.

Hope this helps!
    I like things with wheels.

Last edited by blindsight; 03-08-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Originally posted by reiRei

I live in Kelowna, moved here from calgary in 2009. You get all sorts of people around here in the summer because of tourist season, but if you generally keep away from downtown you can avoid most of the douchebaggery.

My suggestion is to check out Lake Country (aka Winfield) it's a smaller community just outside of Kelowna to the north (much like Airdrie is to calgary) it's got decent housing prices and most of the amenities there without the mass tourists of Kelowna. You won't have to deal with bridge traffic like if you were to live on the West side.

I really enjoy it here, i have had the opportunity to move back to Calgary this year, but decided to stay in Kelowna. It's such a great place to live with an amazing lifestyle and so much to do.

Hope this helps!
    Cool thanks. I think I've been to Lake Country, isnt there where the Kangaroo Farm is? that's literally all I saw so I didnt actually see the town itself. I like the idea that it is between Vernon and Kelowna and close to everything, but quiet. and you have like 3 or 4 good lakes within 30 minutes or less

My Ride
    party car

Cool thanks. I think I've been to Lake Country, isnt there where the Kangaroo Farm is? that's literally all I saw so I didnt actually see the town itself. I like the idea that it is between Vernon and Kelowna and close to everything, but quiet. and you have like 3 or 4 good lakes within 30 minutes or less

Yup, that's exactly Lake Country! I think it's a really nice central place if you wanted to live in a bit of a quieter community
    I like things with wheels.

I'm from bc so i'm a bit biased, but if job was no factor, here is what i'd consider.

Richmond: I love the quasi small town feel that is easy to get around in, with an amazing chinese/japanese resturant per block. I briefly lived there and that's my go to place to stay when I go back to Vancouver. It's also very easy to get into vancouver by driving (ok technically it sucks, but its better then getting to van from anywhere else pretty much) and definitely by the skytrain now, which is why I wouldn't consider poco or new west or any of those areas. I wouldn't want to live in vancouver proper either because it's too busy, too hipster, and well obviously pretty expensive. The downside is it is very hard to get into nature from; you're looking at an hour+ drive in any direction to hit forest.

Victoria: It's a sleepy town with nature very close and looks very nice. I'm really only familiar with oak bay in detail though because that is where I have family. The downside is it is on the island and the ferry is rape, plus people there are a bit different. For example I always found it odd that mom and pop stores seem to do well there and chains dont really work. I was always boggled by how they barely had any fast food restaurants in the city whereas kelowna had a bazillion

Kelowna: I grew up here, it's about as small a town as I want to live in. It has literally almost everything you need that a big city has, and vancouver is very close. What sucks is I bet tourism in summer is going to make you hate summer there until you learn where the locals go for activities, beaches, roads to use, etc, then it's no biggie. The big perk here is you are minutes from nature almost no matter where you live and it is a great climate. summers are hot as hell, but honestly 45 in kelowna feels more like 30 in alberta; one of my first jobs I used to work outside all day in up to 40 degrees (40 was the cap, then we had to go home), and then in winters I always just wore a rain jacket because it was warm enough except for the odd day. Winters clouds fill in the valley though so it is gloomy most of winter, but it's usually sunny on the ski hills from what I remember, I remember by march there were times we'd literally be skiing in jeans and a shirt and you'd randomly get a kid in school coming in with sun burn from being up at big white or silverstar all weekend. We'd usually be outside for PE into november, and back out again in march.

Growing up I would literally walk out my back door and be into the edge of the city. same with one of my friend's houses. We'd just trek off into no where, and honestly a lot of the city is within walking distance from one thing that is awesome, like a beach, nature park, downtown, or the edge of the city and that is pretty awesome. You can not survive without a car though. This is a city where you can walk to literally one thing, and need to drive everywhere else.

Halifax: i'd consider here too just because NS is so damn cheap, and a nice city as well. to me the downside is that there is literally no big city near it, so you are very isolated in your own little world.

good info. being from NS I can appreciate the beauty of Halifax, the Anapolis valley, etc, but I just think the winters are too brutal for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3