Quantcast
Engineering into CFA - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Engineering into CFA

Originally posted by killramos

You want his name?

He works in our finance department, crazy smart dude.

He definitely has all three levels, and he definitely doesn't have a bachelors degree. Not sure entirely what his background is before here but hes ~30?

There's only one way to be certain he isn't pulling the wool over your eyes.... https://www.cfainstitute.org/communi...aspx#section-1

You can definitely do your CFA without a degree, as per the CFA Institute's website....

To enroll in the CFA Program and register for your first Level I exam, you must have:

One of the following:

Undergraduate education: A bachelor's (or equivalent) degree or be in the final year of your bachelor's degree program (when you register for the Level II exam, you will be required to update your education information), or

Work experience: Four years of professional work experience (does not have to be investment related), or

A combination of professional work experience and education that totals at least four years (part-time positions do not qualify, and the four-year total must be accrued prior to enrollment).

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

To become a Charterholder: Have four years of qualified work experience in investment decision making.
    At least four years (48 months) of experience in: Evaluating or applying financial, economic, and/or statistical data as part of the investment decision-making process involving securities or similar investments (e.g., publicly traded and privately placed stocks, bonds, and mortgages and their derivatives; commodity-based derivatives and mutual funds; and other investment assets, such as real estate and commodities, if these are held as part of a diversified, securities-oriented investment portfolio). Supervising, directly or indirectly, persons who practice these activities. Teaching such activities.

My Ride

oops

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Yup he's on there, never said i didn't believe him I was just trying to give an example to OP. Getting 4 years of experience in that doesn't seem too out there, but OP has a degree so its not really relevant.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E46 M3

I'm on a similar path. Engineer for 3 years, landed a job as a market analyst at a trade shop. Networked to get the job, no CFA.

My Ride
    TL

I've been working as an Mechanical EIT within the pipeline industry (O&G) for 3ish years doing Project Management and Project Estimating and I've always been more interested in the financial aspects of how a company operates rather than how a facility was built. I enjoy both, but working at a major pipeline company, the most engaging part was the energy trading aspect between different lines.

I really don't know many people with CFA. What careers do you non-engineers have?
    Last edited by dandia89; 12-18-2016 at 12:46 AM.

My Ride
    X5

As a finance guy, I'll shed some light on this. Especially in calgary, most of the Ibanking and Equity Research, corp banking is focused on o&G. The last two years have seen ALOT of downsizing on this side (keep in mind, Ibanks here only have 7-8 people on average) and ER teams with similar numbers. The path from engineer to ER used to be a well made one, but recently given the shitty environment here, almost no finance firm or bank is adding headcount. The only postings/openings are rare, and are usually just replacing someone who has left.

Finance is one of the most difficult areas to break into in good times. Given how shitty things are in Calgary, and keep in mind finance has very lean teams to begin with (just a few people, never seen more than 10), bringing in a unknown/experienced person is a huge commitment for them.

If your serious about it, networking is key. But its a tough nut to crack, its not something your going to get your feet in a couple weeks...expect months if not up to and over a year to break in.

Not sure about energy trading, haven't kept up with that area much lately.

My Ride
    TL

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I romanticized the idea that I could switch over easily. Might be a passive transition until then. From the networking I've done in person, since I made this post, people have mostly said it's an uphill battle and I should just stick to engineering, which is a little frustrating.

My Ride
    X5

Originally posted by dandia89
    Thanks for the responses. Maybe I romanticized the idea that I could switch over easily. Might be a passive transition until then. From the networking I've done in person, since I made this post, people have mostly said it's an uphill battle and I should just stick to engineering, which is a little frustrating.
    It is a competitive field to get into. But if you are seriously interested in it, its definitely worth pursuing. If it was more of just "engg is flat now, look for something else" then it may not be the best way to go. Only you can decide that though.

My Ride

Don't be discouraged. If you are serious and passionate about it, worry about passing the exams first. That's what stops most people.

Non-engineer here. I am a janitor who solves marth problems while engineers look down on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
    Don't be discouraged. If you are serious and passionate about it, worry about passing the exams first. That's what stops most people.
    Exactly this. If you're genuinely interested in the switch, CFA is a good way to start making the transition and will be good for networking as well if you make a point of interacting with others pursuing it.

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Exactly this. If you're genuinely interested in the switch, CFA is a good way to start making the transition and will be good for networking as well if you make a point of interacting with others pursuing it.
    It's of limited use in these circumstances.

My Ride
    TL

thanks a lot everyone!

My Ride
    '04 E46 330ci ZHP

I have the CFA designation and I agree with most of the advice given already. Buster has clearly outlined the pros and cons and highlighted where the designation makes sense. If you want to get into the industry sure the CFA would help but it's likely overkill to start out with.

Getting the designation is no walk in the park so I would suggest doing research on what area of finance you want to be in before dedicating 1000+ hours of study into something that may not be necessary to get to where you'd like to be.

My Ride
    '04 E46 330ci ZHP

Originally posted by Buster
    For some reason, the CFA has gained a reputation as a "door opener". It's not really what it is meant to do. The CFA is a designation for people who have or are pursuing a finance career in a much narrower range than is appreciated. Outside of that, it's utility is limited, and the information isn't really "skill" based as much as just a ton of stuff you need to know.

Also, a CFA requires relevant work experience, and often benefits people who are on a particular career path and are being sponsored to do it. In short, the CFA is meant for people who are already dedicated and on a career path to be a portfolio manager, or otherwise involved in investment decisions on an institutional level. It's utility beyond that, while not absent, drops off significantly.

Also, saying "finance industry" is a bit general. Is a retail teller at a bank in "finance"? Do you want to work in the capital markets? In commercial banking? Corporate banking? Do you want to be in accounting or work for the valuations department of KPMG/MNP/EY etc?

If personal investing is your thing, do you want to go get your CSC or go work for a wealth management/ wealth advisory?

This whole CFA thing is so tired.
    This is bang on

Originally posted by Buster

It's of limited use in these circumstances.
    Why do ya say? I used it for exactly this reason (bridging into pure finance roles from a related but not directly comparable field) and it was very helpful.

I'd like to bring this thread back from the dead.

Did OP do the CFA? Did you make the transition into "finance" ?

It seems many people were against engineers doing the CFA, do you still feel this way with the current economy?

thanks!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I feel like it’s economy agnostic. CFA is more useful for making a transition on a new career path than opening doors in a current position.

Having 2 careers is definitely better than 1 for a shady economic future.

Biggest question to ask yourself is do you love finance? If so I’m sure you will love the CFA.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    FB6

I’m one of those engineers who realized they love finance, I’m writing Level III next June.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    I’m one of those engineers who realized they love finance, I’m writing Level III next June.
    What career path did you take

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast