Quantcast
No passport, where in CAN to go for XMAS/NYE break - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No passport, where in CAN to go for XMAS/NYE break

My Ride

Question No passport, where in CAN to go for XMAS/NYE break

So despite being reminded regularly, I waited until it is too late to get my passport renewed in time and now have an angry significant other. We have money put aside, time off(23rd - 3rd) off and I can't leave the country.

Would appreciate any suggestions of where to go for a Canadian vacation without breaking the bank. I have never done a trip to Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver but I feel it might be too last minute and a lot more $$$ than our original plan of an last minute all inclusive in Mexico (flights east are all ~$1K alone).

Ideas? Other places to consider? Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

You can apply for next day passports. Costs more obviously but can be done. I have done it before.

urgent pick-up (by the end of the next business day): CAN$110
    express pick-up within 2-9 business days: CAN$50

My Ride

I was told I needed proof of a reason for urgent pick-up which I did not have. I have applied already for the express pickup but was told they close their offices on the 23rd so it might not come in time.

My Ride
    TDi

Lol, not a good thing to brag about, but I received a passport in less than 3 hours before

Was going to Vegas and realized my passport was expired the night before (after midnight) and then drove in the morning at 5am all the way to Edmonton. Got back at 2ish with a brand spankin' new passport for my 4pm flight.

Anything is possible! I had to go to Edmonton because I chose to forget during the time we had floods in Calgary and over the Canada day long weekend.

I always check my passport before I book now
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    This and that.

Anywhere you fly now, it will be ridiculously expensive.

In January of this year, the wife and I flew to Miami for something like $1200 all in. And we are going to Miami again in a couple of days, except, the flights were $2500 this time for the two of us.

I think your best bet might be a road trip somewhere. If you have enough days, Vancouver can be done in 11 hours. I would take a road to trip to BC, get on the island and drive through the entire place. We did that several years ago and it was awesome but we did have family we visited on the way. If you're into winter sports then Whistler and stuff is an obvious destination.

Just book flights that you can cancel somewhere you wanna go. Then take your itinerary and get a passport.

If for some reason you can't then cancel the flights.

My Ride

I am sorry I should add I went to the Harry Hays and submitted my rush passport this morning. They needed proof for the urgent one, and I didn't have anything with me, nor a good sob story. I was told they close the offices on the 23rd so its possible that my passport will not be ready in time. I am supposed to call in and follow up if I don't hear back in two days.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If you're stuck in Canada I'd look at doing a road trip through the rockys. Spend a day or two in Banff then tour up to Jasper and back.

Or if you're into skiing/snowboarding you could do a fun loop of hills and resorts? Fernie, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Kimberly, etc.

You could easily go to one, hit the slopes for a day or two, drive the 2-3hrs to the next resort, hit that hill, and so on and do a loop.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Originally posted by 403ep3
    Lol, not a good thing to brag about, but I received a passport in less than 3 hours before

Was going to Vegas and realized my passport was expired the night before (after midnight) and then drove in the morning at 5am all the way to Edmonton. Got back at 2ish with a brand spankin' new passport for my 4pm flight.

Anything is possible! I had to go to Edmonton because I chose to forget during the time we had floods in Calgary and over the Canada day long weekend.

I always check my passport before I book now
    +1, I've done the same to make a friend's wedding in the US. We'd just moved and on the morning of our departure, I couldn't find my passport... Or birth certificate. At Harry Hays at 7AM, had to wait for the passport photo office to open, had to wait for the registry to open to apply for a new BC, somehow had my passport by 1pm and made a 3:30 flight... Not recommended, but what a strange sense of accomplishment

My Ride
    TDi

Originally posted by you&me

+1, I've done the same to make a friend's wedding in the US. We'd just moved and on the morning of our departure, I couldn't find my passport... Or birth certificate. At Harry Hays at 7AM, had to wait for the passport photo office to open, had to wait for the registry to open to apply for a new BC, somehow had my passport by 1pm and made a 3:30 flight... Not recommended, but what a strange sense of accomplishment
    hah at least you didn't have to drive for 6 hours. I brag about it sometimes, but the wife wasn't happy
    GO FLAMES GO!

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Originally posted by 403ep3

hah at least you didn't have to drive for 6 hours. I brag about it sometimes, but the wife wasn't happy
    Why did you have to drive to Edmonton?

My Ride

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Just book flights that you can cancel somewhere you wanna go. Then take your itinerary and get a passport.

If for some reason you can't then cancel the flights.
    Just received a follow up call from passport office...It looks like they can do it, but need proof of travel. Problem with that is all the last minute all inclusive deals are non refundable/no cancellations.

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Anywhere you fly now, it will be ridiculously expensive.
    In his defense it isn't like you were going to get a better price any other time in the year.

There are NEVER seat sales for the Christmas/NYE holiday season.

Originally posted by 5hift

Just received a follow up call from passport office...It looks like they can do it, but need proof of travel. Problem with that is all the last minute all inclusive deals are non refundable/no cancellations.
    So? You just got confirmation you will have your passport...

My Ride

Originally posted by lasimmon

So? You just got confirmation you will have your passport...
    It SHOULD be processed by the 23rd, if I provide proof of a trip by Weds. Problem is that the trips we were looking at are non refundable/cant back out, and the passport isn't guaranteed to come. Could buy a $2K trip only for the passport be get held up.

I've heard Air Canada lets you cancel within 24 hours - and that I could book anything, provide proof of a trip and then cancel it. Then when I have my actual passport in hand to go buy a last minute vacation package. Anyone tried something like this?

I haven't heard of anyone showing travel plans and not getting their passport in time.

You can literally get one in hours if needed.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Use a travel agent

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

Do you have a credit card with trip cancellation insurance?

Most Visa Infinite or World Elite MasterCard's have it, same with Gold or higher AmEx. If you aren't sure, call the number on the back of your CC and ask them what is covered, if you have to cancel a trip due to no passport/loss of passport/expired passport and find out if that is covered. If so, no big deal. If you don't have it, you can buy it (never had to, not sure what it would cost):
    Trip Cancellation Insurance

Before buying the insurance or booking a trip, confirm that no passport would constitute as a reason to invoke the cancellation insurance. I assume no responsibility for any loss of funds or lack of reimbursement.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by 5hift

It SHOULD be processed by the 23rd, if I provide proof of a trip by Weds. Problem is that the trips we were looking at are non refundable/cant back out, and the passport isn't guaranteed to come. Could buy a $2K trip only for the passport be get held up.

I've heard Air Canada lets you cancel within 24 hours - and that I could book anything, provide proof of a trip and then cancel it. Then when I have my actual passport in hand to go buy a last minute vacation package. Anyone tried something like this?
    Thats if you do it by Wednesday. Book something today and then go down today and submit it all.

Air Canada has free 24 hour cancellation of flights. Book a flight right now for Vegas (usually the cheapest), go to the office, show the paperwork and submit everything, then come home and cancel the flight tonight.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Air Canada has free 24 hour cancellation of flights. Book a flight right now for Vegas (usually the cheapest), go to the office, show the paperwork and submit everything, then come home and cancel the flight tonight.
    This. Or to be safe (if you need more than 24 hours) buy a full fare/fully refundable ticket and cancel before flight. Sure you're locking some funds up for a bit, but you will get it all back. Don't buy it from a US airline though, especially if they charge on USD because exchange rate will kill you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast