Quantcast
Cycle Track Made Permanent - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycle Track Made Permanent

I'm 50/50 that the bike dude on this forum is Agustin Louro, the president of the Calgary Bike club or directly involved with the project and working for the COC.

Originally posted by kertejud2
    I've said it before, that it can't possibly matter as much as the drivers have been whining about if they didn't do anything.

Again, it was a shaky 8-7 that was based around making the track network smaller vote that managed to turn into a 10-4 vote without changes when the data was presented and councilors dealt with their constituents. Despite affecting 'over 95% of traffic negatively' these councilors apparently care more about ideology (in some cases that they didn't even have the first time) than re-election. I guess we have some pretty unique politicians in this city (or very few that plan on running again).
    I said my beef was with people who supported this infrastructure out of ideology regardless of how poorly it's implemented. I didn't say anything about Councillors disregarding the opinion of the voting populace in favour of an ideology

I think the bike lobby and cycletrack supporters were extremely vocal. I also think vehicle operators were not, as you suggested. I think this has to do with the "it's a done deal" mentality. You said cyclists and the track supporters felt this was anything but a done deal, so they got out and organized and became very vocal. As I mentioned I think motorists felt the writing was on the wall and took a "what's the point" position.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

i seen cyclists with a gasoline motor attached to their bikes in the bike lane. so it sort of seems like a lane for hybrid vehicles.

Originally posted by thetransporter
    i seen cyclists with a gasoline motor attached to their bikes in the bike lane. so it sort of seems like a lane for hybrid vehicles.
    I've seen a homeless guy pushing one shopping cart while pulling another in the Northland Drive cycle lanes
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I said my beef was with people who supported this infrastructure out of ideology regardless of how poorly it's implemented. I didn't say anything about Councillors disregarding the opinion of the voting populace in favour of an ideology
    Why would councilors pick ideology over the will of the voting populace?

My Ride
    Silverado

Have you looked at the province lately

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Originally posted by J-hop

Yes it's fine if you drive it every day and have memorized which lane jogs, which lane turns into a left turn only and at what time. But the one or two people in your group of traffic that don't know end up snarling the rest of traffic making for a really inefficient route.

When you design efficient roads you need to go in with the mindset that every driver is driving the road for the first time and make decisions and signage based on this idea NOT with the mindset that people will eventually get it.

I drive that road every couple of weeks, I know which lane to be in and when. But every time I drive it I just shake my head. If it's your first time driving it and snow is covering the lane markings it will be an absolute nightmare.

At least in the short term this has definitely caused a negative environmental impact...
    Traffic Expert has spoken.

Why would councilors pick ideology over the will of the voting populace?
    They wouldn't, certainly not in an election year. Did I claim otherwise
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 12-21-2016 at 09:17 AM.
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

That's crap 12th is a cluster fuck every morning. Between the random lane jogs, the random parked cars which drop the road to a single lane and the fact that turning left is sketch as fuck in and out of driveways due to parked cars/trucks next to the cycle track being taller than cyclists...

I live on 12th and bike downtown it's such a epic shit show of fail. Whole thing should have been scrapped and moved to either 10th or 13th. Instead we got this half assed retard solution.
    ^^ Funny how the only people who say it isn't bad don't actually live there.

They wouldn't, certainly not in an election year. Did I claim otherwise
    Why else would you think the cycle track was a 'done deal' when it was implemented?

On a related note, people will be happy to know that a lot of the $1.6M will go to tweaking 12th Ave. They would have made changes sooner but because of the uncertainty of the future of the track it was decided to not spend any money on continued changes in the latter half of the project.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

I've seen a homeless guy pushing one shopping cart while pulling another in the Northland Drive cycle lanes
    best post.
    i can imagine the faces of residents

Why else would you think the cycle track was a 'done deal' when it was implemented?
    Why do you think other people viewed it as a done deal?
    Originally posted by thetransporter
    best post.
    i can imagine the faces of residents
    There isn't a whole lot of residents down that stretch, couple of schools and a church. Out of all the cycle infrastructure that stretch might be the most useless in the whole city, I've also seen an older Asian man pushing a child stroller full of cans and bottles.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 12-21-2016 at 05:05 PM.
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I spent 1/2 an hour fixing my bike on the Northland Drive bike lane and didn't block anyone. My old review:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/northlan...41#post4456541

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    ^^ Funny how the only people who say it isn't bad don't actually live there.
    I don't live there and it's terrible. Since the bike lanes, I haven't really frequented any businesses south of 9th Ave. Coupled with the 8th street underpass construction, the terrible light timing of intersections that hits cycle tracks, it was just too inconvenient to drive to/from that side of downtown.

We've pretty much moved all our lunches to Chinatown or Kensington, which says a lot considering how shitty both areas are in terms of traffic and parking. Bitching hasn't worked. Letters hasn't worked. Twitter hasn't worked. It's a done deal and we're getting ignored like Trump supporters. Only other thing to do is just to adjust, move away, and vote elsewhere with our money. Northland Mall? I haven't been there since they added the concrete barriers separating the cars. Is that Best Buy still alive?

One thing I couldn't get away from is how busy 9th and 10th Ave is in the evening rush hours now that many people stopped using 12th Ave and moved onto these 2 roads. It's not as brutal as 12th Ave, but it certainly has added 5-10 mins of commute time to the Saddledome on game nights. 12th ave to the Dome? You're missing puck drop haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Exploded.

12 Ave past Safeway is a bitch. Hence I turn left before it and go to 10th.

I live on the damn route.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

it took me over 25min to get from bankview to the dome last friday at ~6:30pm using 12th ave... its a complete shitshow

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

That's crap 12th is a cluster fuck every morning. Between the random lane jogs, the random parked cars which drop the road to a single lane and the fact that turning left is sketch as fuck in and out of driveways due to parked cars/trucks next to the cycle track being taller than cyclists...

I live on 12th and bike downtown it's such a epic shit show of fail. Whole thing should have been scrapped and moved to either 10th or 13th. Instead we got this half assed retard solution.
    No, I just know how to drive and look further ahead than what is right in front of me.

Why do you think other people viewed it as a done deal?
    Because it was more appealing to think it was a done deal so they could continue to bitch and whine without having to do anything about it (because they're lazy, I guess)?

There's a reason I'm asking you.

There's a reason I'm asking you.
    I know.

It's your standard operating procedure. You play "all around the mulberry bush" answering people's questions with questions until you get to the point you feel you have them in a position where the topic benefits your expertise and not theirs

You're on my ignore list, I figured with the latest news on this topic you might have some insight from the other side of the issue so I read your posts. It quickly turned out to be the same merry-go-round as always. If you have something earth shattering to drop on us that will completely own me just do it already.
    Toma the homophobe?

I know.

It's your standard operating procedure. You play "all around the mulberry bush" answering people's questions with questions until you get to the point you feel you have them in a position where the topic benefits your expertise and not theirs

You're on my ignore list, I figured with the latest news on this topic you might have some insight from the other side of the issue so I read your posts. It quickly turned out to be the same merry-go-round as always. If you have something earth shattering to drop on us that will completely own me just do it already.
    I think he's on a lot of ignore lists. He's been on mine for ages. I occasionally see snippets of comments from other people quoting him and it's the same-old predictable pattern (exactly as you describe). You're wasting your time engaging him, doesn't matter what you say you get the same regurgitated responses.

I know.

Ignore list be damned. I asked the question because I honestly don't know why you would think the cycle track was a done deal when the cycle lobby didn't. You couldn't answer and still haven't.

You did a very good job at explaining that the cycle lobby did what they do after I gave you their perspective, but didn't provide anything beyond that. Particularly to the question I asked.

8-7 vote in a car mad city, a vote that only got to 8 by trimming down what the pilot project would have to win a couple suburban councilors, and the vote to keep it right before an election year.

So again, because you haven't answered it, what did you see that the cycle lobby didn't? Why did you think it was always a done deal? Is the cycle lobby completely off base in their efforts and just wasting energy fighting a battle they won over a year ago?

But I get why you don't like me asking questions. You need to know something, anything, to answer a question.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast