Quantcast
New home build suggestions/recommendations - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: New home build suggestions/recommendations

Originally posted by ?????
    What are some uses for 240V in the garage? I know "if you have to ask..." but it would be nice to have something I may need for the future and if i do get it installed make sure I put it in a good location.
    Garage heater, larger compressors, welder, laundry relocation, or EV charging. Everybody has a different reason.
    ---

Originally posted by Perfect Dark
    I'm looking to see what you guys think of a deal I negotiated with a builder. I thought it was pretty reasonable but I've only ever purchased used so I don't know the new build market well at all. This is in Airdrie btw, I know that plays a pretty big factor price-wise.

Lot is 48'x148' (pie lot, tapers to 32' in the back)
    2800 sq ft house
    9' ceilings on all floors
    23'x34' attached garage
    4 BR upstairs w/ two bonus rooms and 3 baths (en suite + 2 full baths)
    Laminate throughout the main floor, carpet upstairs
    Wrought iron railings
    Expanded mud room and walk through pantry by 2' in width

That's the gist of it, the house already had most of the upgrades we would have wanted as standard. If I sign I'm looking at $600k GST included. Should I be having a certain number put aside for incidentals once we start going through the selection process?

PS - Some great info in here on things I hadn't considered so thanks!
    Once the build gets going you have to go and choose all of the finishing for your house. Paint, trim, flooring, cabinets, etc. With each of these selections you have the opportunity to upgrade from what the builder has given an allowance for to whatever you want. Some of the he bigger areas for upgrade are things like appliances and lighting. Don't forget about landscaping as well. That can add quite a bit depending on what you want to do.

perfect dark- most builders will get buyers to get approval for a higher amount then the cost of the house in case buyers want to do additional upgrades at the design centers.

For example they add a buffer of 10-20k in your paperwork for additional upgrades. If your house was 600k theyd get you to get approval for 620k. This is to make sure the upgrades they do can actually be paid for with the mortgage.

If you dont spend the allowance then great but if you do then they know the bank will fund it...

My Ride
    girl car

Looking for some input on TV placement in living room.

We're pretty TV oriented people - want to be able to watch while doing dishes and etc.

1. Contemplating putting in a conduit so we can mount above fireplace or,

2. Putting TV @ eye level in corner with corner tv stand -BUT it will block a window (24x72"). Stand will be something like this link

3. Putting it on TV stand / mount against the 8' wall. Probably better for living room flow however will not be able to see TV from kitchen.

Thoughts? I'm thinking conduit to above fireplace anyway since it may be good for resale. If we do mount there, I'd probably go for a mount that can be moved down laterally as I believe it'd be too high to watch comfortably.

3d layout
    blueprint

excuse my MSPaint
    Last edited by cream; 01-02-2017 at 03:08 AM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I'm not a huge fan of the tv above the fireplace either but please don't put it in front of the window lol.

Maybe do a wall mount that swings out on the 8' wall?

I vote no on above the fireplace. You'll be limited on tv size if you ever want to upgrade from the 55 and craning your neck to watch will drive you or your guests insane.

How big is the window. We have done exactly as you painted. We have two small windows on either side of out fireplace wall. The one we've partially blocked you would have to be standing very close to the wall to look out so it doesn't block the view and we still get tons of light in

My Ride
    TDi

I ended up placing my tv above the fireplace with a wall mount that pulls out and turns. Size limitations don't matter as any large tv would go in the bonus or in the the basement when I develop it

http://m.costco.ca/Kanto-PDX650-Full...100087861.html
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    girl car

Hmm, I initially planned on a swivel mount on the 8' wall. But I've heard generally for TV mounts, the spot you adjust it is the spot you keep it.

As mentioned above, our bonus room will eventually become 'the' TV room once we can afford a bigger one.

Window is 24"x72". 9ft ceiling height. Window trim begins 1ft below ceiling I believe. I realized, whether it's in the corner or mounted on the 8' wall, that window blind will have to be closed 100% of the time that you're watching TV.

I guess there's an option 4 that would be to keep the main floor clean and put the 55" tv right into the bonus room upstairs from day 1. Part of me believes this is best (because its what showhomes do). But i'd still like to make it my own home.. Hmmm

Thanks for the input guys!

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by cream
    3. Putting it on TV stand / mount against the 8' wall. Probably better for living room flow however will not be able to see TV from kitchen.
    My buddy has an extra TV over their pantry for this reason. Doesn't really serve a purpose to me as it's behind you when you're doing dishes (was put in by previous homeowner)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Pretty nice if you like your home to look like an airport departures lounge.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Been poking around with builders on a 'move up' or ‘move up estate’ (LOL, whatever they call them now) and the builders are hungry.

Such a different process from building a house 4 years ago. These guys will do anything to make a sale. Discounted lots ($40k off), massive amount of upgrade allowance ($30k), referral bonuses ($5k), negotiating of price from the moment we stepped into the show homes and they will modify the plan to basically whatever you want. Great for getting a triple garage haha.

What sort of per ft2 prices are you guys seeing on recent builds? Seems the prices are coming in between $230-$250/ft2.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by gwill

Sky lights are never a good idea so you didnt miss out there.
    Is your concern with skylights potential leaks and/or hail damage? When you have such small side yards (and views of your neighbours siding) its nice to bring natural light in through skylights.

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by cream
    Looking for some input on TV placement in living room.

We're pretty TV oriented people - want to be able to watch while doing dishes and etc.

1. Contemplating putting in a conduit so we can mount above fireplace or,

2. Putting TV @ eye level in corner with corner tv stand -BUT it will block a window (24x72&quot. Stand will be something like this link

Thoughts? I'm thinking conduit to above fireplace anyway since it may be good for resale. If we do mount there, I'd probably go for a mount that can be moved down laterally as I believe it'd be too high to watch comfortably.

3d layout
    blueprint

excuse my MSPaint
    I purposely had my cantilever and built in shelving built for the TV above the fireplace. I can go up to 60" and have a 58" right now.

for me, that's all I will need because when I develop the basement it will be the dedicated theatre. if you want a pic of it I can throw one up.

Originally posted by 88CRX

Is your concern with skylights potential leaks and/or hail damage? When you have such small side yards (and views of your neighbours siding) its nice to bring natural light in through skylights.

We love our skylight in the ensuite. If our builder was more flexible we would've added a pair of skylights in the hallway. I wonder if they would be more open to it now based on your post about them being hungry for sales.
    ---

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by kenny

We love our skylight in the ensuite. If our builder was more flexible we would've added a pair of skylights in the hallway. I wonder if they would be more open to it now based on your post about them being hungry for sales.
    The one builder offered to draft up a site plan and new elevations of our proposed modified triple garage house the first time we went through the showhome. My last build they wouldn’t draft shit all until we have dropped a deposit on the lot and house.

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Been poking around with builders on a 'move up' or ‘move up estate’ (LOL, whatever they call them now) and the builders are hungry.

Which community are you seeing builders offer these lot discounts?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4