Quantcast
TELUS fibre (FTTH) - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: TELUS fibre (FTTH)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where did you track down a UDM Pro? My order has been on backorder for two months now
    Direct from Ubiquity. They have been bouncing in and out of stock all week.

Mines in transit right now.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    WK2

Does anyone know if Telus fibre is coming to Royal Oak? My Shaw agreement is ending in July, and Telus says only 75 is available in my area.
    @spikerS - any insider details?

My Ride
    ute

Telus seems to have gotten a lot more cagey about their rollout plans. I got the mailer and the community sign went up all on the same day I saw their people wandering around and the flag guys coming to decorate my lawn.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Telus seems to have gotten a lot more cagey about their rollout plans. I got the mailer and the community sign went up all on the same day I saw their people wandering around and the flag guys coming to decorate my lawn.
    There used to be a map on telus.com. My guess is the rollout was going slower than planned and they removed the map to manage expectations.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Telus knocked on my door yesterday for approval to run fibre to my house, wonder if they would pay the shaw cancellation charges to move over once it's installed
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by 94CoRd View Post
    Does anyone know if Telus fibre is coming to Royal Oak? My Shaw agreement is ending in July, and Telus says only 75 is available in my area.
    @spikerS - any insider details?
    none, I am not privy to that kind of planned work. I know with Covid and other things, it has seemed to me that some capital projects and upgrades are being delayed or canceled altogether, but again, this is just my gut feeling and I have nothing to back that up with.

My world at TELUS is more the network support side. I mean, I do have contacts in other areas that I talk to on the regular, but really, unless something BIG is broken, I don't normally know about it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    WK2

Thanks for the reply, spikerS. I've had a few Telus sales members over the years come to my door asking about switching, but they haven't been able to say if or when its fibre.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    Where did you track down a UDM Pro? My order has been on backorder for two months now
    Who/where are you ordering from?

As far as us guys who sell UniFi go, there's 44 in Vancouver (with a higher priced distributor), and 62 coming in to Toronto around the 20th.

Keep in mind pricing is skewed right now since this stuff is quoted/sold in USD. Selling UniFi is hard AF right now because the UniFi store and Amazon have local resellers beat...
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Zhariak View Post

As far as us guys who sell UniFi go, there's 44 in Vancouver (with a higher priced distributor), and 62 coming in to Toronto around the 20th.

Keep in mind pricing is skewed right now since this stuff is quoted/sold in USD. Selling UniFi is hard AF right now because the UniFi store and Amazon have local resellers beat...
    You can buy pretty much everything direct from Ubiquity now in CAD with no brokerage fees. Recent development.

Gonna be hella tough for small guys to compete unless they are working in bulk and project based.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You can buy pretty much everything direct from Ubiquity now in CAD with no brokerage fees. Recent development.

Gonna be hella tough for small guys to compete unless they are working in bulk and project based.
    There's no brokerage fees for us either... It's just quoted from USD from Ubi to distribution (distro quotes in CAD to reseller).

Actually, it's super easy to compete and usually always cheaper to buy from a reseller who sells UniFi. Slightly off/on topic, the last couple years I've been noticing a weird trend with IT product where Canadian's think they get cheaper pricing going direct, whereas American's always go through resellers/partners thinking they are getting better pricing.

Two things that do/have caused issues for us:
    -Amazon fire sales where they sell under cost.
    -COVID19 and the Canadian dollar tanking. Ubiquiti (and other vendors) are slow to updating their pricing on their own store to reflect the USD/CAD change, whereas distribution is updated in real-time. Most vendors have updated their online stores to reflect, but there's still some who are slow and haven't.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

There's no brokerage fees for us either... It's just quoted from USD from Ubi to distribution (distro quotes in CAD to reseller).

Actually, it's super easy to compete and usually always cheaper to buy from a reseller who sells UniFi. Slightly off/on topic, the last couple years I've been noticing a weird trend with IT product where Canadian's think they get cheaper pricing going direct, whereas American's always go through resellers/partners thinking they are getting better pricing.

Two things that do/have caused issues for us:
    -Amazon fire sales where they sell under cost.
    -COVID19 and the Canadian dollar tanking. Ubiquiti (and other vendors) are slow to updating their pricing on their own store to reflect the USD/CAD change, whereas distribution is updated in real-time. Most vendors have updated their online stores to reflect, but there's still some who are slow and haven't.
    Haven’t found a single retailer in Canada who can beat unifi direct on their latest stuff, UDM Pro is a great example. 550-600 pricing from retailers plus shipping. Ubiquity 515 shipped.

I’m all for shopping around but direct has been tough to beat since they launched their store in Canada.

fact.

My Ride
    ute

ya, its the shipping that kills the other guys

Was coming from Toronto but I cancelled it and ordered from the Unifi store, has shipped already... from Toronto anyways.

On another note, I heard Telus has been running fiber in a few neighborhoods close by lately... Anyone privy to the logic of their installs?
    Last edited by J-D; 05-13-2020 at 07:54 PM.

My fiber journey is hopefully coming to an end this Saturday. Never in my life has it been harder to give a company my money - especially a telecom company who would be getting a monthly subscriber. God help me if I ever need any post-purchase service from them. Staff has all been super polite, but nothing gets done and the various installation departments obviously don't talk to each other.

Back in very early February, I signed up for the $85/mo + $200 bill credit deal for symmetrical gigabit.

Telus booked me for a site survey, which they no-showed after I stayed home all day waiting for the guy on a Saturday, and when I called them back they told me that the ground is frozen so it's a moot point. After I learned a bit more about how it's done, I told them I can literally see the aerial cable terminals and the ground doesn't matter for my situation. Still, they said I have to wait until Spring and stated frozen ground as the reason. They told me they would put in the drop request. Whatever, maybe there was something they didn't tell me or the rep didn't know.

I wait until April at which point I called them and asked if I could book the install, they said sure and sent a tech out (I have to call them every single time). He arrives and told me the fiber hasn't been pulled from the aerial location yet, and that its a different department so he has to come back. He also told me the drop request was never even put in after all this time, so I would have to wait 2 additional weeks for that to happen. I waited another couple weeks, called again, and Telus told me everything was good to go so they will send a Tech out to fish the fiber. Tech arrives, fiber still has not been dropped from the power lines so he can't do anything.

I eventually got the drop request #, called Telus again, and was told they would call me back with an appointment time. That call never came (surprise), so I called them again and set an appointment for the drop as well as the final installation. The drop request guy no-showed, which subsequently cancelled my home installation date, and they told me the next earliest time I could get it done was now going to be a month later (June at this point).

3 days later, the drop request guy randomly shows up and completes the job. The next day I call Telus, and they tell me the drop isn't done even though I literally watched it happen (the tech told me the completion notice was put in the system as well), so they said they would call me back in 1-2 days with an update. As expected, that call never came, so I called them back and now they can see the job is done. They were also able to re-book me for this weekend for the final install (had I not asked I would still be stuck waiting another Month), so if they actually show up and everything is actually done, I should finally have fiber this weekend.

In contrast, when I first moved in here the Shaw guy showed up early, did the drop from the power lines to my garage roof which was covered in snow/ice (December), did his thing up there like some sort of mountain lion, and I had internet up & running in less than an hour.

The first thing I will do when I get it is upload a giant file, maybe that will make me feel better haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-14-2020 at 12:48 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thats really brutal. I don't blame you for going with Shaw after all that.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Thats really brutal. I don't blame you for going with Shaw after all that.
    I think he still went with Telus lol

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wow, I shouldn't skip the last page of these thriller novels. What a twist!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Haha I did. It's the only way to get gigabit so I don't have any other choice.

When I first moved in back in December I lined up the Shaw install so I would have internet on day 1 and was already a customer. Later in February, when I learned I could get fiber, I started that (4 month long) process. They are supposedly finishing it this weekend, but we'll see if that happens. Sorry for any confusion!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Haha in contrast my fibre install took about 15 minutes in -35 conditions.

fact.

Haha in contrast my fibre install took about 15 minutes in -35 conditions.
    We'll I'm very jealous haha. That is more what I expected, but it turned out to be a huge ordeal. I assumed one guy would come and do everything, but they use one department for the home install, one department for the conduit fishing, an entirely separate third party company to do the drop, and none of them talk to each other lol.

I will update on Saturday...hopefully from my new fiber connection.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast