Quantcast
TELUS fibre (FTTH) - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: TELUS fibre (FTTH)

I asked one of the Telus contractors that were marking everyone's property for line of sight in my hood yesterday for a timeline.....1 month - 2 years Nice to see they have a solid schedule

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been frustrated with Shaw's customer support lately especially with latency problems with their internet. Ping Plotter appears to show quite a bit of packet losses. I occasionally play FPS games (hardcore before lol) and it's quite obvious ingame; of the spikes. I'd like to swap the modem once just to see if it is the problem and they won't even let me do that after a few times I talked to them.

How's Telus customer service for internet? My contract with shaw is almost up and I plan to disconnect my TV service (as we just use streaming services only anyway) and just use internet but I was thinking also to switch to Telus Fibre.
    They were very easy to deal with, and they stay in contact throughout the process via text. The technicians that came to install the internet came right at the end of their arrival window, and apologized for "being late" which was a nice touch, despite still technically being on time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The field guy knows what he's doing, not the overall project schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The field guy knows what he's doing, not the overall project schedule.
    Big difference between infrastructure in the ground and infrastructure hooked up to something.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

TELUS tech that hooked up my temp house with DSL said FTTH is supposed to be in every home in Alberta by 2025. Seems optimistic.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    TELUS tech that hooked up my temp house with DSL said FTTH is supposed to be in every home in Alberta by 2025. Seems optimistic.
    Maybe they mean Calgary and Edmonton lol
    Last edited by killramos; 07-08-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Thanks for the feedback.

I think since we are just so dependent on streaming services now, having no TV service makes sense and changing to Telus by the end of the year (end of contract with Shaw) makes sense. They also have pretty good promotions. I can just get sportsnet now service; it's still cheaper getting all streaming services in the long run.

We don't really use our landline either since we all have cellphones (even my 6 year old has a flip phone for emergencies lol).
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Guyz where can I sign up for dialup? AOL? Netscape?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    Guyz where can I sign up for dialup? AOL? Netscape?
    Nucleus.

https://www.nucleus.com/services/int...l-up-internet/

Call the access number for some sweet nostalgia.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Axis powers

I remember our dialup was limited to 100MB/m, mom would get so mad when we would go over
    Sig nuked by mod.

It's super irritating that Telus doesn't release even tidbits of info about when they will roll out fiber in different neighborhoods, might have to lock in for another 2 years with Shaw but I will be grumpy if Telus rolls in during that time

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    It's super irritating that Telus doesn't release even tidbits of info about when they will roll out fiber in different neighborhoods, might have to lock in for another 2 years with Shaw but I will be grumpy if Telus rolls in during that time
    Just pay the penalty to get out.

It's only $15/mo to cancel Shaw, so get what works for you today and if Fiber becomes available before the end of your contract just cancel it and switch.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Some people have been able to get Telus to give them a credit that would cover any Shaw early termination fees, at least according to a thread on Red Flag Deals.

Aren't they forgiving of these contracts if you have to move somewhere they don't offer service? (work transfer/ etc)

What's a little white lie to Shaw?

My Ride
    Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    Just switched to TELUS from Shaw. Wow what a difference already. Got the Gigabit internet for $75. (85 deal, $200 bill credit for employee referral, and $10 a month discount because im a CoE employee)

Better than the $122 Shaw was going to charge me for 300. I was actually disappointed in Shaws customer service. They didn't seem to care I was disconnecting during the 2 phone calls leading up to my disconnection. The online chat woman tried, but she didn't really have much more to offer me.
    damn, howd you score that. I only got the $85 deal and $150 online credit, the employee referral deal they said they couldnt stack and it worked out to only $50/item you suscribed to(i.e TV,phone,security,internet)

i also spent 2.5 hours the first time with with shaw retention and it got disconnected, tried again in the morning and another 2 hour wait which they offered $85 for 300 which was the best deal they could offer(i was paying $68.25 tax in for 600 on the 2 year retention promo)

anyways, the technicians came out today to do some wires in my back yard to prepare for my appointment at the end of the month, im stoked to see the difference for FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Sorath View Post
    damn, howd you score that. I only got the $85 deal and $150 online credit, the employee referral deal they said they couldnt stack and it worked out to only $50/item you suscribed to(i.e TV,phone,security,internet)

i also spent 2.5 hours the first time with with shaw retention and it got disconnected, tried again in the morning and another 2 hour wait which they offered $85 for 300 which was the best deal they could offer(i was paying $68.25 tax in for 600 on the 2 year retention promo)

anyways, the technicians came out today to do some wires in my back yard to prepare for my appointment at the end of the month, im stoked to see the difference for FTTH
    You will not be disappointed.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
    Some people have been able to get Telus to give them a credit that would cover any Shaw early termination fees, at least according to a thread on Red Flag Deals.
    Must have changed, when I asked 18 months ago Telus wouldn't pay my ECF to switch, but they did end up giving me $200 bill credit(which I think was more because I was part of their EPP program) which more or less covered it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Must have changed, when I asked 18 months ago Telus wouldn't pay my ECF to switch, but they did end up giving me $200 bill credit(which I think was more because I was part of their EPP program) which more or less covered it anyways.
    Good to know... I called Telus and they wouldn't give me a timeline so I might as well lock in with Shaw again anyways. I'm more amazed how Telus doesn't even discount their 1990s internet, they wanted more for 50mbit for more than Shaw wants for 600

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

FTTH is going to be more or less obsolete for residential/light commercial applications very shortly. Tech like 802.11 ax, 60GHZ last-mile wireless, and the like offer faster connections than wired with far less infrastructure required.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast