Quantcast
TELUS fibre (FTTH) - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: TELUS fibre (FTTH)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think now that the weather is better and virus concerns are subsiding, you won't have to wait as long as I did. Just make sure they are putting the right notes in their system as each piece of the install gets done, as there are 2-3 separate departments that do it and if things get out of order, you might be waiting a while.

Totally worth it though, it's just objectively so much better than anything else and it's cheaper than my Shaw 600/20 by a couple bucks a month. I got $200 bill credit but I signed up in February, so I am not sure if that is still a thing.

Perhaps the most shocking thing about this whole process is when I called Shaw to cancel, after being a customer for ~15 years, they didn't even so much as ask why I was canceling, and they did not transfer me to retentions (that part I thought was mandatory). They couldn't care less that I was canceling and it was a 5 min phone call tops.
    Booked an install for Saturday hopefully it goes smoothly. Sounds like due to covid they do all the work outside then give directions over the phone for the rest.

$300 bill credit with TV and about $30 cheaper/month than what we're paying now due to cell phone credit and Netflix included.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly with the overlap of both services because we need interwebs and phone to WFH....
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    Booked an install for Saturday hopefully it goes smoothly. Sounds like due to covid they do all the work outside then give directions over the phone for the rest.

$300 bill credit with TV and about $30 cheaper/month than what we're paying now due to cell phone credit and Netflix included.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly with the overlap of both services because we need interwebs and phone to WFH....
    Shit, you got a better deal than me haha but maybe that's because you also got TV (I just did internet).

The work I had to do inside myself was extremely simple, they fished the fiber into my basement and I just had to get on a ladder and pull it through. Then I had to snap a connector on the end of it, clean it with an alcohol swab, and plug it into the modem (DO NOT look into the fiber if they turn it on before it's plugged into the terminal). If you need a router I think they give you one too, but most people I imagine are using their own router, so all you will need to do is unplug the ethernet cable from your Shaw modem and plug it into the Telus terminal and you're up and running. There was zero wait time to "activate" or anything, it just worked instantly as if nothing had ever been changed, except my speeds were way better and my ping was 8 times lower.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you, let us know how it is

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Might be coming soon, I drove through the older part of my neighborhood today and they were trenching fiber everywhere.
    Is there any information available on where Telus is planning to put fiber for older communities?

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Shit, you got a better deal than me haha but maybe that's because you also got TV (I just did internet).

The work I had to do inside myself was extremely simple, they fished the fiber into my basement and I just had to get on a ladder and pull it through. Then I had to snap a connector on the end of it, clean it with an alcohol swab, and plug it into the modem (DO NOT look into the fiber if they turn it on before it's plugged into the terminal). If you need a router I think they give you one too, but most people I imagine are using their own router, so all you will need to do is unplug the ethernet cable from your Shaw modem and plug it into the Telus terminal and you're up and running. There was zero wait time to "activate" or anything, it just worked instantly as if nothing had ever been changed, except my speeds were way better and my ping was 8 times lower.

Nice, I already have the line in my basement from the builder so it sounds like the end just needs to be cleaned up. There is a bunch of paint on the end of the cable.

If you're a Telus mobility customer as well that $85/mo gigabit goes to $75/mo.

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Is there any information available on where Telus is planning to put fiber for older communities?
    Define older. Both ES community and mine have FTTH - his has homes dating back 100 years while our community dates back to 1955.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Define older. Both ES community and mine have FTTH - his has homes dating back 100 years while our community dates back to 1955.
    I used to live right by you guys and no FTTH. It’s really a crapshoot, you just have to check with Telus.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-27-2020 at 09:21 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Anyone know how long after the construction crew leaves your neighbourhood, to when it becomes available? I think APL was here 2-3 weeks ago, but still not an option for me.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I used to love right by you guys and no FTTH. It’s really a crapshoot, you just have to check with Telus.
    I used to live right by you and I had FTTH.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Define older. Both ES community and mine have FTTH
    I do believe that you have answered your own question, sir.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    no mention of upload speeds....

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Haha yea those are gonna suck. But hey it’s Fibre+ (More like Fibre*)

Shaw must be bleeding subscribers right now.

fact.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    no mention of upload speeds....
    Up to 25 Mbps uploads

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Up to 25 Mbps uploads
    And for an extra $30/month more than what Telus is charging for symmetrical gigabit.

I need Shaw to up their game as my Telus contract ends this December.

Currently paying $60/month for 750/750 with unlimited data, doubt they will let me continue at that without some comparable plan from Shaw I can mention haha.
    ---

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    I need Shaw to up their game as my Telus contract ends this December.

Currently paying $60/month for 750/750 with unlimited data, doubt they will let me continue at that without some comparable plan from Shaw I can mention haha.
    Not true. Just call in and say you want to cancel. Say times are tough wondering what they can offer. My last time I called 3 months ago to get onto the 750/750 plan, I just said people on internet seem to post getting better deals than me, a long time customer, and wondering if anything you can do, and they always give me a good deal. Might not be as good as $60 a month (I pay $85 for same) but it's locked in for another 2 years and pretty decent. With their gig offering at $85 you should be able to get that even as existing customer...or keep your 750 for cheaper. Been a telus customer personally for like 11 years continuously now, only paid full price probably for about 2 years, mostly because I didn't want to switch when my initial contract was over (love the service, no reason to leave) and only started looking into deals because of my parents who are on a fixed income and want to save where they can.

I have Telus coming to do install. Not sure if it's worth a try, but just quote "EPP Employee" and see if you get further discounts somehow. They didn't even check how/why and just started discounting $10 off per month because I'm a mobility customer, $10 off there for packages and $200 credit for switching.

Total came out to $155/mo for Gigabit, Optic 4 TV w/Netflix and Home video monitoring. Did a comparison with Shaw + Netflix + Home Monitoring and is saving us $40/mo to upgrade the internet and adding video monitoring pretty much. Constantly getting disconnected from conference calls was the last straw with Shaw even after multiple modem reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzes View Post
    I have Telus coming to do install. Not sure if it's worth a try, but just quote "EPP Employee" and see if you get further discounts somehow. They didn't even check how/why and just started discounting $10 off per month because I'm a mobility customer, $10 off there for packages and $200 credit for switching.

Total came out to $155/mo for Gigabit, Optic 4 TV w/Netflix and Home video monitoring. Did a comparison with Shaw + Netflix + Home Monitoring and is saving us $40/mo to upgrade the internet and adding video monitoring pretty much. Constantly getting disconnected from conference calls was the last straw with Shaw even after multiple modem reboots.
    Did you do this over the phone or when the telus people came to your door? They are starting to connect next week and said that sales people will be coming around to talk contracts. Want to know if I should even waste my time with them or just call in.

I just called them. Kept getting emails from Telus to call this number or that number and quote "EPP Employee" to get special pricing.

Install when pretty well. He showed up @ noon and drove away around 5pm!

He was able to move from where the original copper came in to a better place (since it was in our basement bathroom ceiling). He even went back to the CO to get a 10m fiber cable so I have some extra length to play with.

The tv boxes took forever to provision and we ended swamping out the PVR because he thought it was bad.

He spent most of the time on the phone with network support. They kept having to adjust the QOS. At first I had a 6/1 profile then 940/20 finally 940/944!

They forward our phone from Shaw for the next few days before they port the number so it's seamless which is nice as well.

I thought we were done @ 4 but he was in his truck having the network team check the services to make sure everything was good before he left.

After all that I haven't had time yet to put the router in bridge mode and swap everything from Shaw... maybe tonight!

I'll have to call them tomorrow too because I don't see any of the new service in mytelus and I need to link the Netfix accounts.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast