Quantcast
TELUS fibre (FTTH) - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: TELUS fibre (FTTH)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh yah i thought it was suppose to come with one actually but it didn't, they said they can rent it for like $5/month.

I'm going to contact them though thanks for the heads-up.

With that said is it normal for fiber optic signal to get lost quickly when you go outside?

Lets say the Modem is right by the outside wall should the signal be the same outside 5 feet away as it is inside 5 feet from the modem?
    The fact that you have Fibre running into your home doesn't change the fact that the telus (and shaw) wifi still sucks. Bridge that modem and use a good one you provide yourself. I like the Asus options, but there's lots of good ones out there. Don't rent wifi devices from telus.

- - - Updated - - -

read these threads: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/409...ferrably-ASAP)
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/397...ed-wifi-review

I get really nice coverage inside and out from a single Asus RT-AC86U.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

With that said is it normal for fiber optic signal to get lost quickly when you go outside?
    That's not how that works, I presume you are talking about WiFi? The signal varies greatly when passing through walls. Your outside walls will have resistance to the signal than your interior walls as they wouldn't have all the insulation, siding, wrap etc etc.

Oh yah i thought it was suppose to come with one actually but it didn't, they said they can rent it for like $5/month.

I'm going to contact them though thanks for the heads-up.

Lets say the Modem is right by the outside wall should the signal be the same outside 5 feet away as it is inside 5 feet from the modem?
    Your router doesn't know or care if your signal is fiber or copper - if you have proper speeds when hardwired but poor speeds on wireless, it's your router or environment. As mentioned above, the built in WiFi routers the telcom models have are garbage compared to a decent dedicated router. These are the best and most thorough router reviews I've come across if you're shopping: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tool...rs/router/view

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Here is a question, anyone ever worked to add an extension to the fibre where it comes into the house?

My fibre terminates in an electrical box hidden in my guest bedroom off in a corner of my house which is pretty non ideal, wondering if I can run an extension to the fibre to a better location where I can keep all my network shit together.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Here is a question, anyone ever worked to add an extension to the fibre where it comes into the house?

My fibre terminates in an electrical box hidden in my guest bedroom off in a corner of my house which is pretty non ideal, wondering if I can run an extension to the fibre to a better location where I can keep all my network shit together.
    You can splice fiber, so it can be done.

I don't know if it has changed or not, but it's normally a dedicated fiber modem, and then ethernet from there to the router from your ISP. If you can get Ethernet from the fiber location to where you want your router to be, then just leave the fiber modem in that location and setup your router where it works best for you.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

In theory, yeah it can be done. But it'd be a lot easier to just leave the fiber modem there and then run a Cat6 cable to wherever you want the rest of your network gear and then run your wifi from there. Not ideal as it all being together but way cheaper / easier to run cat6 than splice fiber.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The fact that you have Fibre running into your home doesn't change the fact that the telus (and shaw) wifi still sucks. Bridge that modem and use a good one you provide yourself. I like the Asus options, but there's lots of good ones out there. Don't rent wifi devices from telus.

- - - Updated - - -

read these threads: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/409...ferrably-ASAP)
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/397...ed-wifi-review

I get really nice coverage inside and out from a single Asus RT-AC86U.
    Sorry guys I meant from the modem we are using (I got a neatgear R7000 router but it's not being used) The house isn't large only around 1,200SQ feet total and I'm not worried about wifi much as I'm directly hooked up via a Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch. (Ethernet switch)

Just found it strange the signal really went to crap when we tried to run a speedtest on the wifi from the modem when outside. (using speedtest.net and fast.com)

Yes I realize I could buy a router or use the one we have but the signal from the R7000 was complete shit always so we decided to have a cat5 cable go from the basement to the modem on the main floor and then back to the Ethernet network switch. (it's where it was when we had Shaw and reduing all the cables in the house would be a pain in the ass)

Last edited by Kobe; 02-18-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    rally pig

How do you configure IP Passthrough or bridge mode on the Actiontec T3200 router?
    I don't have Telus FTTH but trying to help a friend figure out how he can install his Ubiquity router for VPN access.
    He said he tried to enable IP Passthrough but it was asking for a password.

Shouldnt he be able to put the T3200 into bridge mode and put his Ubiquity router in bridge mode?
    Or bypass the T3200 completely and plug his Ubiquity directly to the ONT?

Got the gigabit connection from telus installed yesterday. I've kept shaw 300mbps up and running as I'm testing the differences. I've noticed the wifi in the basement is brutal for telus. I see I'll have a bit of reading to do with all that everyones shared.

Hard wired max speed so far was 945mbps down 945 upload.

Wifi on my cell on main floor got to 480 down 365 upload. On shaw my cell was was 60mbps down 13 upload. Wifes phone pushed 600mbps download 450 upload. Her shaw was equally as bad. Laptop wifi pushed 500 to 600 mbps on different tests where shaw was also crap.

In the basement the desktop, ps4 had faster speeds with shaw then telus. Wifi with telus wouldnt push past 80mbps.

Shaw called me yesterday and when they learned telus was at the house installing at that moment they offered a bill credit of $250 and 600mbps for $70.

Suppose I need to read about the solutions posted for the basement if I'll stay with telus.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, you need real wifi on top of Anything from Shaw or Telus.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yeah, you need real wifi on top of Anything from Shaw or Telus.
    For sure. I never paid attention to how bad their devices were but it's clear now how much your losing. Surprised the connection can be that poor in the basement with telus.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    Got the gigabit connection from telus installed yesterday.
    Did they have to dig? They told me to call back in the Spring, even though I have aerial cable.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Did they have to dig? They told me to call back in the Spring, even though I have aerial cable.
    Shaw wouldn't do an install on my aerial if there was a single flake of snow on the roof of my garage... said their HSE team wouldn't allow it.

Do you have an existing low voltage conduit from detached garage to house? Maybe they don't realize that they just need to fish it rather than excavate to install a conduit.
    Worst case, if you can get them to leave you a string of clearcurve fibre, you can hire your own electrician to fish it for you... I ended up doing that instead of waiting 2 months for their install contractor.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Shaw wouldn't do an install on my aerial if there was a single flake of snow on the roof of my garage... said their HSE team wouldn't allow it.

Do you have an existing low voltage conduit from detached garage to house? Maybe they don't realize that they just need to fish it rather than excavate to install a conduit.
    Worst case, if you can get them to leave you a string of clearcurve fibre, you can hire your own electrician to fish it for you... I ended up doing that instead of waiting 2 months for their install contractor.
    Funny, Shaw installed mine in December with a foot of ice/snow on my garage roof haha. Maybe my guy just didn't GAF.

I do have existing conduit from the garage to the house (I believe Shaw is using it currently). They apparently did a "site survey" which confirmed they have to dig, but now that I think about it, with the conduit I don't know what they would possibly have to dig. I wonder if they just did a shitty job on the survey...

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Funny, Shaw installed mine in December with a foot of ice/snow on my garage roof haha. Maybe my guy just didn't GAF.

I do have existing conduit from the garage to the house (I believe Shaw is using it currently). They apparently did a "site survey" which confirmed they have to dig, but now that I think about it, with the conduit I don't know what they would possibly have to dig. I wonder if they just did a shitty job on the survey...
    I'd get them on the phone again and make it very clear that you already have a low voltage conduit and just need the fibre to be fished... They don't seem to communicate well internally and I had 4 different techs come out who didn't know that it needed to be connected from house to garage.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I had my Telus guy work real hard to find a fish option because he wasn’t allowed to drill my stucco in -30 for liability reasons, just too much propensity to crack.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    I'd get them on the phone again and make it very clear that you already have a low voltage conduit and just need the fibre to be fished... They don't seem to communicate well internally and I had 4 different techs come out who didn't know that it needed to be connected from house to garage.
    I called them again, they said my whole area is on "lockdown" until the Spring (March/April depending on thaw this year). Apparently, they have to dig something - maybe in the alley? The guy I talked to could only read the survey notes so he didn't have a ton of info. My back yard is primarily a sealed concrete pad and there is no way I am letting them dig anything haha. I assume they just use the same connection points as Shaw, I really don't know for sure.

My Ride
    ute

So Telus sent me a letter saying they are doing Fibre installs in my area...which makes me happy.

I assume if all of the lines are buried in my community, they won't be hanging fibre everywhere now?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Nah, they have duct running everywhere underground. They may need to add some duct, that would be directional drilled. That makes a bit of a mess, but it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Nah, they have duct running everywhere underground. They may need to add some duct, that would be directional drilled. That makes a bit of a mess, but it will be worth it.
    Nothing's underground in my mid-50's community.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast