Quantcast
TELUS fibre (FTTH) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 20 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: TELUS fibre (FTTH)

Default TELUS fibre (FTTH)

TELUS FTTH (fiber to the home) - who's got it, who's getting it soon?

We've have had fibre to our home since it was put into service on our block, started with the 50Mbps plan and just this past week bumped up to the 150Mbps plan because it was cheaper than what we were paying for 50. Easily getting more than 150 up and down, quite happy with the service and my 40% discount makes it even better.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Default Re: TELUS fibre (FTTH)

Originally posted by speedog
    TELUS FTTH (fiber to the home) - who's got it, who's getting it soon?

just this past week bumped up to the 150Mbps plan because it was cheaper than what we were paying for 50.

Same boat as you. We were paying more for the 50 and switched to 150 for little cheaper. Telus tech comes tomorrow. Can you tell a difference from 50 to 150?
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

We have it in evergreen, it's cheaper for us to. I don't even notice the 150 being faster.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

i guess the only difference will be in the speed test.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

We have Telus fibre in our condo building and it isn't very good. Have had the tech come and tell me "oh its because of all the interference because its a condo building and you are close to downtown". So they installed this 5G adapter and lo and behold it still sucks.

I think you should be able to watch videos on youtube/facebook without constant buffering on fibre no?

Can't honestly say I've seen any differences between 50 and 150, maybe gamers would but a gamer I am not.
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by lasimmon
    We have Telus fibre in our condo building and it isn't very good. Have had the tech come and tell me "oh its because of all the interference because its a condo building and you are close to downtown". So they installed this 5G adapter and lo and behold it still sucks.

I think you should be able to watch videos on youtube/facebook without constant buffering on fibre no?
    Is it fibre to your unit or only to the building?

Also never have had any buffering issues on 50 or 150 whether on wifi or wired.
    Last edited by speedog; 12-20-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Pretty sure the Unit as I have googled model of the unit that is connected to the wall and its some Fibre thing (I am not that tech knowledgeable haha)

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Pretty sure the Unit as I have googled model of the unit that is connected to the wall and its some Fibre thing (I am not that tech knowledgeable haha)
    Little white box?

Yup

Faster internet doesn't do much for gamers as long as the ping is still good (which is probably the same or similar on 50 vs 150 Mbps) and assuming of course there is enough bandwidth to play the game to begin with.

It makes an enormous difference for heavy downloaders, or households with lots of people streaming at the same time. Even when you download an update for a game, program, etc. if it takes 1/3 the time that's great.

If you just surf the web and are generally a light user, you will probably notice zero difference.

I'm just glad fast internet seems to be getting much cheaper than it was previously for everyone.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Faster internet doesn't do much for gamers as long as the ping is still good (which is probably the same or similar on 50 vs 150 Mbps) and assuming of course there is enough bandwidth to play the game to begin with.
    Exactly. And fibre is kind when it comes to ping. 4ms ping on my new telus fibre through wireless I remember "back in the day" with Shaw's 50mbps package when that was "extreme" and wired you were still getting anywhere from 30-50ms

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Exactly. And fibre is kind when it comes to ping. 4ms ping on my new telus fibre through wireless I remember "back in the day" with Shaw's 50mbps package when that was "extreme" and wired you were still getting anywhere from 30-50ms
    With games though it's the ping to the game server is what can be the killer, no matter how good your home internet is or how good your ping to your ISP is.

Depends on the game I'm sure, but what I have found with every first person shooter I have tried to play in the past several years is that 99% of servers are in the USA, and your ping is 3-4X worse than all the people playing in California or whatever, so unless everyone you're playing against has the reaction time of an 80 year old, you are always at a massive disadvantage. I've stopped playing them almost entirely due to this.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I got the 150 FTTH as well, had it since they got it in Evergreen. Love my 160+ up and down, I definitely notice the difference, but I am a power user. Was on 25 and 50 before this.....didn't need more than 50...but cuz of shaw match deal went on 150...not sure if I can ever go back to slower haha.

Telus doesn't have fibre in my area, and the "bonded" connections suck.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Am on Telus internet 15. Can stream two netflix shows simultaneously without buffering. Can't understand the point of faster internet.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    Am on Telus internet 15. Can stream two netflix shows simultaneously without buffering. Can't understand the point of faster internet.
    I am on the 25 plan. for 95% of the time it is great. But when I am D/Ling a game for the XB1 or uploading to youtube, I would kill for those 150 numbers.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    I assume you only drive a 130hp car?

On Telus 150

Works better then Shaw 150 in my area

response to 8.8.8.8 was consistently 60 ms with Shaw and now down to 16 ms

also so far am not experiencing the same loss that I had with Shaw.

for the Shaw lovers, Shaw has come out and replaced the fibre once
    their media converter 4 times
    "their refresh on their end" probably shut no shut

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Fun fact, and the main reason FTTH from Telus is really my only option. I use plex at home for all my media, and my parents and sister in Vancouver access my server to view remotely using Roku players. You can adjust the quality of the stream from lower bitrate transcoded...or run a direct stream like it's local. For fun was watching Planet Earth 2 at their place yesterday (~10gb file for 58 min episode)...it was 20mbps stream, watched it all at this high bitrate without so much as a hiccup. Then I realized that my upload is like 168mbps....which means I can have 8 people watching....at full bitrate...and they should all be able to keep up

This was more an example for RealJimmyJames as to why anyone needs faster internet. I utilize mine pretty heavily and it never skips a beat.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 11 ... LastLast